AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

it's a bit like the bumsniffer one used by people to slur people who follow Rugby league.

Not quite, it's the rugby codes in general and more light-hearted.
The other expression has died out quickly with political correctness and I'd thought a mod wouldn't mention it at all.
The only expression that annoys me is when people say "football" in mixed company or in the media.
It doesn't take much effort to put an adjective before the word or even simpler to mention the specific league
as in AFL,NRL, EPL or whatever RU is called these days.

I always thought bum sniffers was used for rugby union anyway due to the way it's played where they bury their head into the pack, you don't hear it much these days anyway due to rugby being mostly invisible.

It's a fair stretch to compare the animosity from leagiues towards AFL and the conga line of insults, to what goes back in the other direction, even the diehard leagiues posting in this thread could admit that.

I always thought bum sniffers was used for rugby union anyway due to the way it's played where they bury their head into the pack, you don't hear it much these days anyway due to rugby being mostly invisible.

Nope. League people have always been that term for the most part.
It's a fair stretch to compare the animosity from leagiues towards AFL and the conga line of insults, to what goes back in the other direction, even the diehard leagiues posting in this thread could admit that.
I’m not denying the animosity. I think it’s pretty stupid personally. If someone born into the game can become passionate about Australian football, then so can others.

As I did say though, it’s going to be a generational change which will take time.

IMO it depends where you are. WhenI came to Sydney in the 70s it was heard w.r.t. "code wars".
Outside of the rugby states it was definitely used w.r.t. scrums and it probably used with indifference
and light-heartedly.

Yes, you only have to look at the difference between B.F. and L.U.

IMO it depends where you are. WhenI came to Sydney in the 70s it was heard w.r.t. "code wars".
Outside of the rugby states it was definitely used w.r.t. scrums and it probably used with indifference
and light-heartedly.

Yes, you only have to look at the difference between B.F. and L.U.

I take a peak at the League Unlimited forum from time to time and they're unhinged in their resentment of rugby union and AFL.

I take a peak at the League Unlimited forum from time to time and they're unhinged in their resentment of rugby union and AFL.

There can be pretty good reasons for that. Rugby Union while I’m sure like any demographic has its fair share of great people, can be a haven for a fairly outdated model of classicism.

At uni some of the friends I lived with talked me into joining the union club and I played and we won the premiership but as someone without the right schooling there is no way that club could have made me feel like more of an outsider. The pecking order of the entire club was based around who knew who, and how far you made it through which particular school and their rugby system. Ability didn’t matter nearly as much. And if you didn’t tow the ‘hazing’ line you were made an outsider. Even last year I played (as in sang and played guitar) at a reunion ball to celebrate the 20 years since and all the players the club has had in the interim. My name as a grand final winner was literally on a framed jersey on the stage along with maybe 5 other jerseys of teams that had won a premiership for the club in that period. 1 solitary person from my time at the club came and spoke to me.

A year after that single season I joined the uni league club - they did not give a shit who I was or where I was from. It was just ‘you want to play? Sure, we will chuck you in somewhere. Train when you can, this is the coach, these are the captains, these are the grades, take it as serious or non serious as you want.’

Our side didn’t win a game the first season I played and it was the most enjoyable sporting experience I’ve had and to this day I’m mates with 15-20 of the blokes I played with.

League fans can be extremely dumb there’s no denying that, but the exclusivity that many of them have felt from Union has a lot to do with how they feel about it. Class gaps don’t just disappear no matter where they are; you won’t go to an AC/DC concert and expect to find people discussing how much they love Coldplay or Ed Sheeran

I wasn’t talking to you. Don’t derail my conversation.

See, you’re not the only one who can make out like he owns the forum.

This stuff is coming from my own personal experience and other people I know, so yeah, in some cases the resentment league fans have towards rugby union does have a reason.

typing ‘no’ won’t change that.

There can be pretty good reasons for that. Rugby Union while I’m sure like any demographic has its fair share of great people, can be a haven for a fairly outdated model of classicism.

At uni some of the friends I lived with talked me into joining the union club and I played and we won the premiership but as someone without the right schooling there is no way that club could have made me feel like more of an outsider. The pecking order of the entire club was based around who knew who, and how far you made it through which particular school and their rugby system. Ability didn’t matter nearly as much. And if you didn’t tow the ‘hazing’ line you were made an outsider. Even last year I played (as in sang and played guitar) at a reunion ball to celebrate the 20 years since and all the players the club has had in the interim. My name as a grand final winner was literally on a framed jersey on the stage along with maybe 5 other jerseys of teams that had won a premiership for the club in that period. 1 solitary person from my time at the club came and spoke to me.

