AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not just that. That’s a simplistic view. I live in SEQ and I can assure you that AFL and the Lions (in particular) are certainly getting more coverage across all media platforms here. Have been for years. The media focus on the Lions has been steadily increasing for years, I think the Covid year really propelled it to a new level.

As a comparison for Vics playing along, the Lions imo get more coverage and certainly have a stronger foothold in this market than the Storm do in Melbourne. AFL is a genuine competitor and threat to the native game up here and a significant presence, NRL isn’t a genuine competitive threat to AFL in Melbourne. The Storm are there and they play to good crowds and have strong secondary focus but they aren’t the same widespread talking point around town as AFL is generally up here.

The Gold Coast region is stronger for AFL than Brisbane itself. However, there’s no denying the growth of AFL and the Lions up here. There’s a steady increase in AFL grounds around the joint and their presence is stretching further.

The AFL / Lions are significant enough in the sporting landscape here that the Lord Mayor of Brisbane on ABC Brisbane last week proclaimed the Lions were now too big an entity and with cricket demand a solution to support the games / clubs growth and expansion. He said Brisbane needed a larger oval stadium to support the games growth. Who’d have thought that would be a consideration a decade ago!
What are tv ratings from Brisbane for Lions and Broncos this year? Be interesting if someone knew.

Of course nrl never take over Melbourne same way afl will never take over Sydney.

Great Lions getting coverage as of late but it was perfect storm with Dolphins Broncos not in finals and Lions winning GF in dominant fashion. Last year when both Broncos and Lions were in GF Broncos were everywhere.

What are tv ratings from Brisbane for Lions and Broncos this year? Be interesting if someone knew.

Of course nrl never take over Melbourne same way afl will never take over Sydney.
I think the tv ratings are still average tbh. I’m more just talking about the level of focus and attention across the market. It has a stronger presence as time goes on.

Fair, not fair, who cares? Invest the money, reap the rewards. AFL are the richest sport in Australia. We could boast joint ownership of the Olympic stadium. Let’s house the Brisbane Lions and fans with the best stadium in QLD. Let’s overtake the NRL in QLD. No better opportunity then right now.
The AFL should not be investing in stadia period. Especially not one that hosts 11 games a year.

Lol this account always seems to pop up when their is some positive talk about the afl's progress up north.

You'll be upset to know the afl have been very happy with the growth in tv ratings in seq the past few years. In Brisbane the lions twilight prelim outrated the nrl final that same night, so the progress is pretty good.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back