AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 20 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So there's no sprint? That seems to be the biggest flaw from what I can see, I can deal with the rest haha, it's sounding fairly solid!

Ok, so have messed around with the custom teams a fair bit this afternoon. Have created WA, SA and Allies State of Origin sides (was going to do Qld/NT, NSW/ACT and Tassie, but there's just not enough players and squads have to be 40 minimum to be usable).

Also created GWS (once you select their logo, you can choose their jumper). Have made GWS to be JUST within the playable online salary cap and I have to tell you... I have had to raid every team for their cheapest players! GWS have a rating of 1/5 as a result.

Some screenshots of GWS in action, beating Sydney at ANZ Stadium (Pro settings):

17042011025.jpg

17042011026.jpg

Lolz at Fevola being made captain (AI chose this, not me)
17042011024.jpg

17042011012.jpg

17042011014.jpg

17042011017.jpg

17042011018.jpg

17042011019.jpg

17042011020.jpg

Momentum really does work so you can flog teams on Pro if you concentrate hard and get a few goals up. As you can see by the scores here...
17042011021.jpg

17042011022.jpg

My impressions of custom teams/create-a-player:

THE GOOD
- When you create a team or a player, a randomly generated one appears by default, which you then edit. Seems almost limitless as to what is randomly generated (so far). Have genned 50 or so players, but only around half a dozen teams.
- Can put any player into any team.
- You can assign a "call" name to a custom player, so Cometti will say their name during commentary. You can use either pretty much any AFL player's surname (except for Matera! WHY???) or a (long) list of pre-designated nicknames (and some really weird ones, too).

THE BAD
- GWS logo and guernsey available.
- Limited logos for custom teams.
- Limited guernsey designs for custom teams. About half a dozen designs and around a dozen colour schemes (each scheme has 3 colours).
- Salary cap is extremely restrictive for a custom team.
- Teams have to have 40 players minimum to be usable.
- Can't take breached cap custom teams into a custom comp.
- Can't alter the Bonus team lineups (Victoria, All-Stars, Indigenous).
- Can't save custom teams and set the AFL sides back to their original squads. You can reset the squads, but you lose the players in your custom teams.
- Can't set positional (starting) lineups until your in a competition. Lineups do save for subsequent matches in that comp, however. Don't think you can alter your lineup online.
- Can't select a captain for your team. It appears to default to the best player (could be wrong... after Sydney were altered, Bradshaw was made their captain... they still had Goodes).
- Created players cannot be "born" before 1970. Not sure why this was the limit, as such a player would be 41. Surely this could have been made limitless so we could create classic players if so inclined.

THE WORKAROUNDS
- There is a character limit to team names. Couldn't name a team "Western Australia", as that was too long. Could fit maybe "Western A". To get around this, named them "Western" and then put "Australia" in the nickname section (you have to have a nickname anyway). Also, you get to put in their short name (in this case, "WA"), which is simple but cool. For the record, I gave the Allies a nickname of "NSW/Q/NT/Tas", which just fit.
- Players don't retain guernsey numbers when traded. They take, I believe, the next lowest available. When making state sides, I built the team, then delisted them all. Then worked out what order to select them from the delisted players list to give them the appropriate number (unfortunately, you can't skip a guernsey number either).
- If you start a competition and then edit any of the team lists, the lists of teams in the competition are preserved. Start any new comp after editing and you get an edited team list as such.
- Can only use custom teams in custom comps (there's custom season, custom cup and custom finals). Can't use them in the 2011 season or NAB Cup.
- Can make WA and SA state teams with semi-close colour schemes. Best one for WA is yellow/black/red with a design of yellow body, black "Eagles" like wings (although they join to make a full yolk on the back), black shorts and very little red. SA has a V-type design available (think a big fat V that would be made if you joined all of Fremantle's Vs into a big fat one), with a colour scheme of red body, blue V with white outline and blue shorts. Allies I went with an orangey/blue/white scheme, but there's not a lot on offer here.

There's probably more I've missed. Will maybe try and get some shots of WA, SA and Allies.

It's funny that people pre-release were saying things like "Do you honestly think after all these years they got something as basic as the player's numbers wrong" only to have Big Ant get a player's name wrong! :eek:
To be fair "Jeff Darling" was only drafted last year.

Anybody created a player yet? if so, is it easy to do and not time consuming if you wanted to get through a heap of depth players for a custom squad.

