News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

No it isnt. The Vic media and coaches cried and whinged so much the umpires are very wary of the so called noise of affirmation that for some reason doesnt exist when interstate clubs play big Melbourne teams at the MCG.

At Optus so many frees that are there arent paid as the umpires are being coached to second guess themselves and go out there with a preconcieved notion the crowd is forcing them into decisions.

But that doesnt work both ways does it?

Every time the Eagles play at the MCG against a Vic team they are at a disadvantage. More so against Collingwood as the umpires do get affected just as much with the noise of affirmation that is very real. You can set you clock that it will happen and Ive witnessed it several times.
There's been statistical studies of European soccer crowds and they've found that the home ground advantage dimiishes when there's an athletics track around the stadium, pushing the crowd further back.

Eagles are not as much as at a disadvantage in Melbourne when they're playing a crowd that is less concentrated (ie has empty seats), even if the crowd is roughly the same size, hence the crowd of affirmation. Never mind the the fact that Eagles get bigger home crowds than away crowds, meaning that they net out overall to a HGA. One game against Collingwood doesn't undue the average consistency over a season. Dogs crowd hosting Fremantle was half as big with much more empty seats when travelling to play against Freo in the return fixture. Fremantle got to play away in a stadium they were much more familiar than than a stadium the Dogs were. It nets out to Fremantle having a greater overall home ground advantage in their two games vs. the Dogs.

No it isnt. The Vic media and coaches cried and whinged so much the umpires are very wary of the so called noise of affirmation that for some reason doesnt exist when interstate clubs play big Melbourne teams at the MCG.

At Optus so many frees that are there arent paid as the umpires are being coached to second guess themselves and go out there with a preconcieved notion the crowd is forcing them into decisions.

But that doesnt work both ways does it?

Every time the Eagles play at the MCG against a Vic team they are at a disadvantage. More so against Collingwood as the umpires do get affected just as much with the noise of affirmation that is very real. You can set you clock that it will happen and Ive witnessed it several times.
don't make it sound as if I have the opinion of those people. of course the noise of affirmation exists when an interstate team plays a Victorian team at the mcg. So not sure why you're making it sound like I said that there isn't. there is.

yes everytime the Eagles play at the mcg it's a disadvantage. But everytime you get a home game it's an advantage. Like I said, for a 2nd time now, there is 0 home ground advantage everytime a Victorian club plays another Victorian club at the mcg. no affect on the noise of affirmation. Yes, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Carlton usually get an extra 1-2 goals from the noise of affirmation. That i agree with.

Well the Daveys were very late picks. Why shouldn't Essendon be able to have both when every club has decided they didn't want to bid on them 3 times or so? If you make it that clubs can only take one a year does the other go undrafted?

Nobody in their right mind (apart from Stkilda who seem to using it as a smokescreen to camouflage their real problems) wants to stop father sons. All clubs would like to ensure that the really good ones don't end up being gifted to already good teams. Nick daicos should have cost the pies their first pick both if that year and the next. The teams that allowed him to slip to pick 4 should hang their heads in shame and the system that allowed him to be selected with anything other than first round picks needs to be corrected.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be allowed to take twins as father sons in the same year provided that you have the genuine currency to do it.
I dont think its very likely to have teams bid early on a F/S from a team in the top 8. They are in different premiership windows so not very beneficial to bid, I'm pretty sure this bidding system no matter how you change it will inherently cost lower placed clubs with F/S more.

Anyone who want a semi fair league should want to fk F/S and acadamy off, certain clubs through apparently sheer luck are able to almost field a team with F/S and acadamy players while other clubs might not see any "gifts" in their supporters lifetime. I dont care if a few riewoldt kids might come along, it isnt worth watching Collingwood get a father son every 2 years.

If NGAs go back to unrestricted be can probably just do away with the draft when Tassie enter…. Round 1 is going to go to pick 40
Depends, if they fix the matching and say a pick 2 bid effectively needs 8 and 14, it all comes out quicker and most of the time, the picks dont move out much.

NGA are a farce. Kids being brought in weeks before the draft says it all
Given the higher % of people with one parent born overseas, the nga eligibility would increase over time.
Also free agency compo needs tweaking. St kilda shouldn't be getting pick 5 as compo for Battle, but North did last year so I don't blame them for trying to get pick 5.

Last edited:
I hope the AFL put a stop to teams manipulating contracts and losing average players getting band 1 compo.

Battle to potentially land a top 5 pick for Saint Kilda?

Saints getting Ross to have a massive whinge in the media about equalisation you can see what they are angling for. They want some of that special herbs and spices to give them a leg up this year.

McKay was bad enough.

The AFL is such a dodgy organisation how it manipulates results you can just see it happening again.

don't make it sound as if I have the opinion of those people. of course the noise of affirmation exists when an interstate team plays a Victorian team at the mcg. So not sure why you're making it sound like I said that there isn't. there is.

yes everytime the Eagles play at the mcg it's a disadvantage. But everytime you get a home game it's an advantage. Like I said, for a 2nd time now, there is 0 home ground advantage everytime a Victorian club plays another Victorian club at the mcg. no affect on the noise of affirmation. Yes, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Carlton usually get an extra 1-2 goals from the noise of affirmation. That i agree with.

So an MCG tenant playing a non MCG tenant has no home ground advantage?

Disagree.

And wasn't the start of this conversation about academies from Northern clubs? Not the Eagles and Optus.

The line being peddled that Melbourne FC should have academy access as well. Because being a old Vic club and MCG tenant wasn't much of an advantage.

