AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

You know this same Queensland Labor government opened its doors to the league in 2020? I don't think they're so pro-NRL as to want to cripple the AFL in Queensland, they just don't care and won't until they see lots of votes in backing an AFL stadium.
same govt but different leader ..... who by all accounts is fighting to save his job weeks out from a likely electoral loss

You know this same Queensland Labor government opened its doors to the league in 2020? I don't think they're so pro-NRL as to want to cripple the AFL in Queensland, they just don't care and won't until they see lots of votes in backing an AFL stadium.

The government, any government wants to be seen as being on a winner and advancing the state.
usually they could do the government thing and do nothing until it' absolutely necessary
but with the looming Olympic games they are in quandary.
They promised a cheap games.with a refurbishment of the Gabba only but now see that
Refurbishment isn't really going to cut it plus and it's a big plus, they have to build a temporary stadium as well.
IMO the government will see the sense paying a little more in building a new world class stadium in a better site.

It's not about AFL. AFL is still the major afterthought justification but it's about the Olympics, cricket, concerts and whatever.

As usual the federal government will want to be a part of this.

Now N.S.W. is totally different. There are votes in building rectangular stadiums and unfortunately/unbelievably
votes in being anti-AFL.

As a brand new footy fan, I'm quite comfortable in my interest in footy. Why are others so insecure?

As a very old footy fan, that spent the good portion of my life in Sydney I'm quite comfortable in my interest in footy too.

I can right pages as to the history of sabotage to the Australian game in Sydney, starting from the very beginning.
I can point out the modern history of the N.S.W. government spending $billions on rugby league.

Now, can you tell me what has been done for the Australian game on the positive side ?

As a very old footy fan, that spent the good portion of my life in Sydney I'm quite comfortable in my interest in footy too.

I can right pages as to the history of sabotage to the Australian game in Sydney, starting from the very beginning.
I can point out the modern history of the N.S.W. government spending $billions on rugby league.

I see the sabotage as well and feel incensed about it. It hasn't stopped for the hundred or so years it's been happening.

Now, can you tell me what has been done for the Australian game on the positive side ?
Not much.

It's disheartening.

Made worse still by footy fans joining in on the pile on about footy in Western Sydney

To be fair, Sydney is rugby league heartland in NSW. Governments are going to spend taxpayer dollars to appease as many as possible. AFL is growing, and it should continue to grow, but rugby league will always dominate Sydney.
A little bit like T20 cricket in the USA. If you play the long game, GWS can build up a Swans size supporter base and tap into a sizable market. Will take decades.

Mark Robinson’s recent AFL taking over RL comments were truly embarrassing. I wonder how much time has he spent living in Sydney.

Last edited:
To be fair, Sydney is rugby league heartland in NSW. Governments are going to spend taxpayer dollars to appease as many as possible. AFL is growing, and it should continue to grow, but rugby league will always dominate Sydney.
A little bit like T20 cricket in the USA. If you play the long game, GWS can build up a Swans size supporter base and tap into a sizable market. Will take decades.

I have never followed any sport as I was turned off from a young age and shunned it accordingly.

Footy has been the best thing I've ever experienced.

People are much more civil, too.

Mark Robinsons AFL taking over RL comments were truly embarrassing. I wonder how much time has he spent living in Sydney.
I was mortified to say the least.

Anatascia wasn't, but I'm sure nrl commissioners and former Queensland labor politicians Peter beattie and miles close friend Kate Jones influenced him, why do you think v'landy's has been praising the great work Kate Jones has been doing right around the time that miles dropped the no stadium bomb. They also managed to grab themselves an Suncorp upgrade and rolled out Wally Lewis to announce it in the meantime.

Then you have the anti afl John Coates and the fact miles thought he could win some cheap political points for 'saving money', when actually his absurd idea costs more and you have the situation we currently have.

I think the stadium will still be built in the end, I just cannot see a satisfactory alternative, but they definitely tied themselves in knots in an attempt to avoid building a new stadium that the afl could benefit from post Olympics.

Screenshot_20240929-121326_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back