A year after that single season I joined the uni league club - they did not give a shit who I was or where I was from. It was just ‘you want to play? Sure, we will chuck you in somewhere. Train when you can, this is the coach, these are the captains, these are the grades, take it as serious or non serious as you want.’

Our side didn’t win a game the first season I played and it was the most enjoyable sporting experience I’ve had and to this day I’m mates with 15-20 of the blokes I played with.

League fans can be extremely dumb there’s no denying that, but the exclusivity that many of them have felt from Union has a lot to do with how they feel about it. Class gaps don’t just disappear no matter where they are; you won’t go to an AC/DC concert and expect to find people discussing how much they love Coldplay or Ed Sheeran

With all the stories about how great the sport of rugby league is and how great all their knockabout fans are in this thread, Peter might wanna hire you as a promoter 😅.

It's not unusual to be welcomed into a sporting club, this is the case for every club in every sport, despite perhaps rugby union. However, my mates son plays rugby union in Sydney and reckons the people are all nice and welcoming.

Anyhow the interesting question is, did you share with these 15 great leaguie lads that you're supposedly a big afl fan, or wimped out? Also do you frequent league unlimited talking up how great aussie rules is in there, like you do for rugby league in here, or wimped it?

With all the stories about how great the sport of rugby league is and how great all their knockabout fans are in this thread, Peter might wanna hire you as a promoter 😅.

It's not unusual to be welcomed into a sporting club, this is the case for every club in every sport, despite perhaps rugby union. However, my mates son plays rugby union in Sydney and reckons the people are all nice and welcoming.

Anyhow the interesting question is, did you share with these 15 great leaguie lads that you're supposedly a big afl fan, or wimped out? Also do you frequent league unlimited talking up how great aussie rules is in there, like you do for rugby league in here, or wimped it?
What, all 1 of them?

Oh yeah I’ve really gone to town.

Yeah no I was terrified. I was really worried I’d get dragged up the top of the nearest mountain and *******ed with a concrete dildo - no lube of course - and then set on fire. Because that’s what all rugby league players and fans alike do. They physically punish and torture people who like AFL.

(The funny thing is, the UNION club I’m talking about? That’s literally the kind of thing they would ALMOST border on doing: in your first year, you were given a ‘master’ who ordered you to do whatever they wanted and you simply had to do it or, again, you were ostracised from the club. One guy was forced to drink a concoction of cigarette ash, goon, piss, and beer out of his master’s ballsack in a manoeuvre known as the ‘birdbath’. But yeah, no biggie)

every time I share a Facebook post from the Cats I get a package in the mail to this day from my former club mates and have to call the bomb squad for a week afterwards just in case.

just like you guys have said with your equally effective PR campaigns which should get YOU hired in place of Laura Kane. Do you literally not understand how dumb you sound saying that stuff like you’ve written above?

PR? Are you serious?

I’ve literally just given a brief personal account of why some sections of the league fraternity don’t like the rugby union fraternity: there is a perceived, and in some cases, experienced, class gap. You have sat here pouring out how terrible it is that afl gets called GayFL. And that’s fine. It’s lame and immature and frankly stupid and for a kid it’s the last thing they need to hear when they’re trying to find their identity as a person and when they’re looking for a sport. But you’ve then been issued with someone telling an actual person experience about why THEY and others don’t like the class gap issues with another code altogether due to how it treats certain people and you get the shits because someone dared tell you about it?

You dont have to like it mate.

Im not even a member of League Unlimited, why the hell would I post about AFL in there? The closest I came to it was a forum called The Colosseum was was largely based on rugby league, with an AFL subforum that I and an handful of others posted in and while it was difficult (are you smart enough to read sarcasm or not?) having the bravery (seriously? What are we, in kindergarten??) to do so, I was able to admit to following afl and there is at least one member of this forum from that one, who will ‘testify’ on my behalf seeing as we are apparently all on trial here.

Tell me, do you get awards for doing this? Proving how brave you are 😂😂😂

I never thought I would see Richmond like levels of conspiratoriality (is that a word?) anywhere else in this forum but here we are.

Main board surpassed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only forum I’ve found to date that seemed to have both sports, plus cricket, discussed in equal measure, was on the old Sportal website.

Again, I’m sure I’ll have to do some Stonecutter-esque ritual to prove this and that I’m not secretly working to bring down the afl from within this very website. Because that’s how I’d do it.

I’d make 40,000 posts on BigFooty, talking almost exclusively either about Geelong, AFL in general, or cricket. That would be my method of choice.

What, all 1 of them?

Oh yeah I’ve really gone to town.

