AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its 95k suspected with 30% of the tickets being bought by resellers, so if they sell them then yeh, but i guess 92k.
Some tickets are selling $300 to $500 for AFL Reserve at the moment...

Is the risk buying a scalped AFL Reserve ticket that you still may have to show your membership card on entry and may then be denied admission?

Only seats left are the 13,000 walks up for the MCC, all other seats have been sold. Will be a large crowd (assuming sold seats haven't gone to scalpers who can't flog them off).

It is illegal for them to buy them, so they cannot go that route.
Good idea though, but the $300 they buy for they would have to resell at face value so illegal and at a loss :(

What's the reasoning behind this? It's not illegal for the scalper to sell the tickets, but it's illegal for the AFL to buy them? Seems like the common sense solution is to just have someone at the AFL officially, or non-officially buy a few of these tickets and then start cancelling memberships.

I thought it would have been ok for the AFL to buy scalper's tickets. They're the ones issuing the actual tickets. What are they going to do? Press charges against themselves?

Sorry il clarify.
The selling of tickets higher than mark up is illegal and in breach of T&C's
For the AFL to provide money to someone selling tickets that breach the T&C's isn't looked upon highly.
Especially when the markup is quite high. Essentially since its a breach to sell, it makes it illegal to buy (from an outside perspective) in the view of other affiliate and governing bodies etc.

In reality Ticketek are the ones losing money here not the AFL.
The fans and members etc are also the ones missing out which looks back on the AFL.
Hence why Gill originally approached Ticketek and the MCG re Ticket scalping.

In saying that i have no doubt that AFL do buy them via some way, it just isnt' ever mentioned.
Remember ticket scalping happens worldwide and ticketek being the most hated ticketing company so from an AFL perspective they do not like it, but i assume the effort to launch investigations, work with the governing bodies, then go to court and pay all legal fee's to try and stop ticket scalping is just to big of a thing in all sports.

I just hope that moving forward the AFL for members (club and afl) do there best to maybe manage it a bit differently.
Every year it is the same thing.

Last edited:
Yes, but the chances of that happening are very low. Guest passes you don't need to produce a membership card.
They really need to step up on that. Make people have to scan their AFL membership card and don't issue barcodes on tickets for non guest passes. Photos on AFL membership cards is also an option.

One thing with it is the AFL are a business, tickets are still getting sold at face value, so they are making a percentage of money.
It just is more so the fact it brings the game into the media for the wrong thing, so i do hope they change it to better the fans experience of getting quality seats.

Hey Speck, see my post above yours.
One thing with it is the AFL are a business, tickets are still getting sold at face value, so they are making money.
It just is more so the fact it brings the game into the media for the wrong thing, so i do hope they change it to better the fans experience of getting quality seats.
100% correct. There's a difference between scalping a general public ticket and a non-transferable AFL membership ticket though. By actually enforcing the non-transferable part of that, it makes it a lot more difficult to scalp (guest passes are an exception).

One thing with it is the AFL are a business, tickets are still getting sold at face value, so they are making a percentage of money.

And it devalues the AFL membership when the main selling point is access to finals yet non-members can purchase tix on ebay

Sorry il clarify.
The selling of tickets higher than mark up is illegal and in breach of T&C's
For the AFL to provide money to someone selling tickets that breach the T&C's isn't looked upon highly.
Especially when the markup is quite high. Essentially since its a breach to sell, it makes it illegal to buy (from an outside perspective) in the view of other affiliate and governing bodies etc.
Some people are getting a bit mixed up here.
Scalping is NOT illegal unless the ticket is for a 'declared event' under the legislation. The Grand Final is the only declared event in the AFL.
It is not illegal to sell or buy a ticket above face value for the Qualifying Final.

However scalping is against the terms and conditions of the original supply of the ticket.
So if the supplier of the ticket (Ticketek/AFL/MCC) discovers you are scalping they can cancel the ticket and possibly take other actions like cancelling your membership.

There is nothing stopping the AFL from purchasing these tickets advertised at high prices. It is not illegal in any way.
The reason they are not purchasing them all and following up on it is that they are incompetent buffoons. They may also be worried that revealing the identity of the scalpers could be embarrassing. There are lots of different groups with access to the AFL Reserve, including the 18 clubs, ex players/life members, sponsors, staff etc, it's not necessarily just an ordinary Joe Bloe member.

Last edited:
There are so many other general tickets mixed into the AFL area now, the gate attendants would have no idea what type of ticket you are scanning in with, no one will get caught on-selling be they members or guest tickets.

