AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What they need to release is the breakdown of Full/Silver club support for each club. They used to do this but stopped about 10 years ago. What happens if say Collingwood has 10k Full Members and Essendon has 8k full members and they meet in a GF, will they all be guaranteed a GF ticket?
I hate the way they (like many businesses now) treat us like idiots. The secrecy about member numbers and seat allocations is to give themselves licence to do what they want.
Another thread has the member numbers from the last time they were published, in the 2014 annual report. Ignoring those who didn't nominate a club of support, Collingwood had 25.1% of members, Carl next at 14.5%, Essendon 12.9%.
This includes silver and absentee. So very rough, but if Coll and Carl played in a GF and percentages for Gold were similar, that's just under 12000 seats. No reason why they shouldn't be able to get tickets, but who knows with the AFL.

Yes I do. The amount I pay is roughly (or maybe it is exactly) the same amount as the difference between a Richmond membership for that seat and a Richmond GA membership. So 100% fair.
It means I don't have to book or save seats for others I go to the footy with every week and being in the Northern Stand you don't look in the sun for day games.
Thank you!

I hate the way they (like many businesses now) treat us like idiots. The secrecy about member numbers and seat allocations is to give themselves licence to do what they want.
Another thread has the member numbers from the last time they were published, in the 2014 annual report. Ignoring those who didn't nominate a club of support, Collingwood had 25.1% of members, Carl next at 14.5%, Essendon 12.9%.
This includes silver and absentee. So very rough, but if Coll and Carl played in a GF and percentages for Gold were similar, that's just under 12000 seats. No reason why they shouldn't be able to get tickets, but who knows with the AFL.
That data is nearly 10 years old. From the previous say 10 pages, there was a pile of pies supporters jumping on in 2010-2011 who are now gold in recent years.

The big question is do the AFL set aside seats for non-competing gold members. In the Coll v Carlton scenario do they fill up say 80% and any Carl/Coll supporters that missed round 1 (first 80%) will have to get in the rush for that last 20%?

But yes I do not understand the secrecy either

That data is nearly 10 years old. From the previous say 10 pages, there was a pile of pies supporters jumping on in 2010-2011 who are now gold in recent years.
Current data would be good but actually old data is not as bad as we might think. It seems the newly minted Gold members are the class of 2010 so 2010 figures (see AFL Annual Reports) give us some idea of what AFL Gold might comprise of. Assuming an even rate of attrition I estimate:
Collingwood 7073
Carlton 4351
Essendon 4145
Richmond 2763
Geelong 2706
Hawthorn 2097
St Kilda 1904
North 1210
Bulldogs 1133
Melbourne 1083
Sydney 468
Brisbane 433
Adelaide 281
West Coast 169
Port 101
Freo 82
Gold Cost 0
GWS 0

Silver should be capped at 30k, they asked members about this a few years ago and decided not to remove the cap. If they have removed it that is another thing that has been done on the sly.

What they need to release is the breakdown of Full/Silver club support for each club. They used to do this but stopped about 10 years ago. What happens if say Collingwood has 10k Full Members and Essendon has 8k full members and they meet in a GF, will they all be guaranteed a GF ticket?
I have a feeling they cap Gold Members based on club of support. Further back in the thread someone posted they were offered Gold while someone with a lower waitlist number wasn't. Was this due to the club they supported to make sure all Gold of club of support could get a Grand Final ticket?

Current data would be good but actually old data is not as bad as we might think. It seems the newly minted Gold members are the class of 2010 so 2010 figures (see AFL Annual Reports) give us some idea of what AFL Gold might comprise of. Assuming an even rate of attrition I estimate:
Collingwood 7073
Carlton 4351
Essendon 4145
Richmond 2763
Geelong 2706
Hawthorn 2097
St Kilda 1904
North 1210
Bulldogs 1133
Melbourne 1083
Sydney 468
Brisbane 433
Adelaide 281
West Coast 169
Port 101
Freo 82
Gold Cost 0
GWS 0
Good luck trying to get a ticket to the GF this year if it's Collingwood V Carlton and you're a non competing Gold member.
Reckon there would be lucky to be 1,500 tickets left over for non competing.

I did ask what the club breakdown was and they didn’t provide

The big question is do the AFL set aside seats for non-competing gold members. In the Coll v Carlton scenario do they fill up say 80% and any Carl/Coll supporters that missed round 1 (first 80%) will have to get in the rush for that last 20%?

But yes I do not understand the secrecy either
I doubt they set aside any tickets for non competing full members but I don't know - you would assume if there are enough competing club members then they just exhaust the allocation. It would be rare though, would require two of the big 4 playing each other in a GF.

I doubt they set aside any tickets for non competing full members but I don't know - you would assume if there are enough competing club members then they just exhaust the allocation. It would be rare though, would require two of the big 4 playing each other in a GF.
We might find out this year.

Quick Q - I got a single seat in the AFL Reserve for Coll v Melb, but will now be sitting in general admission as a non-AFL member friend booked for a group of us. Apparently there's no way to return my AFL Member ticket to the pool for resale - do you know if it's transferable - i.e. give to another Gold/Silver?