Yeah no I was terrified. I was really worried I’d get dragged up the top of the nearest mountain and *******ed with a concrete dildo - no lube of course - and then set on fire. Because that’s what all rugby league players and fans alike do. They physically punish and torture people who like AFL.

(The funny thing is, the UNION club I’m talking about? That’s literally the kind of thing they would ALMOST border on doing: in your first year, you were given a ‘master’ who ordered you to do whatever they wanted and you simply had to do it or, again, you were ostracised from the club. One guy was forced to drink a concoction of cigarette ash, goon, piss, and beer out of his master’s ballsack in a manoeuvre known as the ‘birdbath’. But yeah, no biggie)

every time I share a Facebook post from the Cats I get a package in the mail to this day from my former club mates and have to call the bomb squad for a week afterwards just in case.

just like you guys have said with your equally effective PR campaigns which should get YOU hired in place of Laura Kane. Do you literally not understand how dumb you sound saying that stuff like you’ve written above?

PR? Are you serious?

I’ve literally just given a brief personal account of why some sections of the league fraternity don’t like the rugby union fraternity: there is a perceived, and in some cases, experienced, class gap. You have sat here pouring out how terrible it is that afl gets called GayFL. And that’s fine. It’s lame and immature and frankly stupid and for a kid it’s the last thing they need to hear when they’re trying to find their identity as a person and when they’re looking for a sport. But you’ve then been issued with someone telling an actual person experience about why THEY and others don’t like the class gap issues with another code altogether due to how it treats certain people and you get the shits because someone dared tell you about it?

You dont have to like it mate.

Im not even a member of League Unlimited, why the hell would I post about AFL in there? The closest I came to it was a forum called The Colosseum was was largely based on rugby league, with an AFL subforum that I and an handful of others posted in and while it was difficult (are you smart enough to read sarcasm or not?) having the bravery (seriously? What are we, in kindergarten??) to do so, I was able to admit to following afl and there is at least one member of this forum from that one, who will ‘testify’ on my behalf seeing as we are apparently all on trial here.

Tell me, do you get awards for doing this? Proving how brave you are 😂😂😂

I never thought I would see Richmond like levels of conspiratoriality (is that a word?) anywhere else in this forum but here we are.

Main board surpassed.

Lol one of the most unhinged posts I've ever read, congratulations, it doesn't even make sense. I noticed you avoided the question.

One post hey? What about the history lessons on the storm and all that other crap. Nobody cares mate, take it to league unlimited. This thread is for talking about afl growth in Queensland, something you never seem to touch on when giving us a history lesson of the rugby league every day. In fact, I don't think you could care less about footy's growth in Queensland, you just saw the thread title had nrl in it and got a hard on.

The fact you don't post on league unlimited just proves my point. You should have been reigned in for derailing this thread weeks ago, it's annoying.

Lol one of the most unhinged posts I've ever read, congratulations, it doesn't even make sense. I noticed you avoided the question.

One post hey? What about the history lessons on the storm and all that other crap. Nobody cares mate, take it to league unlimited. This thread is for talking about afl growth in Queensland, something you never seem to touch on when giving us a history lesson of the rugby league every day. In fact, I don't think you could care less about footy's growth in Queensland, you just saw the thread title had nrl in it and got a hard on.

The fact you don't post on league unlimited just proves my point. You should have been reigned in for derailing this thread weeks ago, it's annoying.

The history lesson on the storm? How was that PR?

I literally just told someone a pretty straight out summarised reason why they’re fairly disliked. If you don’t like it, stiff shit. That’s not PR, it’s just the truth. You cheat, or there’s a perception that you’ve cheated, people don’t like it. You literally have Essendon colours in your username. That’s a primary reason people over the past decade have disliked the bombers. Anyone with a brain would see that highlighting a scandal that left the NRL without a premier in two of its seasons was probably NOT a PR post.
But here we are, hey?

Are you seriously suggesting I have to have a league unlimited account to be an AFL fan? Tug it harder mate, just have the fire brigade on standby.

If it annoys you, use the ignore button.

Again, I responded to someone who made a point about the dislike league fans have for AFL and Union. I don’t get the general disdain league fans have for AFL; if I did, I wouldn’t be an AFL fan, would I.

I do however fully see why a lot of league fans detest certain aspects of rugby Union culture so I commented on it.

What does league unlimited and its posters’ views on Union have to do with the thread topic? Probably very little I’d imagine. But it’s there, and I’m allowed to respond to it.

You want to talk unhinged?

You and your buddy reacting the way you do to the idea that someone can follow both codes, and actually pillorying them for NOT posting in League Unlimited would have to be up there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back