AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness I saw the post in the OP and found it very, very hard to debate any of the selections, which means itā€™s probably on the money.

Black/Swan mentioned above is definitely line ball, would probably go Simon on longevity of his peak myself but itā€™s splitting hairs picking between the two.

CHANGES AT END OF SEASON 2022:
IN: STEWART
OUT: MCGOVERN

FB:C.ENRIGHT (GEEL)M.SCARLETT (GEEL)T.STEWART* (GEEL)
HB:A.MCLEOD (ADEL)A.RANCE (RICH)L.HODGE (HAW) (vc)
C:N.BUCKLEY (COLL)M.VOSS (BRIS) (c)B.COUSINS (WC/RICH)
HF:P.DANGERFIELD* (ADEL/GEEL)N.RIEWOLDT (STK)D.MARTIN* (RICH)
FF:L.FRANKLIN* (HAW/SYD)M.LLOYD (ESS)J.AKERMANIS (BRIS/WB)
RR:M.GAWN* (MELB)C.JUDD (WC/CARL)G.ABLETT* (GEEL/GC)
INT:A.GOODES (SYD)N.FYFE* (FREM)S.PENDLEBURY* (COLL) - D.SWAN (COLL)
COACH:ALASTAIR CLARKSON (HAW)

I can't see anyone else from current crop of players breaking in for a few more years yet now.
One glaring omission IMO, Joel Selwood, and that is not out of sentimentality. I'd swap him in for Dane Swan or Pendelbury. A reminder of what he has achieved this century:

One glaring omission IMO, Joel Selwood, and that is not out of sentimentality. I'd swap him in for Dane Swan or Pendelbury. A reminder of what he has achieved this century:

An exceptional CV and probably my next in line. But you should compare to that of pendlebury and swan who did not play in as amazing a side

I think Selwood has Swan easily covered.

Ben Cousins as well.

And probably Hodge.

The Geelong bias among you both is alive and well!! I already have 5 players almost a quarter of the team is that not enough :p

Swan is a coaches', players' and umpires' mvp. selwood never any of them. i think the biggest difference here is the team they played for.

Hodge and cousins are both in positions that selwood could not play.

The Geelong bias among you both is alive and well!! I already have 5 players almost a quarter of the team is that not enough :p

Swan is a coaches', players' and umpires' mvp. selwood never any of them. i think the biggest difference here is the team they played for.

Their respective records are world's apart.

Selwood every day of the week.

You just have this one wrong.

There is no shame in admitting it and making the change.

I think Selwood has Swan easily covered.
Selwood 6xAA to Swan's 5AA.

Both won 3xB&F.

Swan Brownlow, Selwood no Brownlow.

Swan winner of the AFLCA, Selwood never won it.

Swan winner of Leigh Matthews award, Selwood never won it.

Swan won a B&F in a premiership year, Selwood never did.

Far from cut and dried.

Selwood's career transcends his footballing deeds, but as a pure footballer I've seen heaps better.

Selwood 6xAA to Swan's 5AA.

Both won 3xB&F.

Swan Brownlow, Selwood no Brownlow.

Swan winner of the AFLCA, Selwood never won it.

Swan winner of Leigh Matthews award, Selwood never won it.

Swan won a B&F in a premiership year, Selwood never did.

Far from cut and dried.

Selwood's career transcends his footballing deeds, but as a pure footballer I've seen heaps better.
You have to compare their whole careers. Not just cherry pick a few things.

Selwood has Swan well covered.

You have to compare their whole careers. Not just cherry pick a few things.

Selwood has Swan well covered.
5AA, 3 B&Fs, Brownlow, AFLCA, Leigh Matthews award (3 of which Selwood never won) is hardly cherry picking.

I could have added that Swan averaged more disposals, more marks and many more goals.

Swan played over 250 games, so a very good sample size.

I reiterate, I've seen many better midfielders than Selwood.

Judd, Ablett Jnr, Voss, Buckley, Pendlebury, Black, Mitchell and Cousins are all clearly better players than Joel Selwood IMO.

When you are talking inspirational leaders though I would only have Voss and Hodge in front of Selwood in that regard.

The amount of cats players is basically in line with how much weā€™ve succeeded this century.

I think selwood is line ball with hodge.

Cousins couldnt play it either.

team is missing a genuine wingman. Akermanis to wing. Alermanis does not deserve a foward pocket spot. He didnt kick much goals. Put in an actual medium/small foward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of those acolades show he was in a good club, not that he was one of the best players in the comp.

Cousins couldnt play it either.

team is missing a genuine wingman. Akermanis to wing. Alermanis does not deserve a foward pocket spot. He didnt kick much goals. Put in an actual medium/small foward.

This

Johnson had nearly identical possession figures to Aker with the added bonus that he kicked way more goals.

No way should Aker be in a forward pocket and Johnson not

What are the rules about players whose careers crossed over the year 2000.

Because I reckon if you were comparing bodies of work in the 21st Century, the likes of Cousins, Buckley, McLeod, etc. are out in favour of Black, Selwood, etc.

Most of those acolades show he was in a good club, not that he was one of the best players in the comp.
Well I've learnt something today. If you excel in a good club you get marked down as an individual because you could not possibly have performed at the same level elsewhere. From his first game at a club that wasn't tipped to make the 8 in 2007 Selwood showed he had it all, but you know better. When Selwood willed Geelong over the line in games where they didn't deserve to win, we shouldn't give Joel credit.

Between 2009 and 2014 he was consistently rated in the top 10 AFL players

Joel is great but unfortunately he lacks the individual awards to be included. 6 AAs is great but he doesnā€™t have a Brownlow, MVP, norm smith, coaches award or Gary Ayers award.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Joel is great but unfortunately he lacks the individual awards to be included. 6 AAs is great but he doesnā€™t have a Brownlow, MVP, norm smith, coaches award or Gary Ayers award.

They let you back inšŸ˜©

So tell me what awards do Max Gawn, Nick Riewoldt, and Corey Enright have?

Last edited:
This

Johnson had nearly identical possession figures to Aker with the added bonus that he kicked way more goals.

No way should Aker be in a forward pocket and Johnson not

Forward pocket, I thought he played HF? Iā€™d put him in HF instead of Danger. Danger is a better player but there too many better inside mids which push him out of the team and he isnā€™t great at goal kicking so imo canā€™t be a HF.

Forward pocket, I thought he played HF? Iā€™d put him in HF instead of Danger. Danger is a better player but there too many better inside mids which push him out of the team and he isnā€™t great at goal kicking so imo canā€™t be a HF.

But Dangerfield has won a Brownlow, Gary Ayres Medal AFL, Leigh Matthews Medal, and is also the 3rd highest Brownlow vote getter in the history of the game. You are so inconsistent. Make up your mind about the selection criteria

But Dangerfield has won a Brownlow, Gary Ayres Medal AFL, Leigh Matthews Medal, and is also the 3rd highest Brownlow vote getter in the history of the game. You are so inconsistent. Make up your mind about the selection criteria

I explained it in the comment. Too many better mids push him out and heā€™s not damaging enough to be a HF. Yes he is better than Johnson but a team has limited positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back