AFL Queensland - 2010 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read Harding's statement. Very unusual move to provide a formal press release bagging the club he's left. Can't say I've seen it before?? It's not an indication that he was a little stubborn and hard to get on with is it? Would love to have an honest summary of the situation from the players. Perhaps one of the 35 who apparently gave him overwhelming support. Does that mean a residual player list of 12 come season's end!?!?!

Anyone know much about the new guy taking over? Is he on for rest of year or will he manage to get the next season similar to when Martin took over after the last coach they sacked mid year for not having support of the board?

Do the people who appoint the coach after a lengthy interview process get any of the blame, or do the same people get to pick the next coach and screw it up again? Surely a club with the financial backing and junior base should not continue to be held back by poor administration. They only have the entire north side of Brisbane to get a side together. Ridiculous.

Anyone know much about the new guy taking over? Is he on for rest of year or will he manage to get the next season similar to when Martin took over after the last coach they sacked mid year for not having support of the board?

Do the people who appoint the coach after a lengthy interview process get any of the blame, or do the same people get to pick the next coach and screw it up again? Surely a club with the financial backing and junior base should not continue to be held back by poor administration. They only have the entire north side of Brisbane to get a side together.

Ridiculous

Amen!!!

What is going on at Aspley? They get all these guns from down south, win 2 games so far, and now the coach has resigned. Quit today apparently or was he pushed? Sounds like trouble in paradise.;);)

Hi guys, As you may be aware i have taken a keen following on the Aspley Hornets this year as they have recruited players from Nort East Vic. Can somone please fill me in on the Aspley Story (thoughts please as i can only go off what i am reading and can't make sense of the various quotes). Why is this a recurring issue at this club? (i believe this is its third coahc in two years).Do people realise that things just don't happen overnight? It takes time to build a side and a club. Very Disapointing for the club that seems to have everything except one thing it seems DIRECTON from the top just looking in. Thoughts please.

This is just another sad story for the Aspley footy club, has anyone on the committee who represent the membership worked out that to be a successful club you need to have the right structures in place, Russ Harding is a proven professional person with a professional outlook, something I feel that has been wasted on this club. His personal outlook for this footy club at the start of the year was one of change, to bring the club up from being a junior club to the big game where big decisions were needed to be made, the non respect shown to Russ from his lack of respect players, fellow coaching staff and the football department, who should have know better was a disgrace to witness, this was due to a group of cashed up lunatics who brought the southern players up as saviours to a club with no real proven culture with the promise of only $$$$$$ not caring about changing the culture required to play in the best AFL competiton in Qld and which is quickly growing in stature catching up with the other states every year. Russ Harding will always be a professional person and I'm sure the Aspley Footy Club with their current administration wont even get close to to that professionalism or more to that matter what he wanted to achieve in his time at the club, its time to fall on your swords boys and let the north side of Brisbane have a leadership group and a State League side they deserve or give up you license and let the Seahawks have a go.

Interesting to see that everyone wants the Seahawks to have a go.

Would like to know how that would be better. Specifics and facts guys, not coloured opinions please.

This is just another sad story for the Aspley footy club, has anyone on the committee who represent the membership worked out that to be a successful club you need to have the right structures in place, Russ Harding is a proven professional person with a professional outlook, something I feel that has been wasted on this club. His personal outlook for this footy club at the start of the year was one of change, to bring the club up from being a junior club to the big game where big decisions were needed to be made, the non respect shown to Russ from his lack of respect players, fellow coaching staff and the football department, who should have know better was a disgrace to witness, this was due to a group of cashed up lunatics who brought the southern players up as saviours to a club with no real proven culture with the promise of only $$$$$$ not caring about changing the culture required to play in the best AFL competiton in Qld and which is quickly growing in stature catching up with the other states every year. Russ Harding will always be a professional person and I'm sure the Aspley Footy Club with their current administration wont even get close to to that professionalism or more to that matter what he wanted to achieve in his time at the club, its time to fall on your swords boys and let the north side of Brisbane have a leadership group and a State League side they deserve or give up you license and let the Seahawks have a go.

There seems to be alot of questions and assumptions about the whole Aspley thing. So why don't the people with the questions go down on Sunday and ask the Directors. They will be there and if you don't know who they are then go to the front entrance and there photo's are on the board.

