AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question. I am an AFL member and so is a mate of mine. He's given me his barcode for the Geelong Richmond game to get a friend of mine in as he's not going. Any chance of being 'carded' at all or someone checking my friend for her membership, which she doesn't have? It's a busy sold out game so. Has anyone ever been checked or asked to show an AFL membership card as well as your ticket?

EDIT: I should add my mate was going to come, but can't now so I want to go with someone else with his ticket. Not trying to rob the system per se over here.

At last year's prelim Swans/cats they were telling everyone over the PA to make sure you had your membership card as well as your ticket as they would be checking everyone as you went through. However when we got to the front we just scanned through as normal with just the printed off ticket. There were thousands of people trying to get in 10 minutes before the game started so it's logistically impossible to card everyone unless you want people waiting til quarter time to get in.

Personally, I'm unaffected by the ticketing debacle for this game as I won't be attending but there's a large number of Richmond or Geelong AFL Members unable to attend yet many guest passes have been sold. I really think the booking process has to give the members an exclusive window to book in, for eg, tickets went on sale Wednesday, why not let AFL Members have exclusive access to book a ticket for the first day & a half (exclusive until Thursday at noon), then open it up for guest passes afternoon until sold out?

Really feel for the people missing out on a chance to see their team play a final due in main to a ticketing issue then, tickets being absorbed by guests.

Really feel for the people missing out on a chance to see their team play a final due in main to a ticketing issue then, tickets being absorbed by guests.

I think it should be like this:

1. MEMBERS
2. MEMBERS + PPL GOING WITH MEMBERS
3. GUEST PASS

Have an hour between members/ppl going with members and Guest Passes.
So basically you select your type of ticket so adult family you can have adult & friend so that way it differentiates
Problem is ticketing systems would completly need to be overhauled to work.

So if someone has a friend pass and isn't with the member it wont let them in, if they are a true friend they would call them tell them to come down,
Its a pain in the ass but its a start.

I am a little grated as a Silver AFL member that a Collingwood Gold member can get a ticket to my teams game before I can as the finals go deeper.

You won't get much, if any support for that argument.
Everyone buys an AFL Membership knowing that you only have access to weeks 1 and 2 of the finals as a silver member.
If you're lucky you may get a ticket to weeks 3 and 4 if gold members don't take up their allocation.

Once you have waited years and finally get Gold Membership, I think your opinion may change.

You won't get much, if any support for that argument.
Everyone buys an AFL Membership knowing that you only have access to weeks 1 and 2 of the finals as a silver member.
If you're lucky you may get a ticket to weeks 3 and 4 if gold members don't take up their allocation.

Once you have waited years and finally get Gold Membership, I think your opinion may change.

Yeah I get the rules, I just don't like them. And probably you're right that once I am Gold I won't care much for looking down on those Silver folk and their scramble for seats. Probably.

But the real issue here, as you touched on a little, is the years it takes to become a gold member. They're letting through less and less people every year as they sell more and more tickets and seats to corporates and other. When I signed up for AFL membership some years ago I did so on the basis that x people were being let through per year and it might take me x years to go to Gold and thus receive a grand final ticket opportunity. The AFL have changed that quite significantly. While they didn't create a contract to deliver on the expectation they sold me on, it's still pretty crappy.

9am Monday Gold competing
10am Monday Gold
9am Tuesday Silver competing (one guest pass)
12pm Tuesday Silver (one guest pass)

Not that hard surely.

Gold members get their by waiting. Their mates don't pay the extra fees to wait. This isn't the wank that is the MCC. If you want a guest pass then wait until the next morning and you'll probably get one. With each new window opening, the above members can still go in and use those perks – so a gold member can log in 9am Tuesday and still get a guest pass.

If some extra tickets come up last minute, give them to gold members and allow them 48 hours to grab them. It's a little extra. Any left any that and it's available to scan in, as realistically this will only become open within 24 hours of the game at the most.

But the real issue here, as you touched on a little, is the years it takes to become a gold member. They're letting through less and less people every year as they sell more and more tickets and seats to corporates and other. When I signed up for AFL membership some years ago I did so on the basis that x people were being let through per year and it might take me x years to go to Gold and thus receive a grand final ticket opportunity. The AFL have changed that quite significantly. While they didn't create a contract to deliver on the expectation they sold me on, it's still pretty crappy.
This is not really how it works. The number of people promoted from Silver to Gold depends on the number of existing Gold members not renewing, the Gold figure has been capped at approx 30K for a long time. There is no set amount let in each year, that is why they don't give out official figures on how long it will take you to reach Gold, because they don't know. I remember quite a few years when I was on the list there was only approx 1K getting promoted but then a few years later it was a bit over 2K for a few years. You're movement up the list also depends on how many other Silver members drop off.

I think 30,000 gold members is a bit over the top.

I mean that fraction of the ground only holds that many, if that.

As likely as it is many gold members simply have that status because they don't want to give it up (fair), it still seems like a huge amount.

