Preview AFL Round 6 Sydney Swans V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great Previews. :thumbsu:

So… here we are again, this is Sydney is such a ****weak club Rivalry Round. ;)
We’ve played at the SCG 10 times and the results are sitting on 5 all, both with 4 wins in 2010... game on!

So with a special mention to the GG clip, where I noticed amongst the thistles and weeds there was…
Corrupted by the simple sniff of riches blown
I know you have felt much more love than you've shown… but I sigh no more.

Gotta love coaches like Vossy and Roos who say bugga that to bottoming out. Looking forward to this one it looks as though the in form team of the bottom eight last year is still on a roll and Voss should have his troops up again after a couple of slaps around the ears after the horror showing against Melbourne.

And if we thought Melbourne had numbers around the ball in the last game, we now face a team renowned for running, head over the ball and hunting in packs – this is now truly yet another ‘statement’ game for both teams with the Lions back, as we were against the doggies, in the hunter not the hunted roll.

Stating the bleeding obvious, we will need to lift our game immensely to grab the points in this one, hopefully the anticipated return of Power and Shermo and their added pace should get us over the line.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Sherman, Power, Adcock and Buchanan better play this week, would love Amon to play against his former club.

I do wonder if there is something in this. This year it seems the better Black plays the worse the team plays.

I don't think the players are lazy because Black is there, but perhaps they are mindful of getting in his way?

I've been seeing a lot of Rich's indecision as coming from this. Not just with Black going at the ball, but many times I've seen him get to the ball and basically cede to our other player in the contest, despite him being the one in best position, or the one you'd want taking the ball away.

The thing about Rich is he gets himself in the right positions to win the footy but there has almost been a reluctance in his game to have the footy in his hands. Almost a confidence issue, we have big expectations on the young fella but realistically as soon as he is confident enough to realise he is the MAN for us i think he impact on games will go through the roof(maybe a year or 2 needed)

For this game against the swans we need to change up our structures a little. Kennelly, Shaw, Malceski and Mattner drive the swans, their game style is very similar to the one Melbourne destroyed us with. Basically we need to shut down at least 2 of these players. Kennelly and Malceski are my 2 designated tagged forwards.

McGrath goes to T.Kennelly, has the pace to keep with him and the ability to hurt him with goals.

Redden goes to Malceski- Jack seems to be playing the Rischitelli role of last year on the forward line, he needs to start shutting attacking defenders down or else he is in danger of losing his spot in the team.

Assuming Brown and Merrett are out i don't think we need any more talls

Maguire vs Bradshaw

Patfull vs Goodes

Clark vs White - i was against Clark playing back because of his gun efforts last year. Vossy seems intent on using Luey as our main ruck option, Clark needs a defined role. With Merrett out he goes back.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Selwood come into the team. He would go to O'Keefe.

Outs- Merrett, Brown, Hawksley (not enough body strength)

In- Sherman, Power, Selwood:eek:

Finally in Brown's absence i would like to see Polkinghorne and Fevola isolated in our forward 50m arc. Polkinghorne is our best lead up player with Brown gone. What i like about Polks is that he will lead straight up the corridor and is a bloody hard match up due to his strength in the air.

Thanks for the previews.

Any chance of Aaron Cornelius coming in to play a key position role?

I think there's a chance grimlock, but I personally wouldn't be putting anything on it until we get a better indication of what is happening with Brown this week. The teamsheet will definitely be highly anticipated this Thursday.

(P.S. Love the avatar. Lol :thumbsu:)

thanks for the previews, well another nig game this week. really glad we broke our sydney hoodoo last year, that said they are a different team this year but so are we. If we can play the same footy as the first four weeks i am confident that we can get up, idf last weeks insipid effort resufaces wont be happy. Looking forward to a hard fought game.

I do wonder if there is something in this. This year it seems the better Black plays the worse the team plays.

I don't think the players are lazy because Black is there, but perhaps they are mindful of getting in his way?

