AFL to mediate on Warnock deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Priority picks recieved from out of contract players who are picked up by the GC are based on salary and standing within the clubs B&F. Should Freo pick him up for a wad of cash in the PSD this year and he plays to his ability he could be worth a top 5 compensation pick if Freo release him to the GC club in a year. Is this not the case? and it would effectively mean fremantle are buying a top 5 pick for 600K..

I just can't see the point of mediation? What are they going to say......

Sorry you have to take Carlton's deal of pick 24 because its fair?

If this was to happen then there would be court action.

If Carlton want him badly enough then they will have to deal to get the pick Freo require. This whole its the club of his choice crap is a crock as well. If Melbourne can match Carlton's salary there should be no issue at all.

What about the draftees, do they get a choice where they want to play?

Yep same with Judd last year.

Carlton pretty much said take what we can offer or Richmond can have him for nothing.

Unfortunately for the Blues they are the ones on the other side this year.
Actually Carlton are on the same side as last year. Take what we can offer or lose him in the PSD.

The big problem here is that Freo don't really want a fringe player or later draft pick sweetner, they want a pick before the Eagles. Carlton have no way of getting that for them anyway.

The only way Freo will get what they want here (Pick 17-19) is if Warnock has a change of heart. Given that Warnock will be sweating on Freo caving in late and taking pick 24, he is unlikely to have a change of heart until after the deadline anyway.

At least then Melbourne get him for nothing and keep their picks so they won't be disappointed he didn't agree to come.

If you sign up to play AFL, you don't get to chose where you get to play. No court would step in and stop this, they would have no grounds to. You get to chose how much you get paid at least, so there is no restraint to your earnings (other than the salary cap, but that is not a personal restraint).

The draft is a restraint of trade and would be viewed that way by a court.
AFL would argue theres state leagues a person can play in but this has little merit, they've probably came up with some sub-contracting arrangement but it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.
Players are not free to sign a contract to play with the club of their choice, Warnock has negotiated a good contract with Carlton but is not free to move there - instead is forced to negotiate terms with whoever takes him. This is a restraint and its difficult to see any arguments why it is not, money is not the only factor in a person entering into a contract with an employer so allowing a player to set a salary level would not change how it would be viewed.

We gave you a reasonable offer. Why do you think we have to give a MORE than reasonable offer just because Warnock got one? If we pay Warnock more than he is worth, he can repay us with loyalty and performance. If we give Freo more than he is worth, it helps us how?

Look around you. There are supporters of all clubs saying that 24 is a good offer. Apparently representatives from other clubs have said that 24 is a good offer. Freo just want to squeeze out the best possible deal but that doesn't mean they should get absolute top dollar for Warnock.

Trading is a 2 way street. You need to PROPERLY compensate a club for a player just as you properly compensate that player as you have offered. I know its hard to understand that there are other teams in the league but that is the case.

I am looking and I see people saying 24 is not enough as well so its 6 of one half dozen of another but I dont see 100% of people saying it is enough. If I did, I may think differently of the offer. Freo have been the butt of jokes when it comes to trading for years and Freo people know that Warnock will be a good player. He has all the tools, it is just unfortunate that he was so lanky when he started and would always take a few years to develop and he was also behind Sandilands who now is realising his potential. So if we give up Warnock for just 24 and he becomes AA or close to it, how ****ed over again does that look. Its not going to happen anymore.

It was just reported on Sky news that Carlton have offered pick 24 and a young WA player and Freo have knocked it back and want pick 6.

If that player is Browne we should jump on it.

I imagine if true then it is Benjamin....won't be Browne.

Pick 6 :D:D:D:D, no wonder the AFL want a mediator. Pick 6 is just absurd, makes your negotiators look silly to be honest. We were honest and up front form the start and put forward close enough to the best offer we were prepared to.

It was just reported on Sky news that Carlton have offered pick 24 and a young WA player and Freo have knocked it back and want pick 6.

It wont be Browne. It will be someone they were gonna delist like Benjamin.

We gave you a reasonable offer. Why do you think we have to give a MORE than reasonable offer just because Warnock got one? If we pay Warnock more than he is worth, he can repay us with loyalty and performance. If we give Freo more than he is worth, it helps us how?

Look around you. There are supporters of all clubs saying that 24 is a good offer. Apparently representatives from other clubs have said that 24 is a good offer. Freo just want to squeeze out the best possible deal but that doesn't mean they should get absolute top dollar for Warnock.
There are also supporters of all clubs saying pick 24 is under the odds. In fact, I would say there are more saying you should be paying more.

I have not seen any comments from other clubs, where did you get those from?

There are also supporters of all clubs saying pick 24 is under the odds. In fact, I would say there are more saying you should be paying more.

I have not seen any comments from other clubs, where did you get those from?

I heard Steven Icke on 6pr last night.

He mentioned that they floated the pick 24 to Freo for Warnock to all the other clubs to see whether it was fair.