Quick Q - I got a single seat in the AFL Reserve for Coll v Melb, but will now be sitting in general admission as a non-AFL member friend booked for a group of us. Apparently there's no way to return my AFL Member ticket to the pool for resale - do you know if it's transferable - i.e. give to another Gold/Silver?
You should able to share via ticketek

Yeah, you can do that.

The only issue is if you bought it as a junior/concession and an adult wants to use it. Technically, they'd have to pay the top-up price for an adult ticket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it is a member ticket and not guest pass, you do run the low risk of being caught for breaching membership T&C.
That would be an extremely hardline interpretation of the T&C's.

Whilst there is some commentary regarding tickets not being resold (Cl. 11), I can't see that the member would be adversely judged in the event they were to pass on that ticket to another person who is otherwise entitled to purchase that ticket - in this case a Gold or Silver AFL Member for Week 1 & 2 of finals; and provided it is not done at a profit.

The worse that would happen is that the person attempting to gain access to the Reserve using the ticket would have to prove they were an AFL Gold or Silver Member.

Whilst there is some commentary regarding tickets not being resold (Cl. 11), I can't see that the member would be adversely judged in the event they were to pass on that ticket to another person who is otherwise entitled to purchase that ticket - in this case a Gold or Silver AFL Member for Week 1 & 2 of finals; and provided it is not done at a profit.

The worse that would happen is that the person attempting to gain access to the Reserve using the ticket would have to prove they were an AFL Gold or Silver Member.

Read the clause directly above that which you have referenced.

"AFL Membership cards and associated benefits are for personal use only and may not be transferred to another person under any circumstances. Lending an AFL Membership card, or in any other way transferring AFL Membership benefits to another person, is a breach of these Terms and Conditions."

That seems pretty clear cut to me. Your membership is your membership, any ticket bought on your membership is your ticket, and neither are allowed to be transferred to or used by another person, regardless of whether or not that other person is an AFL member themselves.

I misr admit I missed the bit about the transfer being to another member.
Can I agree with both of you?
Strictly not allowed but it would be pretty harsh and unreasonable if transferred to another member. Of course you would want to be able to trust that other member not to sell it off.
The other thing about tickets is it is not always obvious whose ticket is whose when you buy for a group. I just look at the type e.g. adult when distributing. I am sure I have gone on on others' tickets countless times.

"AFL Membership cards and associated benefits are for personal use only and may not be transferred to another person under any circumstances. Lending an AFL Membership card, or in any other way transferring AFL Membership benefits to another person, is a breach of these Terms and Conditions."

That seems pretty clear cut to me. Your membership is your membership, any ticket bought on your membership is your ticket, and neither are allowed to be transferred to or used by another person, regardless of whether or not that other person is an AFL member themselves.
Yes, I have read it and understand the literal implication.

I would also suggest that the AFL Membership Dept and/or MCG staff at the time of the event do not have the resources, capability or inclination of verifying that the membership used to purchase the ticket is in fact held by the member residing in that seat. It would slow up the process of people safely getting into the ground.

Several weeks ago, at a H&A match attracting barely 50,000 people, I and many others were waved through by the 'wand' person because too many people had presented at Gate 6 at once for them to effectively screen people. What makes you think they would literally check each ticket at time of entry and confirm that the ticket is tied to the membership of the entrant at time of purchase?

As I stated, at worst, they might do spot checks of people to verify that they have in their possession their membership card or otherwise provide details to verify their identity so that their memberships status can be verifed later.

Is it a risk? Legally, I'm sure it is.

But as 30-year member, I can only recall being asked to produce my bona fides no more than twice in that time; and the last time was some 20 years ago, give or take.

Yes, I have read it and understand the literal implication.

I would also suggest that the AFL Membership Dept and/or MCG staff at the time of the event do not have the resources, capability or inclination of verifying that the membership used to purchase the ticket is in fact held by the member residing in that seat. It would slow up the process of people safely getting into the ground.

Several weeks ago, at a H&A match attracting barely 50,000 people, I and many others were waved through by the 'wand' person because too many people had presented at Gate 6 at once for them to effectively screen people. What makes you think they would literally check each ticket at time of entry and confirm that the ticket is tied to the membership of the entrant at time of purchase?

As I stated, at worst, they might do spot checks of people to verify that they have in their possession their membership card or otherwise provide details to verify their identity so that their memberships status can be verifed later.

Is it a risk? Legally, I'm sure it is.

But as 30-year member, I can only recall being asked to produce my bona fides no more than twice in that time; and the last time was some 20 years ago, give or take.

Oh I agree with you regarding the likelihood of getting caught. It's pretty small and it's a risk as an AFL member that I have been and am prepared to take.

I'm just clarifying that it's pretty clear cut according to the T&Cs that it's not allowed. Your membership is your membership and your ticket is your ticket, regardless of the status of the person you're giving them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back