I hope the AFL put a stop to teams manipulating contracts and losing average players getting band 1 compo.

Battle to potentially land a top 5 pick for Saint Kilda?

Saints getting Ross to have a massive whinge in the media about equalisation you can see what they are angling for. They want some of that special herbs and spices to give them a leg up this year.

McKay was bad enough.

The AFL is such a dodgy organisation how it manipulates results you can just see it happening again.

Wouldn't whatever team that takes him need to be paying in the realm of 900k+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else feel like the changes are coming in this year regardless, and this 'engagement' with the clubs is just for show?

Seems like most people in the industry are talking like it's a fait accompli.

In some form they will be in this year, gut feel says it will be a 2 stage implementation, I don't agree with it but this is the AFL who can't even admit the umpiring is woeful we are talking about. Gut feeling and it's purely what I believe might happen, they will limit when points become 0 (whether it be pick 40 whatever), they will fix the curve this year. Probably leave the NGA, etc this year to be changed in the off season.

I would be happier if they just changed the lot in one go, every club will cry for 2 days and then we can get on with it. Instead our leader in the AFL can't make their mind up and instead lets this drag on. This should have been done in March!

Clubs with something to lose under Academy/FS will surely lobby against it being implemented this year, while those with nothing at stake will want it brought in to weaken opposition drafting and improve access to talent.

You would assume some of Crows, Port, Carlton, Richmond, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS and GC will all want it unchanged for their own various FS/Academy/Pick reasons. That leaves a minimum 10 other clubs who would benefit from changes being brought in this year.

Clubs with something to lose under Academy/FS will surely lobby against it being implemented this year, while those with nothing at stake will want it brought in to weaken opposition drafting and improve access to talent.

You would assume some of Crows, Port, Carlton, Richmond, Brisbane, Sydney, GWS and GC will all want it unchanged for their own various FS/Academy/Pick reasons. That leaves a minimum 10 other clubs who would benefit from changes being brought in this year.

They have to do it sometime, they do nothing we are the same position in March next year, so where does it stop? Honestly if the changes were announced in March this year no one would be caring, but it is so typical of the AFL making things harder than they should be. Blind Freddy knows how to fix it (just change the curve) and yet lets make all these ridiculous rules to complicate the living daylights out of it. It's actually not that hard. Fix the curve, you fix 98% of the issues, if you want to increase the matching for NGA's to pick 30 go for it. It's easy it's simple.

We can't have yet another draft with top 10 players being picked up for a bag of junk picks.

This draft just fix the curve to extinguish picks having any points value by pick 36, ditch the discount completely and most of the other fine tuning can be done in time for next years draft.

Severely tighten the FA compo, Band 1 should only be for the absolute top echelon of players still in their prime, not for has beens like Dusty or soso players like McKay and Battle.

It's very simple, just effing do it AFL!

So an MCG tenant playing a non MCG tenant has no home ground advantage?

Disagree.

And wasn't the start of this conversation about academies from Northern clubs? Not the Eagles and Optus.

The line being peddled that Melbourne FC should have academy access as well. Because being a old Vic club and MCG tenant wasn't much of an advantage.
what part of what I said makes you say "So an MCG tenant playing a non MCG tenant has no home ground advantage?". I literally said when Melbourne play other victorian teams at the mcg there's no advantage. It's literally the 3rd time I've said it.

what part of what I said makes you say "So an MCG tenant playing a non MCG tenant has no home ground advantage?". I literally said when Melbourne play other victorian teams at the mcg there's no advantage. It's literally the 3rd time I've said it.
I mean talk about picking the smallest impact. Sure but that ignores the flip side benefits: experience playing on the GF venue and significantly less travel….

Not sure that comes anywhere close to balancing out….

They have to do it sometime, they do nothing we are the same position in March next year, so where does it stop? Honestly if the changes were announced in March this year no one would be caring, but it is so typical of the AFL making things harder than they should be. Blind Freddy knows how to fix it (just change the curve) and yet lets make all these ridiculous rules to complicate the living daylights out of it. It's actually not that hard. Fix the curve, you fix 98% of the issues, if you want to increase the matching for NGA's to pick 30 go for it. It's easy it's simple.

Isn't it pretty simple? You announce the changes prior to this years trade period to commence at the start of next year / once this years draft period is done.

Isn't it pretty simple? You announce the changes prior to this years trade period to commence at the start of next year / once this years draft period is done.

There’s no reason some if not all changes can be implemented this season. Delays are just that just announce it clubs will get over it in a week

There’s no reason some if not all changes can be implemented this season. Delays are just that just announce it clubs will get over it in a week
Clubs who have already made trades won't get over the value of those trades being changed after the fact (ie changing the points curve for this years draft after the trading that was already done last year).

Other changes can be brought in though, and announce the points curve for 2025 and beyond before this September.

Nah, clubs made decisions last year via future pick trading on the basis of the rules that currently exist. There needs to be an appropriate lead in time, being what I suggested.

I take your word for it. I was at the Sydney v Geelong granny and it was a diff story.
I went to both '17 (v Adelaide) and '19 (GWS). 17 was definitely more tigers support, but sounded like 40 / 60. So noticeable, but not ridiculous. 19 was of course another story.

Nah, clubs made decisions last year via future pick trading on the basis of the rules that currently exist. There needs to be an appropriate lead in time, being what I suggested.

Of course it has nothing to do with getting Ashcroft for 2c in the dollar this year right…

Honestly just change it this year at the very least change the curve that’s 90% of the issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back