Second part to that, can you edit Speed as an atrribute? maybe only the genuine quick guys like Wojo, Deledio, Davey, Etc are really fast in the game, or just in general are you guys saying every single player is slow?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont mean to sound so negative

um positives - positives

handballs are good
ruck is nice and challenging - good concept - better than meter systems
its an AFL game
theres enough fun element in the game for most people
i like the player realism when up close
stadiums look great

oops double post

look AFL is a ridiculously hard sport to make into a video game

i dont think there will ever be a game that will do our sport true justice

you can see BigAnt have tried and put a lot of effort into this

you can see this is a first attempt and is very raw

i hope Big Ant get success from this and get the opportunity to improve on this effort

in about another 2 -3 years / versions it would could be a well polished game

My impressions of custom teams/create-a-player:

THE GOOD
- When you create a team or a player, a randomly generated one appears by default, which you then edit. Seems almost limitless as to what is randomly generated (so far). Have genned 50 or so players, but only around half a dozen teams.
- Can put any player into any team.
- You can assign a "call" name to a custom player, so Cometti will say their name during commentary. You can use either pretty much any AFL player's surname (except for Matera! WHY???) or a (long) list of pre-designated nicknames (and some really weird ones, too).

THE BAD
- GWS logo and guernsey available.
- Limited logos for custom teams.
- Limited guernsey designs for custom teams. About half a dozen designs and around a dozen colour schemes (each scheme has 3 colours).
- Salary cap is extremely restrictive for a custom team.
- Teams have to have 40 players minimum to be usable.
- Can't take breached cap custom teams into a custom comp.
- Can't alter the Bonus team lineups (Victoria, All-Stars, Indigenous).
- Can't save custom teams and set the AFL sides back to their original squads. You can reset the squads, but you lose the players in your custom teams.
- Can't set positional (starting) lineups until your in a competition. Lineups do save for subsequent matches in that comp, however. Don't think you can alter your lineup online.
- Can't select a captain for your team. It appears to default to the best player (could be wrong... after Sydney were altered, Bradshaw was made their captain... they still had Goodes).
- Created players cannot be "born" before 1970. Not sure why this was the limit, as such a player would be 41. Surely this could have been made limitless so we could create classic players if so inclined.

THE WORKAROUNDS
- There is a character limit to team names. Couldn't name a team "Western Australia", as that was too long. Could fit maybe "Western A". To get around this, named them "Western" and then put "Australia" in the nickname section (you have to have a nickname anyway). Also, you get to put in their short name (in this case, "WA"), which is simple but cool. For the record, I gave the Allies a nickname of "NSW/Q/NT/Tas", which just fit.
- Players don't retain guernsey numbers when traded. They take, I believe, the next lowest available. When making state sides, I built the team, then delisted them all. Then worked out what order to select them from the delisted players list to give them the appropriate number (unfortunately, you can't skip a guernsey number either).
- If you start a competition and then edit any of the team lists, the lists of teams in the competition are preserved. Start any new comp after editing and you get an edited team list as such.
- Can only use custom teams in custom comps (there's custom season, custom cup and custom finals). Can't use them in the 2011 season or NAB Cup.
- Can make WA and SA state teams with semi-close colour schemes. Best one for WA is yellow/black/red with a design of yellow body, black "Eagles" like wings (although they join to make a full yolk on the back), black shorts and very little red. SA has a V-type design available (think a big fat V that would be made if you joined all of Fremantle's Vs into a big fat one), with a colour scheme of red body, blue V with white outline and blue shorts. Allies I went with an orangey/blue/white scheme, but there's not a lot on offer here.

There's probably more I've missed. Will maybe try and get some shots of WA, SA and Allies.

Cheers mate. A few points of mine based on your comments and what I know:

1) That GWS team you picked is pretty weak so if that's the limit for custom teams we will be in trouble.

2) So you can't play online if you go over the cap, which is fair enough although the cap should be higher, but you can't even play in custom comps? Does this mean you would be unable to have a custom state of origin comp, for example?

3) I had heard about the restrictive custom guernsey features. It's a bit of a shame but I guess there were more important things to work on. Hopefully the next version can allow people to upload images or edit guernseys on the computer.

4) I knew about the inability to select a captain and it's pretty silly. The captain doesn't really do anything in this game though, except the coin toss animation which you can't control. Not sure why Bradshaw would be rated about Goodes though. It seems like such an easy thing to allow for captain selection so to not offer it seems a bit odd. Hardly game-breaking though.

All in all I reckon I'm a little disappointed in the Footy Factory after hearing these views. I really hope there are ways around this restrictive salary cap. There would barely be any point taking a custom club online because, unless you play against another custom club, you will likely get smashed. I'm not sure why you couldn't just let any custom teams online but have their salary listed. If you come up against someone with a bazillion dollar salary, then just be careful about playing against them or not. Heck, even then it would hardly be much worse than playing against the Vics or All Stars.

i dont mean to sound so negative

um positives - positives

handballs are good
ruck is nice and challenging - good concept - better than meter systems
its an AFL game
theres enough fun element in the game for most people
i like the player realism when up close
stadiums look great

i've heard the commentary is top notch ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back