News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess such different views amongst the clubs causes it to be a bit difficult. I wouldny mind if they introduce the full new rules next year, but at least adjust the curve this year, and / or limit selections to 3 picks.

Yep and if they have to give a compensation pick to Richmond this year as lets be real they are the only club that it's affecting through prior trades/pick swaps. Give them and end of third comp.

Richmond loaded up on 3rd and 4th round picks that are now going to be worthless. I'm going to assume they traded for those picks expecting them to retain their value and allow them to trade up the order this year.

And of course the argument against last minute changes are coming from those who stand to be disadvantaged. Just as the arguments for the changes are coming from those who will be better off if they're brought in this year.
Richmond did load up, but I'm not convinced how planned this was. In any case, it seems their most likely trading partner is Brisbane, which should still be the case (depending on the new rules).

But Carlton didn't make any moves. They are using this argument solely to benefit themselves.

If the AFL come up with a better system, why delay it? As long as the change is made before the end of the season, clubs will have time to adjust. The minor inconvenience for a couple of clubs of having to pay a fairer price is surely outweighed by the benefit of cleaning up a rort.
Get it done ASAP.

We don't want yet another draft of more top draftees being picked up by finals clubs for bags of junk picks, which is what we've had every draft for the last few years - JUH, Daicos, Ashcroft, Darcy at the very pointy end of the draft, plenty of others not much further out than them as well.

None of the clubs picking up top draftees this draft are going to be hugely disadvantaged or not be able to get it done. It's just squealing of self interest by the lucky clubs.

Last time I looked Brisbane, Carlton and Gold Coast are all in a position to pick up their players without any drama.

Fix the draft points scale, remove the discount at a minimum THIS draft.

Vicbias, most of the FA player movement is within Vic or players going home to Vic
It’s not vicbias just make your club not shit so players want to stay or manage your funds enough so you can match the dollars they get offered

Remembering that free agency is only after eight years. They aren’t homesick teenagers anymore it’s players that have bought in and stayed

If Gold Coast hadn’t been a basket case his whole career I imagine it would have been near impossible to pry Tom Lynch out

Yep and if they have to give a compensation pick to Richmond this year as let’s be real they are the only club that it's affecting through prior trades/pick swaps. Give them and end of third comp.
Our traded in picks at the current points value is around pick 25 from memory

I’d have no issue with them making the changes immediately if we received a pick of equal value to the picks we traded in

But Carlton didn't make any moves. They are using this argument solely to benefit themselves.

Carlton made at least 2 moves off the top of my head involving 2024 draft picks.

If the AFL come up with a better system, why delay it?

For every reason already explained. I don’t think we need to go over it again.

Our traded in picks at the current points value is around pick 25 from memory

I’d have no issue with them making the changes immediately if we received a pick of equal value to the picks we traded in

No issue with you guys getting a pick valued at pick 30 or whatever it's worth. That seems the common sense fair solution so watch the AFL make this harder than it should be

No issue with you guys getting a pick valued at pick 30 or whatever it's worth. That seems the common sense fair solution so watch the AFL make this harder than it should be
Yeah I just can’t see the AFL giving us the pick because that would be too much evidence that they’re doing all of this on the fly

Far more likely (if they do rush through changes that effect our picks) that they just shaft us

It’s why I hope our club is going beserk about any suggested changes for this year

Yeah I just can’t see the AFL giving us the pick because that would be too much evidence that they’re doing all of this on the fly

Far more likely (if they do rush through changes that effect our picks) that they just shaft us

It’s why I hope our club is going beserk about any suggested changes for this year

If it's a mid 2nd round comp pick surely no one will care TOO much about this mind you I just expect Kane and her puppets making the worst solution out of the lot. Honestly it isn't hard. Fix the curve, give the clubs affected comp picks as compensation which is only you guys, maybe Carlton did not sure on that end, whatever they are worth.

That's literally all you need to do, no need to worry about how many picks whatever. Fixing the curve is 95% of the problem

How many draft picks would Richmond use this year, ignoring possible traded out players like Baker.
Why not just take your picks to the draft, it is supposed to be deep this year.

Carlton made at least 2 moves off the top of my head involving 2024 draft picks.

For every reason already explained. I don’t think we need to go over it again.
Carlton's moves slightly weakened their draft hand, they didn't load up on picks to pay for their f/s. You just want to kick it down the road for another year.

Can you give an example of a club whose planning would be significantly affected and how?

This argument seems to come mostly from self-interested Carlton fans. Whilst your club may be disadvantaged by some changes, they have seemingly done little to prepare for the Camporeale twins, so the argument doesn't seem relevant to them.
Richmond

Carlton's moves slightly weakened their draft hand, they didn't load up on picks to pay for their f/s. You just want to kick it down the road for another year.

Exactly what I thought they did, so it's only Richmond. Give them a mid 2nd round comp pick if need be and we are done every team isn't affected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet they will still get an advantage by matching 2 players who are a lot earlier than their picks.

