AFL knock back Gaza humanitarian aid advertising at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering Mike Carlton's disgraceful treatment by Fairfax over his Pro-Palestinian articles and responding to trolls on twitter, not surprised the AFL took this 'soft option' instead of doing what is morally right.

His treatment was nothing to do with his articles.

His treatment was nothing to do with his articles.

In my opinion it was .. If it was due to his (admittedly overzealous) emails and reactions to twitter trolls, then Miranda Devine would be fired as well for her disgusting homophobic tweet to a young gay follower...

In my opinion it was .. If it was due to his (admittedly overzealous) emails and reactions to twitter trolls, then Miranda Devine would be fired as well for her disgusting homophobic tweet to a young gay follower...

You're not seriously saying that Fairfax would sack someone for being Pro Palestinian?

Surely its more likely he was sacked for abusing readers, especially considering Fairfax doesn't have many left?

Your opinion is noted. I however think it was the unprofessional behaviour which cost him, not the professionally written opinion piece he put out.

World Vision apolitical... ROFL.

Not saying the fundraising doesn't have merit, but WV latching onto latest high profile cause which will get plenty of support from the anti Israeli lobby as opposed to perhaps highlighting the suffering of Christians in South Sudan & Nigeria.

Oh look, suddenly I am making the issue politico-religious, just what the Afl wants to avoid.

Your opinion is noted. I however think it was the unprofessional behaviour which cost him, not the professionally written opinion piece he put out.

To be fair, Carlton did cop a series of abusive/threatening emails since his first article on the Gaza conflict was published.

I am not condoning his angry and abusive responses to his critics at all, but his firing does seem politically motivated, esp as he wrote an amusing satire article on Rupert Murdoch not that long ago ago as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So on one hand the AFL are money grubbers of the highest order and and will make a buck out of anything and on the other they deny someone some advertising space and now they are ...... ! ...?

no disrespect but seriously, they have been killing each other for centuries so why start with this petty world vision when most of it goes into the organizations back pockets anyways?
We are best sticking to local affairs as opposed to getting involved with countries that will remain uncivilized for all eternity.

I have worked as a promoter with World Vision before. If I recall correctly around 78% of money raised makes it to those in need. Beyond this they have been consistently audited by PwC who have declared them to have some of the most transparent books around.

Disagree with the decision AFL has taken, humanitarian appeal to help children in war-torn area which this time just happens to be Palestine; if it was Rwanda or Sudan would the advert have been blocked?

World Vision can advertise as much as they want. There is simply no need to pin their marketing to Gaza. It is clearly done deliberately to be provocative.

If Gill cannot resolve ticketing/food prices/fixture/MRP/roof/goal review/etc. and 10 consecutive US presidents cannot make a shit lick of difference, I think it is wise for the AFL to distance themselves from all middle eastern conflict.

To be fair, Carlton did cop a series of abusive/threatening emails since his first article on the Gaza conflict was published.

I see that as no justification for his actions. If it were justification the vile vitriol written in the general direction of the twerp Bolt would justify him firing back with such langauge after every article he pens.

No issue with humanitarian aid in Gaza, but it would have to be completely depoliticised and rightly so.

Also, this isn't the right board for this.

Fairfax is hardly a pro-Israel paper these days...you can't have a journalist expressing a subjective opinion in a national newspaper for money and then publicly insulting people who disagree. He gets paid to ignore the trolls.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL knock back Gaza humanitarian aid advertising at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back