Game Day AFL NAB Challenge 1 match discussion - Gold Coast v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love seeing the young fellas take them on, might not work every time but that's generally what got them drafted and is a strength so they should use it. They also then work out how much quicker the game is at the top level and can adjust accordingly!
That's right- it's great to see them working on instinct and not overthinking things. Having the pressure off as far as it not being a 4 point game is probably a big help- but this is where it all starts for them, isn't it?

Overall , a bit like a very hot , rainy day in the PS. Slippery ball and hands , a lot of player trying to come to turns with th up pace of a game rathe rthan training.

Nearly all our kids show a glimpse but none sand Hey here I am , im best 22.... but first game , in these conditions tough gig imo

Gregson was like back to future. Burbs and Linc getting to the ball and then fumbling a bit etc. Showed a bit
Cockatooo quiet but no more than Motlop really
Gore , middle to back mostly but will better for this run
Clark ...really has not played for two years and it looks like it atm , let alone get used to be 2nd banana
Lang...really liked the look..Has grown a bit? Looks very fit.
The old boys really a saying yeah , yeah ..we are not ready to go yet. Kelly,Bartel,Enright,Stokes look as fit as I have seen them for some time.

oh and Lucey , he looks a little out of his depth atm.

The thing I liked most about it was that a lot of players get the red mist as soon as they apply a tackle. Smedts was smart enough to read the situation immediately and just from what we know of our Billie, he's the sort of player I'd expect to hang on in that situation and possibly try to drag his opponent to the ground, just to make a certainty of the free kick.
Yeah- you mean 'see ball, get ball'? I think he's come a long way in the past year when he sat out injured for a big whack of the season. Hopefully he sat up with a coach and actually learned about the game and was taught some tricks.
I'm really looking forward to seeing a big improvement from him this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right- it's great to see them working on instinct and not overthinking things. Having the pressure off as far as it not being a 4 point game is probably a big help- but this is where it all starts for them, isn't it?
I think that's where Billie has lost his confidence! By all reports he took them on at TAC level and had good agility but nowadays doesn't seem to have that confidence to just go for it. I don't mind players that get caught taking the game on, it's when they don't recognise a better option and don't use it that gets me frustrated. Look at Motlop, just goes for it, sometimes it doesn't work but you wouldn't want him any different.

Yeah- you mean 'see ball, get ball'? I think he's come a long way in the past year when he sat out injured for a big whack of the season. Hopefully he sat up with a coach and actually learned about the game and was taught some tricks.
I'm really looking forward to seeing a big improvement from him this year.

More just that it's easy to assume that he's going to do the dumb thing in a situation like that, that requires a split second decision. He instinctively did the smart thing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back