Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same thing with Joel Corey really. I mean obviously greater minds than mine have been engaged on this issue with the clearances, but I'm not seeing how the solution is to play Joel Corey and Taylor Hunt in the backline. Clearances are Smithy's forte and stopping another bloke getting clearances is Poodle's forte. Admittedly, we may not have much of a choice in Poodle's case, given the present situation, but no matter what, but Joel Corey needs to be in the middle, as far as I'm concerned. Put Bartel in the backline if you have to.

That's what has all of us flummoxed. Taylor Hunt in the backline I can understand until Guthrie or Josh Hunt come back, but I can't see any sane reason to have Corey there. Except the obvious - he can't run out a full game in the middle, so by conserving him there for a half he can go full bore later in the game. Very risky strategy, in its only outing so far it proved successful. Whether it will work all year remains to be seen.

It could also be they don't want all the veteran onballers operating together while the opposition are fresh, and are more willing to take that chance the later the game goes.

I thought we were 2-0.

Home and away is where it's at for me,I don't get sucked in by the Mick Mouse stuff and either has the MC.
The 22 picked this week plus Kelly,J.Hunt,Menzel,McIntosh,Rivers,Guthrie,Vardy and Kersten.

Yep we are. Which is great. And apparently means everything is perfect and there is no room for improvement.

You don't get sucked in by Mick Mouse stuff? Ok, tell me at what level has Kersten set the world on fire? Or Vardy? Because at home and away - where it's at - Kersten has contributed jack shit.

Besides which you've missed the point. Is Horlin-Smith the ideal choice for a sub or not? I'd say not, which means making him that is the wrong call.

I have never given you that " line of shit". It doesnt exist in todays football Partridge, and frankly hasn't for a few years. Its all based around sports science and assessments. Developing players through experience is the new model.

Its not old school any more.

Time to get with it. :thumbsu:

If you didn't, there are plenty of others on here who have repeatedly.

Realistically, the kid is only 20 & is being groomed for a Corey/Kelly replacement.
If Corey wasnt in the vein of form he is now, Hyphen would be playing.
He is the future & will be a regular once Corey retires - which one would think would be the end of this year.

But I would say that both Corey & Hyphen have been told their spots arent safe & have to fight for it so I wouldnt be surprised to see either rotated in and out of the side pending form.

Disagree. Corey won't be getting dropped. They had their chance to do that last year and didn't. It won't be happening. They're playing him in the backline instead of the midfield, that indicates they want him in the seniors no matter where it is.

Disagree. Corey won't be getting dropped. They had their chance to do that last year and didn't. It won't be happening. They're playing him in the backline instead of the midfield, that indicates they want him in the seniors no matter where it is.

Would have thought it was pretty obvious why he didn't get dropped last year, and that's because although his form was down a bit on previous years he was still better then those trying to take his spot, and by a fair margin.

Holds his current form and he'll continue to play seniors this year as well, whether down back, where he was very good last week, or through the midfield.
Think you'll just heve to get used to the fact that he ain't quite finished just yet.

Would have thought it was pretty obvious why he didn't get dropped last year, and that's because although his form was down a bit on previous years he was still better then those trying to take his spot, and by a fair margin.

Holds his current form and he'll continue to play seniors this year as well, whether down back, where he was very good last week, or through the midfield.
Think you'll just heve to get used to the fact that he ain't quite finished just yet.
Let's take this owaat. After the Blues game, wonder what the prevailing feeling will be.

That's what has all of us flummoxed. Taylor Hunt in the backline I can understand until Guthrie or Josh Hunt come back, but I can't see any sane reason to have Corey there. Except the obvious - he can't run out a full game in the middle, so by conserving him there for a half he can go full bore later in the game. Very risky strategy, in its only outing so far it proved successful. Whether it will work all year remains to be seen.

`opposition are fresh, and are more willing to take that chance the later the game goes.

It could also be they don't want all the veteran onballers operating together while the opposition are fresh, and are more willing to take that chance the later the game goes.

absolutely spot on -thats why i was hoping -Corey would call it quits at the end of last year

Bad news: Shane McInerney is though.

It could be worse-Steve McBurney could be umpiring. I struggle to function when I see this little man (Mcburney) run around on his weekend power trip. He often wants to be bigger than the game and Im pretty sure an article in inside footy last year pointed him out to be the leagues leading free kick payer. He often runs from 100 metres away to over rule his colleague who is 5 metres away because he saw some small incidental thing happen. His colleagues must hate him for this. Make no mistake, he could have cost us the 2009 flag. His grandstanding decision to gift Kozi another kick on the goal line just prior to half time (kozi had already kicked a goal off the ground) still infuriates me 4 years on. Look closely at the vision if you get a minute. Milburn goes up to the goal umpire saying he touched it and puts 2 fingers up and says thats the second one you have missed today (darren reckons he touched one earlier in the day that was missed). Mcburney runs in and you hear him on the telecast say "insulting gesture,free kick" and pay the free kick on the line. It really shows how out of touch some umpires are with the real world. The two finger salute went out just before the second world war but Mcburney hasnt noticed a noticeable decrease in the number of digits used these days obviously. He stuffed up big time because thats what he paid the free kick for and infact milburn wasnt attempting at all to insult the umpire with the gesture. Its obvious that he lives in a bubble. Im guessing he is an accountant. The poor little 9 year old girl sitting in front of me in the ponsford stand that day sadly heard some colourful language(nothing too bad) from yours truly (and im generally pretty laid back) but hey mcburney made me do it. He hasnt scored a grand final berth since.

gee Floyd, that post made me feel uneasy reading about that little man and his whistle.