He said (so you have to take him at his word) to a man they all thought it was fair!

The draft is a restraint of trade and would be viewed that way by a court.
AFL would argue theres state leagues a person can play in but this has little merit, they've probably came up with some sub-contracting arrangement but it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.
Players are not free to sign a contract to play with the club of their choice, Warnock has negotiated a good contract with Carlton but is not free to move there - instead is forced to negotiate terms with whoever takes him. This is a restraint and its difficult to see any arguments why it is not, money is not the only factor in a person entering into a contract with an employer so allowing a player to set a salary level would not change how it would be viewed.
If he wants to make 350kpa he can go in the PSD and put that price on his head, so yes, he can make it elsewhere if he wants. He does not have to negotiate terms with whoever takes him, he can nominate his terms and conditions. There have been so many discussions on this before and it always comes out that there are enough escapes, enough of a need for trading to maintain balance in the AFL and there is limited restraint on a players individual ability to earn $, so it would be allowed by the courts. Sure, there is a restraint on the trading of players between clubs, but no restraint on their ability to earn.

If this was a real issue, don't you think it would be commented on more by some legal eagles?

Are they interfering on any other deal?

Maybe they should get involved in the West Coast Richmond deal.

West Coast value him at pick 8, we value him at pick 42.....

Nope no sign of the AFL. :rolleyes:

I will see what the outcome of this interference is before passing judgment.

A mediator is available to all AFL clubs. The clubs can request it if they feel the deal is at a point where it needs help. IE: clubs cant agree on a suitable trade that pleases both parties......and the player is adamant that he wants to go there.

This is not new and it doesnt favour the blues at all, because as i said its available to all clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine if true then it is Benjamin....won't be Browne.

Pick 6 :D:D:D:D, no wonder the AFL want a mediator. Pick 6 is just absurd, makes your negotiators look silly to be honest. We were honest and up front form the start and put forward close enough to the best offer we were prepared to.

Yeah, while I believe Warnock will be a gun, no way will carlton part with pick 6. Is only wednesday so still plenty of time to find some middle ground and hammer out a deal.

Benjamin.........ermmm.....no thanks.

At the end of the day Warnock has Fremantle over a barrell... he's uncontracted and wants out. I hope like hell Freo stuff this one up and he ends up going to Carlton for free in the PSD.

He mentioned that they floated the pick 24 to Freo for Warnock to all the other clubs to see whether it was fair.

He said (so you have to take him at his word) to a man they all thought it was fair!

Just one problem....

The club that you need to deal with doesn't think it's fair. It doesn't matter what other clubs think they aren't involved and as if they would really give it much thought anyway.

Imagine this.... Icke: Hey Rocket do you think 24 for Warnock is fair?

Rocket: Yeah mate sounds ok.

Rocket to one of his assitants: Why do they think I give a **** what they trade for Warnock?!?!? They can ****ing trade Judd, Fevola and pick 6 for all I care.

He would look like a dildo if he said said , on radio, it wasnt fair and Freo deserve more now wouldnt he??? Utter BS, otherwise Connolly wouldnt be offering 17.

More media *******.

Browne was drafted at pick 36 in last years draft. Therefore he cannot be traded.

At the end of the day Warnock has Fremantle over a barrell... he's uncontracted and wants out. I hope like hell Freo stuff this one up and he ends up going to Carlton for free in the PSD.[/QUOTE]

nice **** eh?? Hope a truck drives through your front window

Yep same with Judd last year.

Carlton pretty much said take what we can offer or Richmond can have him for nothing.

Unfortunately for the Blues they are the ones on the other side this year.

Difference is we cant really lose. I think he is a terrific prospect, but nothing more than that. Clearly he is not worth pick 6, surely even the most ardent Dockers fan would agree with that.

If we dont end up getting him, and Melbourne do, we still have our pick 6 and 24 to add to our group of kids already showing plenty of potential.

Unfortunately, the real loser in this situation could be young Warnock.

Freo should forget pick 6. If they were losing Sandilands maybe, but Warnock might still turn out a dud. Pick 24 and Pick 40 for Warnock and Pick 53 is the fairest deal I can think of. Not sure if Bower or Blackwell can play, but Benjamin reminds me too much of Oakley-Nicholls.

If he puts a 1yr $600k deal on his head - Freo aren't going to recruit him

It is a very poor bluff - everyone knows it - Steven Icke said so last night on the radio.

There's never been a case of a team re-recruiting a player that doesn't want to be there. Especially one with an expensive one year deal that would walk the following year

How do you know it's a bluff? I guess that's something Warnock and his management will have to work out and decide if it's a risk they are willing to take. My understanding with nominating a price is that it must be done for a minimum of a 2 year period (precisely to prevent players doing as you suggest Warnock does). If he does nominate and ends up at Freo, we've got control for the next 2 years. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL to mediate on Warnock deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back