Then again it seems to operate okay. I guess a lot are interstate, overseas, or uninterested and really only hold onto it as a 'why not?' thing and in case they ever want to see their team in a Grand Final. Many have probably been to a couple of Grand Finals as a neutral and ultimately how long can you keep doing that for? I think most people would rather settle in at home, at a pub, or at a barbecue.

In a weird way it's probably harder for the average person to attend this via AFL Membership than it is a Grand Final. I think I've had the chance to attend at least three or so since 2013, maybe more, which is a lot to do with all of them (?) featuring one non-Vic team, and a lot of Swans fans probably having seen a flag before.

Good game and neutral intrigue aside, I hope it's a Crows v Giants Granny and we see how the AFL Members allocation goes then. I reckon we'll keep getting emails until the day before. If this happened do you think even absentee members could be offered a ticket on the Thursday or Friday?

This is not really how it works. The number of people promoted from Silver to Gold depends on the number of existing Gold members not renewing, the Gold figure has been capped at approx 30K for a long time. There is no set amount let in each year, that is why they don't give out official figures on how long it will take you to reach Gold, because they don't know. I remember quite a few years when I was on the list there was only approx 1K getting promoted but then a few years later it was a bit over 2K for a few years. You're movement up the list also depends on how many other Silver members drop off.

I knew it was based on how many people drop each year, however also heard that the Bay has been reducing as they let other groups in as well. So instead of letting 2k in as Gold they might let 1k in as Gold and let another 1k in as 'Corporate' or such with a higher paying ticket. Last year I believe only about 700 odd people advanced to Gold. How many dropped? Maybe more, maybe less.... as you said, the AFL don't release those numbers.

• There aren't enough tickets to meet your request right now. Please try a different ticket category or type, with a reduced quantity of tickets.
    If you receive this message even when selecting only one ticket, all remaining tickets are being transacted by other customers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footyfan78 yeah, i was on the allocation has been exhausted page 15 seconds in.... so 2:00:15

****, it pisses me off if you are a AFL Member with Richmond Club Support and have not been able to get a ticket. Please tell me you are still going some way.
If I miss not end of world but all Geelong and Tiger AFL members should be going given there would be no more than 6,000 of you for AFL area at MCG.

****, it pisses me off if you are a AFL Member with Richmond Club Support and have not been able to get a ticket. Please tell me you are still going some way.
If I miss not end of world but all Geelong and Tiger AFL members should be going given there would be no more than 6,000 of you for AFL area at MCG.

Yep i will be there,
I told the AFL Membership complaints team (when i told them about some 10x markup tickets) that i will buy off eBay and 5x markup.
They did say you can call them, tell them you want to log a complaint, tell them you are a club member and they will do there best to get you a ticket.
That is what they told me when i called.
I am not a AFL Member only club, but give it a shot, like right now!!
1300 722 515

This is an AFL Membership thread so naturally you would expect to get some as an AFL Member there for AFL member section if someone said they were tickets for there being sold again from 2pm.

And what would you like me to do about it? It's not my fault they keep ****ing it up, just letting those who missed out know there are still tickets available in the general public

I knew it was based on how many people drop each year, however also heard that the Bay has been reducing as they let other groups in as well. So instead of letting 2k in as Gold they might let 1k in as Gold and let another 1k in as 'Corporate' or such with a higher paying ticket. Last year I believe only about 700 odd people advanced to Gold. How many dropped? Maybe more, maybe less.... as you said, the AFL don't release those numbers.
I seriously doubt that happens.
You may be getting it mixed up with the number of GF tickets made available to AFL members which is an ongoing issue where they are suspected to be sneaking other groups into the reserve on GF day at the expense of AFL members.

I tried that at 2pm and 30 seconds and couldn't get any and kept trying for a while after that.
I think it was very limited, not heaps.

I think we might be getting mixed up, I'm talking about the public reserve as its allocation exhausted in the AFL reserve. There are still some now, most bays you can buy up to 8 tickets

I think we might be getting mixed up, I'm talking about the public reserve as its allocation exhausted in the AFL reserve. There are still some now, most bays you can buy up to 8 tickets
I was trying the public reserve. It may say you can buy up to 8 tickets when you hover over the map but if you try and actually buy one you can't. Just tried again and no cigar. What happens is that people select seats and are in the process of entering their details, payment etc but the seats still show as available on the map because the transaction hasn't been completed yet.

I was trying the public reserve. It may say you can buy up to 8 tickets when you hover over the map but if you try and actually buy one you can't. Just tried again and no cigar. What happens is that people select seats and are in the process of entering their details, payment etc but the seats still show as available on the map because the transaction hasn't been completed yet.

Yeah I got one right on the dot of 2pm (general public), but then out of interest tried again a few minutes later and none available. Definitely very few available, as you would expect.

If it's raining on Friday you should be able to pick up some tickets at the gate. I know my wife won't want to go as we are sitting in 2A and most likely won't get rain cover. I would prob end up trying to offload them outside the ground then going home.

If it's raining on Friday you should be able to pick up some tickets at the gate. I know my wife won't want to go as we are sitting in 2A and most likely won't get rain cover. I would prob end up trying to offload them outside the ground then going home.
Rain should have passed by 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back