I've maintained this for years: the "Leave it to Blacky" syndrome. Is especially the case when he comes back into the side. Everyone just seems to relax that little bit thinking they don't need to apply themselves quite as much.

Injury News
Last updated on Monday 26 April 2010

Daniel Merrett (hamstring) - TBC
Justin Sherman (thigh) - Test
Luke Power (hip) - Test
Amon Buchanan (thumb) - Test
Jed Adcock (quad) - Test
Cheynee Stiller (hamstring) - Test
Mitch Golby (knee) - 2 weeks
Jamie Charman (ankle) - 2-4 weeks
Xavier Clarke (knee) - Indefinite

Looking at this injury list, if Merrett, Sherman, Power and Adcock don't come up, I think we are in real trouble against Sydney. The loss of Merrett in particular would be a real blow, because he shapes as a natural opponent for Bradshaw.

It was clear that we missed Sherman's pace last round and while he is no speed machine, Luke Power's cool head, work rate, commitment and willingness to run was also missed. If we can get both players back it would be a great help, but I still think that Sydney are going to be very hard to beat.

They are "up and about" at the moment and I think that they would look at us as a team that was very vulnerable. I expect that they will be looking closely at the tape of our performance against Melbourne and you can expect them to try to play us in much the same fashion.

This is going to be a tough assignment. I'd like to think we will win, but I am not prepared to call it.

Go Lions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i agree with above.Hawksley gone that guy cant kick for crap turned it over 7 times down back counted everyone and cost us 4 goals learn to kick or play in the 2's.Brisbane will win this one.Though no tall backs to replace Merret thts why Roe should of stayed.Lions By 34 points. 4 changes i hope.

If Adcock is back, I can't see Hawksley playing.

If Brown doesn't play, we'd need Sherman and Power to come back so they can rotate through the forward line as small forwards and also to help with the delivery to Fev. Actually, we probably need them back anyhow.

If Merrett doesn't play, God help us.

Buchanan and Stiller both potentially add to the squad as well.

So really, until we see who is fit to play, there's no way of knowing how this one will go.

Just wondering who you guys see matching up on Bradshaw, Goodes and White if Merret doesn't come up? Will Staker be used in defence?

As reported by Grim in Merrett's roster watch thread, Merrett is out for up to 3 weeks.

My ins and outs:

Hawksley out - Adcock in
Proud out - Sherman in
Polkinghorne out - Buchanan in
Rockliff out - Power in
Merrett out - Cornelius in

People have been talking about Staker playing down back. How about Staker to White, Maguire to Bradshaw and Patfull to Goodes? Then Clark or maybe Cornelius can play the lead up forward role.

Just wondering who you guys see matching up on Bradshaw, Goodes and White if Merret doesn't come up? Will Staker be used in defence?

Maguire will take one, perhaps whoever plays closer to CHB so White? Not sure whether Staker will go back but is another option.

Patful likely to go on Goodes when he floats forward and may just follow him wherever he goes.

Clark also could be an option and has been good whenever sent down back (likes a speccy down there too) although Vossy would be loath to take him out of the ruck.

In short, Braddie is the man we may have trouble matching up on. I doubt they will bring in a tall like Cornelius so they may just back a medium size such as Drummond or Hawksley on him. While Braddie is not super-tall, his strength is what will kill you, so none of these matchups are ideal.

People have been talking about Staker playing down back. How about Staker to White, Maguire to Bradshaw and Patfull to Goodes? Then Clark or maybe Cornelius can play the lead up forward role.
This looks like about all we could do.

I rekon dropping Rich back to the 2's will do him alot of good! IMHO he feels very comfortable and thinks he is going to get in the side every week. I rekon drop him back to the 2's bring him back down to earth and the young fella will realise that he is only a second year player and is not certain to get a game for his whole career unless he starts playing good footy again. Than we as fans will reap the rewards as we get to watch him back at his awsome best again:D Anyone agree?

P.S. I didn't really think this week just if he continues to play like this for lets say the next 4 rounds. However I do honestly think a break out game is on the cards:thumbsu::)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 6 Sydney Swans V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back