AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Walsh eat your heart out!

public humiliation of being known as a stager is probably more embarrassing then the fine amount. Repeat offenders obviously just need to get fined more each time.

and wasnt the AFL suppose to blow the holding the ball or ball up whistle before these 360 tackles take effect? lol its a lot harder in practice isnt it AFL? lol

just remember, the AFL and its umpires are never wrong, lets just change the interpretation for a couple of weeks until it all blows over and its back to how it was 4+ weeks ago.

when did the AFL turn into the english premier league?

He then proceeded to grab his head and roll around like a witchetty grub.
Sounds great.

I think AFL fans on the whole are rather uncouth, unsophisticated. Sad that they cannot enjoy some good theatre.

The new dangerous tackle rules are an absolute time bomb imo

It really just struck me because Carlton instagram put out a highlights package of Carlton's tackling vs Geelong. And i reckon in almost every second tackle the Geelong players after being caught tried to face plant themselves to win a free kick. There's a really noticeable one in there where Blicavs actually holds his head up after the tackle as players would have done 2 years ago, but so frequently the player with the ball is now twisting themselves to be head down. There's another noticeable tackle where Dangerfield does this, and Cowan tackling him essentially slides an arm under his shoulders to hold his head off the ground.

Not to single out Geelong either, bwcause i expect you would see the same in any highlights package now.

But the AFL has created a monster where players have an incentive to face plant into the turf while their arms are pinned by a 100kg opponent, and for some players this might happen 8-10x in a match. Crazy...

The tackling rules have to be simplified and we have to go back to the clear cut "tackle between the knees and shoulders" with a single motion only, and if you do that well done. No more free kicks for a 'push in the back' when the tackler runs someone down from behind and they drop to their knees. No more free kicks for a 'lack of duty of care' or 'potential to cause harm' or other legalistic and fluffy terms. Instwad, Reward ball carriers who stand up in the tackle and create play and penalise those who lock it up or go to ground (as much as it frustrates opposition fans when Patrick Cripps swings around for 3 seconds with two blokes hanging off him, it is a damn sight better than having a 194cm midfielder faceplant into the turf to try and milk a free kick)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These threads get ruined with consistent references to Maynard and Daicos with no basis

Stick to the Facebook comments section where the rest of the cretins post their utter shit
Bigfooty doesn't have any more or any less credibility than Facebook lmfao. Does Facebook have people who claim to be ITK?
And who mentioned Maynard?

The reason players stage in soccer is not because they’re frail little pansies; they’re as tough as any elite sportspeople.

It’s because the scoring in soccer is so stupidly difficult that they’ll try literally anything to get that 0.000001% advantage.

That’s what makes staging in Aussie Rules so crappy. The scoring is free-flowing enough that we can almost always say the best team won.

Regardless of the result of the game, I disagree with staging for head injuries. Yes, milking a free for a push in the back from a marking contest may be part of the "skill" of the game, but the very rules brought in to protect the wellbeing of players from concussion/long term brain damage should be treated a bit differently, and not be used for a tactical advantage.

Just like when players lead with their head by ducking into a tackle - they are putting themselves at risk, and shouldn't be rewarded to continue to do so with a head high free kick.

It's also stupid to think May should be suspended for staging. At worst, a fine, but it really doesn't matter once the game is over - probably helps more if the AFLPA sends all players a message saying don't abuse what's been brought in to protect you.

The bigger issue is the umpires paid about 1 HTB for the first 3/4 of the game. The umpire has actually contributed to increasing the risk to the player, by not calling HTB or a ballup earlier. If the AFL is serious about preventing head injuries, just like they suspend a player (like Dangerwood), they should apply the same to the umpires.
Great post.
I’m as pissed with the umpire not calling HTB, so as to protect the player in this instance than May’s milking of the contact.
This is what the mid-season interpretation change was supposed to do.
Lasted all of about a week before manifesting in the absolute sludge we have now.
It’s on the AFL (looking at you Laura Kane) to step above their corporate buffoonery and actually show some leadership
A bit like wishing government will govern though…..

The new dangerous tackle rules are an absolute time bomb imo

It really just struck me because Carlton instagram put out a highlights package of Carlton's tackling vs Geelong. And i reckon in almost every second tackle the Geelong players after being caught tried to face plant themselves to win a free kick. There's a really noticeable one in there where Blicavs actually holds his head up after the tackle as players would have done 2 years ago, but so frequently the player with the ball is now twisting themselves to be head down. There's another noticeable tackle where Dangerfield does this, and Cowan tackling him essentially slides an arm under his shoulders to hold his head off the ground.

Not to single out Geelong either, bwcause i expect you would see the same in any highlights package now.

But the AFL has created a monster where players have an incentive to face plant into the turf while their arms are pinned by a 100kg opponent, and for some players this might happen 8-10x in a match. Crazy...

The tackling rules have to be simplified and we have to go back to the clear cut "tackle between the knees and shoulders" with a single motion only, and if you do that well done. No more free kicks for a 'push in the back' when the tackler runs someone down from behind and they drop to their knees. No more free kicks for a 'lack of duty of care' or 'potential to cause harm' or other legalistic and fluffy terms. Instwad, Reward ball carriers who stand up in the tackle and create play and penalise those who lock it up or go to ground (as much as it frustrates opposition fans when Patrick Cripps swings around for 3 seconds with two blokes hanging off him, it is a damn sight better than having a 194cm midfielder faceplant into the turf to try and milk a free kick)
The 'Sam Walsh maneuver' as we call it.

Bigfooty doesn't have any more or any less credibility than Facebook lmfao. Does Facebook have people who claim to be ITK?
I disagree. With a few notable exceptions, I’ve generally found my fellow Swans posters on BF to be articulate, witty and reasonable.

Then I joined a Swans group on Facebook and it’s a cesspit of barely literate partisan bogan mongrels.

Particularly bad cases of staging need to be a week off. May gently lowered his head onto the ground to con a free off of the umpires.

edit: Also clutching his head hurt in order to make the umpire think it was a serious injury, should've been forced into concussion protocols if he's going to pretend to be hurt.

Last edited:
Toump Ass he is on a long term deal
I would have thought a Kangaroo supporter would realise that contracts mean very little, given Horne Francis ran out of the place before he'd even been assigned a locker.

Fairly sure holding a North Melbourne player to their contract is some kind of human rights violation anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back