Russell Evans is a quality person and I think will make a good fist of coaching at Senior level. He has coached Aspley Under 18's and has been around the club for several years when his sons started playing after moving up from S.A. I have met several players from down south (not all of them) and they are fine young men. Some of the problem with Aspley I think is letting several of their young players leave,players whom have been at the Hornets since Auskick days and were let go, yet others with limited Senior potential have been retained due to family ties with the club (this is not restricted to Aspley I know). Proof that these promising players let go is Sandgate's top position in both grades of the Pineapple Cup (taking nothing away from Sandgate, whom I think are doing a fantastic job).
As other people have stated the football Directors and co should now fall on their swords and let others (not me!) have a go as the footy commitee or directors are the common thread to the failures of the club over the past few years. They know who they are.

Russell Evans is a quality person and I think will make a good fist of coaching at Senior level. He has coached Aspley Under 18's and has been around the club for several years when his sons started playing after moving up from S.A. I have met several players from down south (not all of them) and they are fine young men. Some of the problem with Aspley I think is letting several of their young players leave,players whom have been at the Hornets since Auskick days and were let go, yet others with limited Senior potential have been retained due to family ties with the club (this is not restricted to Aspley I know). Proof that these promising players let go is Sandgate's top position in both grades of the Pineapple Cup (taking nothing away from Sandgate, whom I think are doing a fantastic job).
As other people have stated the football Directors and co should now fall on their swords and let others (not me!) have a go as the footy commitee or directors are the common thread to the failures of the club over the past few years. They know who they are.

Truth be known I think a lot of the quality kids that have gone to Sandgate and other state leauge clubs were originally from the sunshine coast Caboolture, Sandgate, Kedron etc but played for the Eagles when they met their end due to the eagerness of un-named others, I think the name Murray Davis will haunt the walls of the Aspley Football Club committee room for many years to come, as is always hindsight is a funny thing, had the appointment of the senior coaching position been made to Murry Davis in Aspley's first year, this would have bonded the ex - Eagle playing group together (just look who has defected since the Eagle days I think you could name a competitive side with the players playing at other clubs without a doubt) at this club which would have been a base for the Aspley Football Club to be a very competitive team in the QFLQ State Leauge today, poor choices mean no riches.

Truth be known I think a lot of the quality kids that have gone to Sandgate and other state leauge clubs were originally from the sunshine coast Caboolture, Sandgate, Kedron etc but played for the Eagles when they met their end due to the eagerness of un-named others, I think the name Murray Davis will haunt the walls of the Aspley Football Club committee room for many years to come, as is always hindsight is a funny thing, had the appointment of the senior coaching position been made to Murry Davis in Aspley's first year, this would have bonded the ex - Eagle playing group together (just look who has defected since the Eagle days I think you could name a competitive side with the players playing at other clubs without a doubt) at this club which would have been a base for the Aspley Football Club to be a very competitive team in the QFLQ State Leauge today, poor choices mean no riches.

Snork, you well and truely have your 'head above water' there. I think the Aspley Executive must have been concerned that a Muzza lead coaching group might just have been a little too smart (read powerful) for them to control and therefore was never a chance in hell of being appointed.

Since Roadkill's rather sensible suggestion, we have 444, Snork and the Odd one continue to speculate. Cliche time - "Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?" OR "It's in writing - therefore it must be so".

I note that Mr Copeland - a no nonsense sort of chap - is a constant here. Perhaps we should turn up on Sunday and ask questions of those in the know - Bushie included. Or is there comfort behind anonymity?

I ask again, what are the facts? There doesn't seem to be anybody with knowledge of these.

On your wild speculation Oddball, think about your club. If they were in Aspley's position, would they just roll over and be Eagles mark II or would they try to retain their identity and put their individual mark on the league? I can only empathise with the South Melbournes and Fitzroys of the footy world BUT they had to be change for a reason - they weren't viable. I don't see Fitzroy based in Brisbane just as I don't see Eagles based at Aspley - and Fitzroy was a "merger" - not the loss of a licence by one club and the promotion of another completely different club.

Thank God the GC boys are not a club relocated and don't have to put up with this tripe.

