AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends.

If Neale won another Brownlow in the same manner he won this year's - not considered good enough for AA, beaten in his club best and fairest - I still wouldn't put him ahead of Pendlebury.

If he dominated the year, was clearly the best player, and smashed open a finals series which resulted in a Brisbane flag, then that would be a different story.

Not all Brownlow years are the same.

I think the pure weight of awards will make people think otherwise. I don’t even think most people would want to look at each year individually as the record would be that impressive.

Do most people think Dusty is the best finals player of the modern era because of his 3 norm smiths and Gary Ayers awards? Yes, hardly anybody can be bothered looking into it further. It would be a waste of time as he is obviously the best.

Awards are little summaries of the players performances during the season. You can scrutinise all you want but that’s what the books will say and what most people will believe.

I think the pure weight of awards will make people think otherwise. I don’t even think most people would want to look at each year individually as the record would be that impressive.

Do most people think Dusty is the best finals player of the modern era because of his 3 norm smiths and Gary Ayers awards? Yes, hardly anybody can be bothered looking into it further. It would be a waste of time as he is obviously the best.

Awards are little summaries of the players performances during the season. You can scrutinise all you want but that’s what the books will say and what most people will believe.
Yet despite the awards almost everyone would take Pendlebury over Neale, even if Neale has another strong season in 2025.

It's fine to have a different opinion but you're in the minority.

Just letting someone say Gulden to get your endorphin release.

"Gulden". There you go mate. ;)

I wasn't actually thinking that. I was more thinking that we have a few older players in the discussion right now, but none under 25 because of the lack of longer term evidence.

My imagination is pretty poor I guess as I can't think of a single player under 25 who I can point to and think "I bet they will be in the 21st team of the century in 5 years time"

In their prime, Naicos is pretty much a lock

Larkey and JHF are smokies

Ashcroft and Harley Reid have the most potential but the biggest question marks after that.

I think Larkey is good but no way is he pushing out one of N.Reiwoldt, Lloyd or Buddy.

JHF has not even got an AA yet so it is way way too early to be saying that. Feels like a Kelly from GWS, everyone raves about him but he never quite becomes the player people were hoping for.

I wasn't actually thinking that. I was more thinking that we have a few older players in the discussion right now, but none under 25 because of the lack of longer term evidence.

My imagination is pretty poor I guess as I can't think of a single player under 25 who I can point to and think "I bet they will be in the 21st team of the century in 5 years time"
N.Daicos?

Player careers are likely going to be very long. A 24 year old might be breaking into the team in 12 years time, not 5. But yes it'll be tough to move ahead of these names regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Larkey is good but no way is he pushing out one of N.Reiwoldt, Lloyd or Buddy.

JHF has not even got an AA yet so it is way way too early to be saying that. Feels like a Kelly from GWS, everyone raves about him but he never quite becomes the player people were hoping for.

Fair but Idk man those two look like men playing against boys sometimes.

I wonder which players who are currently under 25 will be in contention for this team in a few years time.
Realistically to push into the team you will need to be racking up 250+ games and multiple AAs (probably minimum 3/4). If a midfielder you probably need multiple major awards (Coaches/Brownlow/MVP) and if a key forward multiple Colemans as well.

If they are say 24 and havent started picking these things up (or going close for key forwards), realistically they wont make it (without being an incredible late blooming player). Ignoring the 1st/2nd year guys as its probably still too early how many players have started to do that?

Few who might be possible so far: Naicos, Walsh, Serong, Rozee and Butters might be already on track. Tom Green and Sam Taylor havent yet got the awards but might be possible. King/King/Larkey maybe showing signs

Edit: forgot about Serong (not unusual for someone to forget him) but he also is starting to rack up the recognition he'd need.

Last edited:
Realistically to push into the team you will need to be racking up 250+ games and multiple AAs (probably minimum 3/4). If a midfielder you probably need multiple major awards (Coaches/Brownlow/MVP) and if a key forward multiple Colemans as well.

If they are say 24 and havent started picking these things up (or going close for key forwards), realistically they wont make it (without being an incredible late blooming player). Ignoring the 1st/2nd year guys as its probably still too early how many players have started to do that?

Few who might be possible so far: Naicos, Walsh, Serong, Rozee and Butters might be already on track. Tom Green and Sam Taylor havent yet got the awards but might be possible. King/King/Larkey maybe showing signs

Edit: forgot about Serong (not unusual for someone to forget him) but he also is starting to rack up the recognition he'd need.

^This is why Pendles shouldn’t be in the team. He doesn’t have multiple major awards.

^This is why Pendles shouldn’t be in the team. He doesn’t have multiple major awards.
If Pendles is excluded on the awards basis (which is a crock, but let's just run with it), so too is Martin.

Martin only ever had one season where he performed as the best player in the competition as adjudged by the key awards, which is the same as Pendlebury (despite his Coaches Award year not even being his best season).

If Pendles is excluded on the awards basis (which is a crock, but let's just run with it), so too is Martin.

Martin only ever had one season where he performed as the best player in the competition as adjudged by the key awards, which is the same as Pendlebury (despite his Coaches Award year not even being his best season).

No Pendlebury was never adjudged the best player of the season by the key awards.

You need to win 2 out of 3 of the big awards (Brownlow, MVP, Coaches). He only won 1 (coaches award) in 2013. GAJ won the Brownlow and MVP in 2013 so he was the best player that year. Unless you argue Pendlebury was better than GAJ in 2013, which I very much doubt.

I love these rules whereby someone could quite literally be runner up in the Brownlow 15 years running but couldn’t make Falcon’s team, but Matt Priddis could

No he couldn’t he never won 2/3 either. Are you suffering from psychosis?

And it’s not my fault Priddis outpolled Ablett in 2014. Blame Ablett’s weak ass shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back