AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah true it´s old and outdated.

But capacity also. 37k or whatever it is doesn't match their increasing popularity and membership numbers.
Maybe. It really only sells out a few games per year from what I recall.

Maybe. It really only sells out a few games per year from what I recall.

9 of their 12 games this year were sold out and similar last year. The gabba and scg are undersized with the swans and lions popularity these days. I think about 55k for lions, 60k capacity for swans would be about perfect.

9 of their 12 games this year were sold out and similar last year. The gabba and scg are undersized with the swans and lions popularity these days. I think about 55k for lions, 60k capacity for swans would be about perfect.
Not sure they do as well in other years.

Not sure they do as well in other years.

No different to marvel though, you don't have to sellout every game, but you need the capacity to allow for those few times a year that will reach high numbers. The swans were getting in the 50s and 60s at the Olympic stadium nearly 20 years ago and they are a lot more popular now.

Each club could sellout those stadiums a few times a year at those capacities imo.

What are tv ratings from Brisbane for Lions and Broncos this year? Be interesting if someone knew.

Of course nrl never take over Melbourne same way afl will never take over Sydney.
I agree neither will take over but AFL is more likely. AFL in Sydney is way bigger than NRL in Melbourne just as AFL in Melbourne is way bigger than NRL in Sydney.

What is this based on? Just your view or a particular data point?

The raw data across 5 years for both codes viewership numbers is fascinating.

The fact Melbourne viewership for the GF between 2020 and this year (both years when the Storm competed), grew from 297k to 529k is pretty huge for the growth of the sport in terms of interest in Victoria. The record crowd for the Prelim is also testament to that.

For the AFL, despite a really poor 2022 for Brisbane tv audiences (which I’m not sure what caused), the growth of the Brisbane audience from 2023 to this year (421k to 456k is also promising).
I live in SEQ and my view is based on what I’ve observed over the week in terms of TV news bulletins, mainstream radio etc.

In my humble opinion and from doing some work with the Giants up here in Sydney - “traction” at AFL house is defined by 3 high level metrics.

Those include growth in the following areas,

1) TV ratings
2) Crowd growth
3) $$$ spent at club level (not just memberships, but a blend of merch, events and other factors).

Yes, there are other secondary considerations including the growth of the sport at a junior level, but it’s very hard to judge on a year by year basis and more of a 5 year blend.

To go back to the premise of this thread, is there any data to suggest using points 1 and 2 above (3 hard for us to know) - that AFL is growing faster than the NRL in QLD?

In my humble opinion and from doing some work with the Giants up here in Sydney - “traction” at AFL house is defined by 3 high level metrics.

Those include growth in the following areas,

1) TV ratings
2) Crowd growth
3) $$$ spent at club level (not just memberships, but a blend of merch, events and other factors).

Yes, there are other secondary considerations including the growth of the sport at a junior level, but it’s very hard to judge on a year by year basis and more of a 5 year blend.

To go back to the premise of this thread, is there any data to suggest using points 1 and 2 above (3 hard for us to know) - that AFL is growing faster than the NRL in QLD?

You seem upset by the thought of the games growth in Queensland mate. Why is that? Tv is up, crowds are up and merchandise and memberships are up this year, for both QLD clubs.

It's hard to know if it's faster than the nrl with their bullshit claims on being the biggest tv sport in the country and the likes, how can you trust their figures when their chairman says they get 1 million viewers in Sydney compared to the afl's 23k.

You seem upset by the thought of the games growth in Queensland mate. Why is that? Tv is up, crowds are up and merchandise and memberships are up this year, for both QLD clubs.

It's hard to know if it's faster than the nrl with their bullshit claims on being the biggest tv sport in the country and the likes, how can you trust their figures when their chairman says they get 1 million viewers in Sydney compared to the afl's 23k.

What part of my comment made you think I’m upset? Stop projecting. I’m purely asking for data driven facts.

It's worth pointing out that 4 of 9 home (GC) games for the Suns this year also sold out and the QClash at the Gabba pulled a record 30k crowd while the Lions had a 2-5 record and the Suns were sitting equal 8th on the ladder. It's fair to say both Queensland teams did well in their respective markets this year.

It's worth pointing out that 4 of 9 home (GC) games for the Suns this year also sold out and the QClash at the Gabba pulled a record 30k crowd while the Lions had a 2-5 record and the Suns were sitting equal 8th on the ladder. It's fair to say both Queensland teams did well in their respective markets this year.

There you go Philhawk , that can help with your data collection.

Storm 25 years in the competition, 10 grand finals and yet only sold out 2 games this year despite sitting on top of the ladder, one being a preliminary final on a public holiday in Melbourne, with zero competition from any other sport in the city, on afl gf eve. They did make the grand final, but as usual with zero Victorians in their team and I think only one Victorian player in their history.

The suns, never played in a final, didn't make finals this year, only been in the competition 14 years and have about 7 gold coast locals in their team currently, also had 4 sellouts this year, in a shorter afl season of 23 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back