Interesting to see that everyone wants the Seahawks to have a go.

Would like to know how that would be better. Specifics and facts guys, not coloured opinions please.

sandgate couldnt beat the magpies in phc, magpies cant win a game in state league. cant see how sandgate would be competitive:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sandgate couldnt beat the magpies in phc, magpies cat win a game in state league. cant see how sandgate would be competitive:rolleyes:

When the magpies finished PHC Sandgate didnt make finals. Hard to compare with whats happening now two years later. The side Sandgate have now wouldnt stand up in State League (although how much the Magpies would beat them by is debatable) I think though with the amount of Sandgate juniors who are currently active in the State League that would be very tempted to return to their junior club, they have a culture and QAFL history that would tempt a lot of players who are railroaded into going to the only other north side State League option. It wont happen but if Sandgate and Aspley were both in the QAFL next season, it would be interesting to see where the north side home grown talent were drawn to. And also which club in three years had built itself up by using and developing its own players and culture. Would make a mighty local derby any way!

When the magpies finished PHC Sandgate didnt make finals. Hard to compare with whats happening now two years later. The side Sandgate have now wouldnt stand up in State League (although how much the Magpies would beat them by is debatable) I think though with the amount of Sandgate juniors who are currently active in the State League that would be very tempted to return to their junior club, they have a culture and QAFL history that would tempt a lot of players who are railroaded into going to the only other north side State League option. It wont happen but if Sandgate and Aspley were both in the QAFL next season, it would be interesting to see where the north side home grown talent were drawn to. And also which club in three years had built itself up by using and developing its own players and culture. Would make a mighty local derby any way!

it would make a good derby.. sandgate v aspley phc games were always good games to watch
with the restructure of the qafl over the next two years, you may get your derby

well they won't be going in next year. because it's safe to say there will be the gold coast team and a sunshine coast team going in instead.

Since Roadkill's rather sensible suggestion, we have 444, Snork and the Odd one continue to speculate. Cliche time - "Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?" OR "It's in writing - therefore it must be so".

I note that Mr Copeland - a no nonsense sort of chap - is a constant here. Perhaps we should turn up on Sunday and ask questions of those in the know - Bushie included. Or is there comfort behind anonymity?

I ask again, what are the facts? There doesn't seem to be anybody with knowledge of these.

On your wild speculation Oddball, think about your club. If they were in Aspley's position, would they just roll over and be Eagles mark II or would they try to retain their identity and put their individual mark on the league? I can only empathise with the South Melbournes and Fitzroys of the footy world BUT they had to be change for a reason - they weren't viable. I don't see Fitzroy based in Brisbane just as I don't see Eagles based at Aspley - and Fitzroy was a "merger" - not the loss of a licence by one club and the promotion of another completely different club.

Thank God the GC boys are not a club relocated and don't have to put up with this tripe.

You dont have to put up with this crap,but which coast team will win flag or consistentally play finals apart from southport

Get serious, Aspley had the licence, they had the ground, they had the money and they had the jumper. What they didn't have was a group of players that were up to QAFL standard or a culture that was going to see the existing group step up. What they needed was a quality coach that would ensure the best of Eagles players made the transition. The Hornets wouldn't have lost their club identity because the group would have played for the Hornets. Regardless of your assertions they'd be better off than where they are now, with two 'lost' coaches in less than two years and three lost coaches in less than 3 seasons. Their failure to attract the likes of Lucy, Payne, Myles, Pratt, Lucas and Dawson and on top of that they have since lost Tapp (Shaun), Argus, Cadzow, Schultz and Hill - all of which are capable of playing at State League level.

Instead of telling me about 'wild speculation' have a serious look at how badly Aspley have missed out on an opportunity to be a strong on-field competitor and go ask those that allowed these things to happen why.

What Aspley is now is a club that are known very broadly as a 'dodgy' place to either coach or play, all that means is they will have to spend higher and higher amounts to attract the players they need to be competitive - great management.

