Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see Brown fitting in this week. Even against the tall forward line of the Roos he only lasted a half. Walker would cut him to pieces. Lonergan will take Casbalt/resting Kruz and that's about all the Blues have big forwards wise. Taylor on Rowe if he is forward.

With Riv out, we are gonna need him and I dont wanna play Pods back if they go tall...

Go Catters

Carlton's talls are hardly Cloke and the Tomahawk. Their third tall might catch you out and take a grab on Mackie, but Mackie would do a lot more damage going the other way. If Lonners and Taylor keep hold of them when they go deep it shouldn't be an issue, as a guy like Hampson stuggles to kick them from 30m out straight infront anyway.

Carlton's talls are hardly Cloke and the Tomahawk. Their third tall might catch you out and take a grab on Mackie, but Mackie would do a lot more damage going the other way. If Lonners and Taylor keep hold of them when they go deep it shouldn't be an issue, as a guy like Hampson stuggles to kick them from 30m out straight infront anyway.

IMO its irrelevant, we need Brown to get games and with Rivers out the opportunity to shine is NOW.
In 4 weeks we will have a pretty clear opinion on how he may go in the future (not expecting him to star or anything, but he should give us a clear picture).

Thurlow could be interesting for this game. He does seem to have greta composure.
I tend to think Brown will be given at least 1 or 2 more games though.

I am sticking my neck on the block here but you guys underestimate Hampson at your peril. He is not in the same league as Hawkins but he is big, strong, can jump, can clunk them and will certainly create a contest and bring the ball to ground where our danger men roam. He does struggle for accuracy but has had good days with his goal kicking too.

Having made a bold case for the big boy he probably will make a fool of me, in which case I won't return. If he lives us to my spruik I will be back to say I told you so.

Good luck Saturday night and huge congratulations to Lonergan on his 100th game against the odds. Heroic effort.

I don't see Brown fitting in this week. Even against the tall forward line of the Roos he only lasted a half. Walker would cut him to pieces.

I disagree. As far as I'm concerned, Brown is much better suited to defending a Walker-type than a Tarrant-type. In fact, I'd say he's a bit of a Walker-type himself, when he's playing forward. I think the majority would agree by now that the substitution was more about getting Stokes on the ground than getting Brown off the ground. This week is the perfect opportunity for the team to show faith in him. Give him another week and let him prove he belongs. He can't just be a one week in/one week out proposition for the rest of the year.

Hasn't Walker been playing down back?

I am sticking my neck on the block here but you guys underestimate Hampson at your peril. He is not in the same league as Hawkins but he is big, strong, can jump, can clunk them and will certainly create a contest and bring the ball to ground where our danger men roam. He does struggle for accuracy but has had good days with his goal kicking too.

I think there's a big chance for Carlton to see how North set up and go super-tall against us as well, with Walker, Henderson, Kreuzer/Hampson and Rowe/Casboult, joining Yarran and Garlett in the forwardline. If they do that, I think Brown might have to take Rowe or Casboult, with Lonergan taking Henderson,Taylor taking the resting ruckman, Mackie on Walker, Enright on Garlett and T.Hunt/Corey/Varcoe on Yarran (not crazy about any of those match-ups on Yarran, to be honest). A loose in defence might be the best option, if they set-up like that, though it runs the risk of freeing up Scotland or even Gibbs if he starts in defence (something we should not do under any circumstances).

In our forward line, Jamison obviously goes to Hawkins. He did well against Cloke on the weekend and would expect to be reasonably successful in holding Hawkins as well. Hawk has been good without setting the world on fire so far and this is as good a time as any for him to stamp himself on the 2013 season. Pods will be absolutely critical. If they want to play Henderson forward, Pods has to abuse whichever defender they send to him and force Carlton to pick their poison. Duigan and Scotland are back and their matchups depend on whether Johnson comes back in. Smedts is in the gun at selection and is every chance to be dropped, but I wouldn't mind him playing as a defensive forward on Scotland (or Gibbs, if he's back there). GHS deserves to come in and if he's in the midfield, I'd feel a bit better about having to shift Poodle to defence (yet again), though we'll miss his pace.

Murdoch is a wild card. Is his hand right? If so, does he come straight back in? He probably needs a week in the scoobies, but Saturday night at the Dome against Carlton looks like the perfect setting for what he provides for the team. If he plays and gets a bit of the ball, he could have a night out.

With Riv out, we are gonna need him and I dont wanna play Pods back if they go tall...

