AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to this being applied consistently…….
I wish it would be, it's a blight on the game.

Mind you, p*** weak fines aren't going to change things.

I’m more concerned with the prospect of him being a pilot. Shouldn’t be allowed to happen.

It is ridiculous to offer him a $1200 fine if he pleads guilty. It's chump change for a chump and a slap with a wet lettuce leaf when it come to his yearly income. It needed to be a week at least for the second dumbest player in the team.

1719133556978.png

It is ridiculous to offer him a $1200 fine if he pleads guilty. It's chump change for a chump and a slap with a wet lettuce leaf when it come to his yearly income. It needed to be a week at least for the second dumbest player in the team.

View attachment 2028203
Not sure it' as much about the penalty as it is about the finding of guilt.

You could get 2 or 4 or 6 weeks but the thing that will stick is "May's a ****ing cheat."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL needs to crack down on staging, to date they just keep letting it go.

Should be zero tolerance and zero warning. 1 week for any offence.

It's a little disappointing that the Actress formerly known as Steven May only got $1875.00 fine, I don't think you can suspend someone for staging, but I like the idea that if a player tries to milk a free and grabs their head, they are immediately sent to the bench for a concussion test.

I really like the invocation of concussion protocols idea. I thought the same sort of thing decades ago with soccer. Any player writhing about on the ground, take him off he's obviously 'injured'. That got so bad I stopped watching it. I would do the same if it started happening as much as the other sorts of staging going on in Aussie Rules.
I also think the only way a player will feel shame is if all the media drones just said it plainly, "***** is a cheater." The same way they pick on some players for being soft.

I don't see what Steven May did qualifies as the Crime of the Century. Staging for free kicks is something we've seen for decades. It's up to umpires to not be conned. If you want to pay a free for staging, okay, but being fined I'm not comfortable with unless the player is a repeat offender.

We should have had sideline commentator Campbell Brown provide some input to what May looks like when he is truly concussed. He has up front evidence when he broke his jaw a few years ago on a Vegas trip that went horribly wrong.

May did a job on Larkey on the weekend and he also did a job on the umpires.

He has to be on the Podium for the biggest active flog in the game. Jake Melsham thinks so. Since that restaurant blow up by May, The Demons Club have been on ice skates since.

Maybe make them come of for a 20min concussion protocol.
Head hits the ground, holds his head, better to be safe right?
20min out of the game will stop players headbutting the ground to get a free kick.

I'd agree - but you could use this strategically as well. E.g. last 20 mins of the grand final, instruct your player to dump an oppo player on their head and put them through the 20 min protocol.

Should have went the Flair flop IMO to really sell it

ricflair-flop.gif

A fine and the shame of having been called out for staging should suffice for a first-time offender. (Assuming this is the first time)

I'd support a 2-week suspension for second-time offenders, which would equate to 1 week for each incident if the player is silly enough to not learn their lesson the first time around.

Staging seems to be getting worse.
Forget May and his laughable attempt to con a free kick, I noticed Ginnivan and a few of the Hawthorn forwards were doing it without any subtlety vs Richmond last week.
There seems to be a younger generation of footballers who watched the Selwood's, Grimes and alike stage for free kicks and get away with it for 15+ years. This younger generation does it by default because the AFL did nothing about it as it worsened.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Must Suspend Steven May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back