I don’t get all the tears. System was a rort, even with the rumoured changes these teams will get an advantage.

Carlton's moves slightly weakened their draft hand, they didn't load up on picks to pay for their f/s.

I didn’t say they loaded up. I said they made moves with F/S decisions on the horizon.

Carlton holds 3 4th round picks, all of which were traded in.

To say they didn’t make any moves, and then try double down on that, is a bit silly.

You just want to kick it down the road for another year.

No. I’d be fine with changes to this year’s draft, had they been made before the trade period last year.

Just as I’d be fine with changes to next year’s draft, as long as they’re made before the trade period this year.

As I said, many people are able to discuss issues without letting their club of support influence their stance. I’m sorry if you’re not one of them.

Every player on your list costs you cap space. Draftees are costing you cap space, so no need for a draft? That's such a weak argument.

The salary cap is a talent equalisation mechanism. With the idea being teams should roughly have an equal amount of talent if they all have the same amount of money to spend.

So if a team is losing a player they should hypothetically have the money to get an equivalent player in return for that amount of money.

That’s the whole point of the system.

The draft is a different system and is so ridiculously broken by academies/FS selections that it probably shouldn’t exist

How many draft picks would Richmond use this year, ignoring possible traded out players like Baker.
Why not just take your picks to the draft, it is supposed to be deep this year.
We have a lot of picks this year (ten picks that have point values). I imagine at most we make five selections

It was very clear that we traded back last year for a bunch of third and fourth round picks because we projected a bunch of teams wanting to match for players not because we had a burning desire to select seven players from pick 40 onwards

I didn’t say they loaded up. I said they made moves with F/S decisions on the horizon.

Carlton holds 3 4th round picks, all of which were traded in.

To say they didn’t make any moves, and then try double down on that, is a bit silly.
The trades Carlton did last year slightly reduced their ability to match bids on the twins this year. However, they were so minor that they should be irrelevant to this argument.

As I said, many people are able to discuss issues without letting their club of support influence their stance. I’m sorry if you’re not one of them.
What are you on about? My team isn't affected in any way. Yours is, and you are making a nonsense argument that benefits it.
You want the rort to continue, I get it. At least be honest about your motivations.

We have a lot of picks this year (ten picks that have point values). I imagine at most we make five selections

It was very clear that we traded back last year for a bunch of third and fourth round picks because we projected a bunch of teams wanting to match for players not because we had a burning desire to select seven players from pick 40 onwards
Maybe, but it seems an odd draft to do that in. Even if the system stays the same, your most likely team to trade up into the first round with is Brisbane (GC don't need your picks). We haven't seen the new system, but there is a chance you will still be in best position for Brisbane's first rounder.

The trades Carlton did last year slightly reduced their ability to match bids on the twins this year. However, they were so minor that they should be irrelevant to this argument.

They're only irrelevant because you don't want to believe they traded them in for greater flexibility with the F/S in mind.

I dare say most would disagree.

What are you on about? My team isn't affected in any way.

I didn't say they were.

Yours is, and you are making a nonsense argument that benefits it.

Getting the system right at a time where no club is disadvantaged is not a nonsense argument.

You want the rort to continue, I get it. At least be honest about your motivations.

I've already said very plainly otherwise.

If you are going to resort to childish games and deliberately misrepresenting what other people say, might I suggest you bow out of the thread?

After all, your club isn't involved. Therefore, what do you care...right?

They're only irrelevant because you don't want to believe they traded them in for greater flexibility with the F/S in mind.

I dare say most would disagree.
They have reduced their flexibility, not increased it. Carlton would have a stronger position if they didn't trade any future picks. This should be obvious.

After all, your club isn't involved. Therefore, what do you care...right?
Hilarious! You have been claiming my position to be biased by the club I support, whereas you are strangely impartial. Now you are claiming I shouldn't be posting on issues that my club isn't directly affect by. Should this thread be campaigners only?

They have reduced their flexibility, not increased it. Carlton would have a stronger position if they didn't trade any future picks. This should be obvious.

Well then you better get on the phone and tell them that!

I'm going to trust they had the additional flexibility in mind when trading for those picks, rather than simply...we might like 3 prospects in the 4th round.

Each to their own, however.

Hilarious! You have been claiming my position to be biased by the club I support, whereas you are strangely impartial.

Actually, no. I've not mentioned North Melbourne once. Perhaps you misread?

Now you are claiming I shouldn't be posting on issues that my club isn't directly affect by.

And this answers my question. Yes, you misread. Perhaps go over it again before you respond.

Actually, no. I've not mentioned North Melbourne once. Perhaps you misread?

And this answers my question. Yes, you misread. Perhaps go over it again before you respond.

Been over it. I didn't misread. You said my stance was influenced by the club I support (despite my club not having a horse in this race). Here are your words.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back