Go Catters

And who will they be going tall with exactly? Hampson is INJURED and won't be playing. Geez against the current Carlton side there is barely need for 2 key position players never mind 2 plus Brown.

IMO its irrelevant, we need Brown to get games and with Rivers out the opportunity to shine is NOW.
What we need to do is pick a balanced side that matches up well with the opposition. If that doesn't include Brown SO BE IT! If he has struggled with injury til now it's just tough ####en luck. This is a tough team to get into and stay in. I am tired as hell of the ridiculous nonsensical desperation some are going to justify a spot for him.

The club doesn't owe him anything and if he never really gets a chance to 'shine' this year that's just the way it goes.

And again Waker will be miles to good for him. Scott will never allow that matchup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah by 12 points and 2 points. Hardly defining victories :p Also beat us in 2009 and 2010. Considering the outstanding record we have against teams in recent years, Carlton would be one of the better off ones.

But both of those games were at the MCG.
Geelongs clinical ball use often cuts us up at Etihad (oh and Warnock not being to kick straight from 20m out as well :D )

And who will they be going tall with exactly? Hampson is INJURED and won't be playing. Geez against the current Carlton side there is barely need for 2 key position players never mind 2 plus Brown.

Hampson was out last week because of an operation to remove his appendix and, from everything I've read/heard he is every chance to come back in on Saturday night.

And again Waker will be miles to good for him. Scott will never allow that matchup.

In what way will Walker be expected to get on top of him? He's not exactly the body-on-body type that Brown would be expected to have problems with.

What we need to do is pick a balanced side that matches up well with the opposition. If that doesn't include Brown SO BE IT! If he has struggled with injury til now it's just tough ####en luck. This is a tough team to get into and stay in. I am tired as hell of the ridiculous nonsensical desperation some are going to justify a spot for him.

The club doesn't owe him anything and if he never really gets a chance to 'shine' this year that's just the way it goes.

And I'm saying a balanced side INCLUDES Rivers/Brown hence, he plays.

Guess what, just because you might not like him doesnt mean others do too and that doesnt make it a "ridiculous nonsensical desperation" to include him in the side. You dont like him, congrats, I think he deserves another game.

Not good on Rivers.. But the returns to the VFL are good. Also CS said Vardy is not this week but next in the VFL so that is good.

Hopefully SJ gets up and I want to see what Brown can do since he may be in for another month. Hope he does alright.

I imagine the ruck and clearances may be a problem again. Kruze is in good form and Judd /Murph are starting to get better as the weeks go on. They still lost to an under strength pies so hope that means we should be right to win. Another close one though.

Do we pick a side that balances up with the opposition or do we pick the side we want to play and let them try to balance up to us?

Carlton seem to be playing a few small forwards so if we are picking to play them then perhaps Thurlow is a better fitt. But if we are picking the side we want to pick then do we pick 2 talls,3 mediums,1 small or 3 talls , 3 mediums

Or do we look at it that like - Rivers would normally be a part of the setup , let Brown play while he is out. Full Stop. It gives him 3 weeks to show he can play , it lets him know he has three weeks , and it lets us try to make some long term guesstimates about his future with us. Thurlow still has played only 1 VFL game. To play him know would be huge vote of confidence in him.

And as much as Browns position is one for debate , id really like us to thinking about our small defenders role. Do we position a seasoned player for a future in the back pocket , do we bring in a young player who can make it his spot , do we give some young kid a like Eardley a chance to show himself. Garrlet and Yarran have the ability to anyone look like a bonzo but its a position we have to look at. Side after side hits us in this position , bet a certain munchkin from Freo can't ait to play us again.

And I'm saying a balanced side INCLUDES Rivers/Brown hence, he plays.

Guess what, just because you might not like him doesnt mean others do too and that doesnt make it a "ridiculous nonsensical desperation" to include him in the side. You dont like him, congrats, I think he deserves another game.
Given the circumstances, you'd think that if Mitch is a selection casualty this week the signs aren't good for him long term. :(

Given the circumstances, you'd think that if Mitch is a selection casualty this week the signs aren't good for him long term. :(

If Brown is dropped then it shows the MC have zero faith in him and he will be gone at years end.

According to Channel 10 news, Rivers has been ruled out for this week and could miss the Sydney game too. But Stevie J thinks he will play, he just has to convince the doctors as usual.

So for the next 19 games, he plays VFL every week? Absurd .

You need to read what I quoted and the discussion leading to that.

I'm not saying that will happen but really couldnt think he would be in long term plans if he is dropped the week after his first game of the year with no Rivers. If he cant get a game now he wont all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back