Get serious, Aspley had the licence, they had the ground, they had the money and they had the jumper. What they didn't have was a group of players that were up to QAFL standard or a culture that was going to see the existing group step up. What they needed was a quality coach that would ensure the best of Eagles players made the transition. The Hornets wouldn't have lost their club identity because the group would have played for the Hornets. Regardless of your assertions they'd be better off than where they are now, with two 'lost' coaches in less than two years and three lost coaches in less than 3 seasons. Their failure to attract the likes of Lucy, Payne, Myles, Pratt, Lucas and Dawson and on top of that they have since lost Tapp (Shaun), Argus, Cadzow, Schultz and Hill - all of which are capable of playing at State League level.

Instead of telling me about 'wild speculation' have a serious look at how badly Aspley have missed out on an opportunity to be a strong on-field competitor and go ask those that allowed these things to happen why.

What Aspley is now is a club that are known very broadly as a 'dodgy' place to either coach or play, all that means is they will have to spend higher and higher amounts to attract the players they need to be competitive - great management.
:thumbsu:
Also have lost Williams,Forbes,Walker,Weightman,John James on there list last year,Susuve.3 of them names in state squads this year and susuve played vfl

Dogmatic6

You may very well have brought up a very good point in relation to Bushie Copeland he does seems like a no nonsense sort of a chap, he just isin't playing footy that well at the moment (hang on a minute didn't he come originally from Strathpine Via the Northern Devils and from yes you guessed it the Northern Eagles).

If Bushy is the linch pin or the leader as you are eluding to for the current problems at the club then its a pretty poor excuse as one player alone dosen't control the culture or lack of it, no matter what Aspley do they just cant get away from the ghosts of the past, as stated above even their current assistant coach is an ex Ealge boy, in fact most of the players who have played in the AFL/VFL competition that have originated from Aspley have all been ex Eagle Boys, you just have to look at their photo's on their bar room wall to see that fact.

In relation to the Aspley Footy Club rolling over and being the Eagles mark 11 that was never the expected, it was never a case of stolen identity by Aspley of the players from the Eagles, the Eagle's supporters were just happy that their players got to keep playing State League Footy (after a long and hard fought battle to keep their club), but just gut renching for most never again in an Eagles Jumper.

It was at that time just assumed by the administration at Aspley that the whole playing list at the Eagles would transfer over to Aspley without the coach who had led them from a travisty (the sacking of the best coach in my opinion ever to coach the club) to a tight loyal group of players and one who had their backs at all times, for mere peanuts because they (Aspley) were the only option at that time, how wrong did they get that one.

It was only when the better players found new clubs that the purse strings opened and by that time it was to late for Aspley and the flood gates opened and their fate was sealed, enter the Ovens and Murray League boys and a mix of players from some more ports south and there is still no apparent improvement at Bumble Bee Land to date and this is not mere speculation this is fact F.A.C.T. Good Luck Russell Evans but be wary of the ghosts of old.

As for the GC-17, they are building their culture from the ground up, I believe that the Board and the Chairman of this fledgling club know the limitations of their current playing group and they therefore have adopted a patient and cautious attitude in expecting succsess especially overnight, nothing like the club aforementioned above.

Footnote - Long term succsess must be crafted and worked hard at, it can't be brought and it is not a right of passage because you believe you are the best, the only true judge of that succsess is made by your peers and not you riches, its simply called respect.

Dogmatic6

You may very well have brought up a very good point in relation to Bushie Copeland he does seems like a no nonsense sort of a chap, he just isin't playing footy that well at the moment (hang on a minute didn't he come originally from Strathpine Via the Northern Devils and from yes you guessed it the Northern Eagles).

If Bushy is the linch pin or the leader as you are eluding to for the current problems at the club then its a pretty poor excuse as one player alone dosen't control the culture or lack of it, no matter what Aspley do they just cant get away from the ghosts of the past, as stated above even their current assistant coach is an ex Ealge boy, in fact most of the players who have played in the AFL/VFL competition that have originated from Aspley have all been ex Eagle Boys, you just have to look at their photo's on their bar room wall to see that fact.

In relation to the Aspley Footy Club rolling over and being the Eagles mark 11 that was never the expected, it was never a case of stolen identity by Aspley of the players from the Eagles, the Eagle's supporters were just happy that their players got to keep playing State League Footy (after a long and hard fought battle to keep their club), but just gut renching for most never again in an Eagles Jumper.

