AFL Members shafted

Remove this Banner Ad

- afl members didn't have to pay for gf tickets when it went from vfl to afl m'ship, just an admin fee for ticketing. was about $5 so thats why members crack it!
-the mcg trust owns the mcg and is managed by the mcc.
-afl membership helped pay for the southern stand and i bet will invoke a fee rise to pay for the upgrade.
-afl members of competing clubs get first preference in a ballot for gf tickets and are not in the ballot for club member tickets.
-finally i can understand why fans get narky as clubs are money grabbing ie charging upto $1000 for guaranteed gf tickets. because these fees have gone thru the roof im sure the afl member fees will too to pay for player fees/ profit margins/ etc.

Like everything thing in life,things change and prices of grand final tickects will be no different. Be grateful that as a full afl member if your team competes you are assured a ticket. Thats a position alot of members and supporters would love to be in.

Actually no , the MCG trust runs the MCG , the MCC are the oldest tenants :)

As per the MCG information kit;

'The Melbourne Cricket Club manages the stadium and has progressively expanded the MCG’s role as both an entertainment centre and a world-class tourist destination.'

Link

In any case the only point I was trying to make (admitedly very unclearly!) was that the MCC will always get better treatment than the AFL at the MCG as they manage the stadium!

Actually the AFL members section does get bigger for the finals. They move the fence by about 2 bays. But there/s less space for AFL members.

I think it totals about 24,000 people.

However on Grand Final Day the AFL Members section contains a number of different groups:
Medallion Club 5,000 approx
AFL Executive and guests ???
Premiership Club 500 approx
Brownlow Medallists (2 ea) 100 approx
AFL Sponsors 1,000 approx
AFL Members 17,000 approx

The Outer totals around 53,000
The Outer contains a few groups too
Clubs (1,000 x 17) 17,000
Competing Clubs for internal distribution (1,000 x 2) 2,000
Club members (12,000 x 2) 24,000
AFL Sponsors 1,000?
Corporate Suites 1,000?
Dining Rooms 1,000?
AFL Event Office 7,000?

Pretty sure under the recently expired CBA that each listed player in the AFL receives 2 GF tickets each, so that's another 1200-1500 right there (though it could come under each club's allocation, I don't know).

Huh? do you have any idea how many AFL members there are that are Collingwood club support and St Kilda? Most of the allocation went to the competing teams.

you aren't foreced t buy legends memberships. once the pies drop off in a few years, join the afl, and by the time they're up, you'll be a full member and pay a HEAP less for ur membership, and wayyyyyy less for finals seats. what did you pay for all the finals seats in 2010? i bet you what you paid for 1 GF ticket, was what i paid for 2 GF tickets and all finals leading up to it
Most of the allocation went to competing teams? I don't believe that based on the competing teams members I knwo that couldn't get tickets and the non competing team members that did.

I know I am not forced hence the quote marks around the word - "forced". If I buy the legends membership I am guranteed a GF ticket if Collingwood compete. That catagory is capped and has a waiting list to ensure that gurantee can be honoured. This will all be evident when Collingwood financials are released to scare the pants off everyone else.

I am not complaining about what I spend. It's my choice. Not everyone can afford to do that however and if the ticket allocation was "fixed" they wouldn't need to.

Just by the way, it might be a long few years if you are holding your breath.

Isn't this thread about 4 weeks earlier than the usual Annual whinging thread about AFL Members & GF ticketing?

Funny thing is it is usually people whingeing about why AFL members get so many tickets, not about how expensive the tickets are at half the normal price. :eek:

Cut price footy fans are the AFL members. They chose not to support their own club.
The $130 that goesto clubs as 'club support' is a joke & demonstrates what sort of supporters AFL members really are.

Even AFL members with club support for the competing clubs on Grand Final day should get a right to reserved seating & this right should exist up to Wed night in Grand Final week.

As per the MCG information kit;

'The Melbourne Cricket Club manages the stadium and has progressively expanded the MCG’s role as both an entertainment centre and a world-class tourist destination.'

Link

In any case the only point I was trying to make (admitedly very unclearly!) was that the MCC will always get better treatment than the AFL at the MCG as they manage the stadium!

ok so when you said the mcc owns the mcg you were wwwwwwwwrong? :D

yes you will be the first cab off the rank!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the allocation went to competing teams? I don't believe that based on the competing teams members I knwo that couldn't get tickets and the non competing team members that did.

I know I am not forced hence the quote marks around the word - "forced". If I buy the legends membership I am guranteed a GF ticket if Collingwood compete. That catagory is capped and has a waiting list to ensure that gurantee can be honoured. This will all be evident when Collingwood financials are released to scare the pants off everyone else.

I am not complaining about what I spend. It's my choice. Not everyone can afford to do that however and if the ticket allocation was "fixed" they wouldn't need to.

Just by the way, it might be a long few years if you are holding your breath.

mark are you saying that afl members with coll club support members didnt get tix? i know that you have about 7.5k afl members. i would be supprised if the majority didnt get them but there is a ballot and there is also competition pack and silver members to get tix also.

Cut price footy fans are the AFL members. They chose not to support their own club.
The $130 that goesto clubs as 'club support' is a joke & demonstrates what sort of supporters AFL members really are.

Even AFL members with club support for the competing clubs on Grand Final day should get a right to reserved seating & this right should exist up to Wed night in Grand Final week.

the competition pack members are not affiliated to any club and are designed for non affiliated/ careless supporter, the club support pack are. i dont see that the money going to the clubs is a joke as its based on the 11 game member support and to suggest these members are less members is down right garbage. are you saying that depending on the level of money you contribute depends on whether your a better member? afl members on club support do get a right to a reserved seat via a ballot im not sure via normal member systems if that what you mean but considering clubs are now gouging fans by making them pay upto $1000 for guarenteed gf tix's i would not try to go through this way as i would consider it not fair!

What a load of crap. $130 is the same as most entry level game day packages, and unlike Essendon's rigid reserved ticket options, an AFL membership allows me to bring non-member guests to games.

MCC owns the MCG so count yourself lucky you AFL members are allowed to use it at all.

If you don't like the MCC/MCG arrangements for the GF then don't worry the contract is due to expire in approximately 40 years at which point it may change.

your assertion is still wrong, why wont you admit it that the language you used was incorrect. we wont move on till you own up:D:D:D!

went to buy tickets yesterday (tue morning) at exactly 9,and wouldnt let me select Level N saying it was exhausted.I was thinking how could they all be gone already.Then found out the AFL packages them up with a dining package and charges $100 for it.Ridicolous

went to buy tickets yesterday (tue morning) at exactly 9,and wouldnt let me select Level N saying it was exhausted.I was thinking how could they all be gone already.Then found out the AFL packages them up with a dining package and charges $100 for it.Ridicolous

Just wait until about midday today (wed) and suddenly Level N will be available.

I got level N for two of the three games. Front row for Collingwood v West Coast and also got level N for Hawthorn v Geelong. Missed the boat for Carlton v Essendon for level N, but got decent seats on the ground level:thumbsu:

What a load of crap. $130 is the same as most entry level game day packages, and unlike Essendon's rigid reserved ticket options, an AFL membership allows me to bring non-member guests to games.

Most clubs if not all of them for $130 don't offer GF seats as part of their package. Most clubs require members to pay alot more than $130 to guarentee access to G/F tickets.

That's already been covered off mate if u care to read back- I was just correcting the assertion that the MCG trust runs the MCG which is wrong...

No you weren't, I was the first poster to correct you incorrect statement that you believed the MCC owned the MCG and the club members and AFL members should get over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Members shafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back