Let's hope we start well and do not have to worry about the umpires during this one :thumbsu:

Bad news: Shane McInerney is though..

We had him pay the Pies everything last week. If anything this is like pulling the short straw for both teams. He'll make some shocking calls that neither team understands and leaves you scratching your head.

Anyways, good luck to you tonight. Good luck to us. May the best team win. I always look forward to playing your mob - usually top games of football that are well contested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was glancing at the teams in the paper this morning, and noticed the TV/Radio listings...

Cats/Blues - Fox 3 / SEN
GC/Lions - 7/Fox / 3AW, ABC, MMM

What short straws have landed that have the local broadcasters having to call a game in Queensland against Cats Vs Blues?

That's seriously f*****.

I'm happy... Means I don't have to listen to those muppets BT, Darcy and Richo

Didn't expect Hyphen to be named to be honest. He has played 10 mins of footy in about 4-5 weeks? Was always going to play 2s this week (bar any late withdrawals), if he kills it then expect him to play next week I'd say

Didn't expect Hyphen to be named to be honest. He has played 10 mins of footy in about 4-5 weeks? Was always going to play 2s this week (bar any late withdrawals), if he kills it then expect him to play next week I'd say

He needs game time anywhere, that's for sure.

Bad news: Shane McInerney is though.

It could be worse-Steve McBurney could be umpiring. I struggle to function when I see this little man (Mcburney) run around on his weekend power trip. He often wants to be bigger than the game and Im pretty sure an article in inside footy last year pointed him out to be the leagues leading free kick payer. He often runs from 100 metres away to over rule his colleague who is 5 metres away because he saw some small incidental thing happen. His colleagues must hate him for this. Make no mistake, he could have cost us the 2009 flag. His grandstanding decision to gift Kozi another kick on the goal line just prior to half time (kozi had already kicked a goal off the ground) still infuriates me 4 years on. Look closely at the vision if you get a minute. Milburn goes up to the goal umpire saying he touched it and puts 2 fingers up and says thats the second one you have missed today (darren reckons he touched one earlier in the day that was missed). Mcburney runs in and you hear him on the telecast say "insulting gesture,free kick" and pay the free kick on the line. It really shows how out of touch some umpires are with the real world. The two finger salute went out just before the second world war but Mcburney hasnt noticed a noticeable decrease in the number of digits used these days obviously. He stuffed up big time because thats what he paid the free kick for and infact milburn wasnt attempting at all to insult the umpire with the gesture. Its obvious that he lives in a bubble. Im guessing he is an accountant. The poor little 9 year old girl sitting in front of me in the ponsford stand that day sadly heard some colourful language(nothing too bad) from yours truly (and im generally pretty laid back) but hey mcburney made me do it. He hasnt scored a grand final berth since.
Nice description, but Milburn clearly lied, did NOT touch the ball at all, which may be beside the point, and HE clearly lost us that lead.I love Milburn, but those sort of brain fades in a GF .......

Yep we are. Which is great. And apparently means everything is perfect and there is no room for improvement.

You don't get sucked in by Mick Mouse stuff? OK, tell me at what level has Kersten set the world on fire? Or Vardy? Because at home and away - where it's at - Kersten has contributed jack shit.

Besides which you've missed the point. Is Horlin-Smith the ideal choice for a sub or not? I'd say not, which means making him that is the wrong call.

"Yep we are. Which is great. And apparently means everything is perfect and there is no room for improvement."
That bit made me laugh:thumbsu:

"You don't get sucked in by Mick Mouse stuff? Ok, tell me at what level has Kersten set the world on fire? Or Vardy? Because at home and away - where it's at - Kersten has contributed jack shit."
You can have GHS I'll stick with Vardy and Kersten,time will decide that.

"Besides which you've missed the point. Is Horlin-Smith the ideal choice for a sub or not? I'd say not, which means making him that is the wrong call."
I don't think there is any such thing at the moment,no club to my knowledge is training players for that specific role,but I could see it happening in the future.That game they just went with the 22 player picked from the available list is how I read it.I'll stick with the people being payed to do the job they have all the latest tools and information to make informed decisions.

The bigger question will be if we get done tonight by Carlton and smashed in the clearances is whether or not he should have been in the starting side this week,again you can only trust those whose job it is to make those decisions.
Cats by 16 points.

He needs game time anywhere, that's for sure.
Exactly, I don't see it as a complete negative, have a run in the VFL and get his confidence/touch up then against the contested machine that is Sydney he comes in

I haven't seen the final interchange bench and sub for tonight.....anyone know?

Cheers

I think the teams are normally finalised and the sub confirmed a couple of hours before the first bounce

Let's take this owaat. After the Blues game, wonder what the prevailing feeling will be.

Well that we don't know of course, what we do know though is that currently he's clearly best twenty two, and that's the point I'm making.

I know you're not a huge fan, but would you disagree with that?

Whether that will still be the case at the end of the year we'll just have to wait and see, but if last week was any indication he still has a bit to offer, and doesn't look like a player who's finished despite statements to the contrary during last weeks match day thread.

Well that we don't know of course, what we do know though is that currently he's clearly best twenty two, and that's the point I'm making.

I know you're not a huge fan, but would you disagree with that?

Whether that will still be the case at the end of the year we'll just have to wait and see, but if last week was any indication he still has a bit to offer, and doesn't look like a player who's finished despite statements to the contrary during last weeks match day thread.
I agree with you that he is , or should be best 22.
My main gripe with him was disposal, and then last year , slow and a bit of a liability in defence.
But I love his extraction work in last quarters particularly, his marking, and his putting the team first. He is an unfashionable champion.
I don't like him in defence, but as an extractor/mid, if fit, he has to play until he can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back