It was at that time just assumed by the administration at Aspley that the whole playing list at the Eagles would transfer over to Aspley without the coach who had led them from a travisty (the sacking of the best coach in my opinion ever to coach the club) to a tight loyal group of players and one who had their backs at all times, for mere peanuts because they (Aspley) were the only option at that time, how wrong did they get that one.

It was only when the better players found new clubs that the purse strings opened and by that time it was to late for Aspley and the flood gates opened and their fate was sealed, enter the Ovens and Murray League boys and a mix of players from some more ports south and there is still no apparent improvement at Bumble Bee Land to date and this is not mere speculation this is fact F.A.C.T. Good Luck Russell Evans but be wary of the ghosts of old.

As for the GC-17, they are building their culture from the ground up, I believe that the Board and the Chairman of this fledgling club know the limitations of their current playing group and they therefore have adopted a patient and cautious attitude in expecting succsess especially overnight, nothing like the club aforementioned above.

Footnote - Long term succsess must be crafted and worked hard at, it can't be brought and it is not a right of passage because you believe you are the best, the only true judge of that succsess is made by your peers and not you riches, its simply called respect.

I am starting to understand about the Aspley story now. I love the last footnote. This is abosultely true. Why does ASPLEY do this to them selves. Dont they understand that success takes time. Ask thier recruits what they think. I know one in particular and he new it was going to be a process of 2 - 3 years to get a competive outfit. But 8 weeks in NO coach... I would love to know his thoughts now and of the others that have come...... For blokes to relocate and get caught up in this #### you must feel for them or ask what were they told about the club in the first place. It seems to me that a new committee needs to be in order.

Dogmatic6

I wish I could have summed it up so well - it's good night from me on this subject (I know you're all disappointed :D )

Dogmatic6

All good conversation guys and many valid points. I'm neither defending nor denying. Just looking for the facts. Happy to see that I've invoked such passionate discussion.

I also agree that long term success must be worked hard at and does not happen overnight. Could not agree more. In footy terms, 18 months is overnight. Why then has everyone decided to kick the crap out of the club because they haven't got it right overnight? They just seem to be a popular punching bag.

Enough from me also. I'll sign off with several questions still unanswered by fact. There's plenty of F.A.C.T. about what's happened. But still only speculation and opinion as to why.

All good conversation guys and many valid points. I'm neither defending nor denying. Just looking for the facts. Happy to see that I've invoked such passionate discussion.

I also agree that long term success must be worked hard at and does not happen overnight. Could not agree more. In footy terms, 18 months is overnight. Why then has everyone decided to kick the crap out of the club because they haven't got it right overnight? They just seem to be a popular punching bag.

Enough from me also. I'll sign off with several questions still unanswered by fact. There's plenty of F.A.C.T. about what's happened. But still only speculation and opinion as to why.

Dogmatic6, This too will be my last post on this matter and this is opinion mixed with a little bit of factual experience

The only one in my opinion kicking the crap out of Aspley are those who have been given the charter to run the club, as I stated in my footnote succsess is not a right of passage just because you believe you are the best, this is the one thing that current and the past succsessful leaders (Executives) of the club can't get there heads around, it does not matter how many junior flags you win through out your time your succsess is measured on respect and in the past this club's arrogance to all others is know comming back to bite them big time, they and they alone, can fix the problem THEY HAVE CREATED not by making a scapegoat of the person (THE COACH) they appointed to have a crack and then removed that support within 6 months, but to looking deeply at the person or persons who have created and nurtured the current culture of that arrogance that the club has played under for many years, to gain respect you must first be respectfull this will lead to a long time succsess, which I am sure that all northside football suporters (even ex Eagle supporters) want and desirve, to add to this they the Aspley Football Club are at present only the leasee's of the north side game not the owners of it. It is time for those in power at the club who can make the changes needed, to be honest within themselves if they truly want change which will in time bring that required succsess, if not they are doomed but above all else Qld State Leauge AFL footy will live on, on the North side of Brisbane.

Can anyone shed some light on why the following players didnt come across.
Pratt, Lucy,Payne,myles.

i believe the link in the eagles chain was A Pratt, and for whatever reason he decided to go to the vultures, would like to know his reason for not coming to Aspley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back