I get the feeling the AFL aren't really too concerned either. Its all hot air to make members feel better about getting ripped off. If I was gold or silver with Richmond or Geelong affiliation and missed out while guests are being admitted, I'd be very upset.

While the waiting list is long and there are plenty of members who suck up the rubbish every year, it will continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are so many other general tickets mixed into the AFL area now, the gate attendants would have no idea what type of ticket you are scanning in with, no one will get caught on-selling be they members or guest tickets.
Good point. I wonder if you could maybe use this to your advantage on Grand Final Day?

As I have said before, this year I got an absentee membership and got a few cardboard coupons to attend MCG games. The game day ticketing is a bit of a mess with staff incredibly smug and always thinking you're ripping them off and the wait times were crazy; about six people and it took me a good 25 minutes to pick up blank tickets... anyway, there were people down from the country who grabbed a big book of about 10 tickets for a game and a minute later someone else grabbed a different looking set of tickets for a similar reason.

I personally think it's a load of shit, mostly because these campaigners were arseholes in line and walk around like they've gotten an invite to the Champions League final from Adidas.

Really it's all just another example of people losing touch with the game, and the game becoming pretty hard to attend. One day the Grand Final will be difficult for even gold AFL Members...

How about this?
1x Seller on Ebay had AFL Reserve tickets 25x all sold within couple of hours, $180 each.
Yet we cannot get any, now due to all this bull... im going to be at home with no tickets for the game.
FN So Angry
And you have every right to be mate. What happened last week fkg sucks hard. I think this has happened twice in that first onsale in late feb/early March the last couple years where this error has occurred as I remember having to settle for row AA in Q26 for an ANZAC Day game after having a time out error happen whilst in the midst of securing my N27 row A ticket. Ticketek really do need to look at their system & be prepared for these big onsale dates. I tried on Wednesday at 9:30 & got donuts. Unlike yourself, my team isn't playing so I didn't bother trying but had I been in your shoes, I'd be peeved. Hopefully you still get to go to the game.

There is nothing stopping the AFL from purchasing these tickets advertised at high prices. It is not illegal in any way.
The reason they are not purchasing them all and following up on it is that they are incompetent buffoons. They may also be worried that revealing the identity of the scalpers could be embarrassing. There are lots of different groups with access to the AFL Reserve, including the 18 clubs, ex players/life members, sponsors, staff etc, it's not necessarily just an ordinary Joe Bloe member.

Why should they?

The majority of people on-selling AFL Members tickets are members.

Sounds like you don't understand how business and budgeting works, I'd be surprised if they had a dedicated expenditure line for purchasing 'scalped tickets'.

Anyone who purchases a scalped ticket is an idiot, you have no guarantee of receiving the ticket (depending on the site), high chance your ticket is being sold multiple times and are paying incredibly inflated prices.

Question. I am an AFL member and so is a mate of mine. He's given me his barcode for the Geelong Richmond game to get a friend of mine in as he's not going. Any chance of being 'carded' at all or someone checking my friend for her membership, which she doesn't have? It's a busy sold out game so. Has anyone ever been checked or asked to show an AFL membership card as well as your ticket?

EDIT: I should add my mate was going to come, but can't now so I want to go with someone else with his ticket. Not trying to rob the system per se over here.

Last edited:
We should really be spreading this across social media so that the AFL membership department are forced to change their ways.

For a game of this demand, no guest passes should be available on the first day of sales. Competing club members get the first 3 hours, then all AFL members can get it tickets in the afternoon.

Guest passes available the next day.

It actually really is that easy. I am a little grated as a Silver AFL member that a Collingwood Gold member can get a ticket to my teams game before I can as the finals go deeper.

Question. I am an AFL member and so is a mate of mine. He's given me his barcode for the Geelong Richmond game to get a friend of mine in as he's not going. Any chance of being 'carded' at all or someone checking my friend for her membership, which she doesn't have? It's a busy sold out game so. Has anyone ever been checked or asked to show an AFL membership card as well as your ticket?

EDIT: I should add my mate was going to come, but can't now so I want to go with someone else with his ticket. Not trying to rob the system per se over here.

The chance is small but definitely possible in a game like this one. I have been checked once, and seen them checking others another 3-4 times. Usually at big games/finals. There are posts further back in this thread I think about members being bumped to the back of the queue (the waiting list for gold membership I mean) as punishment for letting someone else use their membership. So part of it might depend on whether your mate is willing to risk that so that your friend can go.

Of course they'll open up guest passes. They make more money off them! I don't agree with it one bit but who said they give a stuff about the members? I mean grand final day they on sell bays in the afl members for corporate packages worth thousands that don't exist in any other final or regular season match.

Do you understand now... They don't care about you or I and they never have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back