News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy has a Ph.D in complaining.

Instead of complaining about Brisbane, maybe St Kilda should try and model itself on us instead of continually trading in C grade fringe players and hiring a coach that plays a brand of football that isn't commercially attractive to the networks. Saints are propped up as much as the Northern clubs to remain financially competitive.

Instead of complaining about Brisbane, maybe St Kilda should try and model itself on us instead of continually trading in C grade fringe players and hiring a coach that plays a brand of football that isn't commercially attractive to the networks. Saints are propped up as much as the Northern clubs to remain financially competitive.
Hard to model against when they dont operate under the same rules as the northern clubs, and clearly they like North and the Dogs arent destination clubs largely due to the size of the clubs. The clubs dont have the opportunity to catch up to a Collingwood or Carlton because those bigger clubs will always get priority in scheduling/fixturing and exposure.

Hard to model against when they dont operate under the same rules as the northern clubs, and clearly they like North and the Dogs arent destination clubs largely due to the size of the clubs. The clubs dont have the opportunity to catch up to a Collingwood or Carlton because those bigger clubs will always get priority in scheduling/fixturing and exposure.

Of course you can.

Step 1: go to the draft for several years and draft well - Saints haven't done this for a long time.
Step 2: trade in A-grade players to complement list - Saints haven't done this for a long time.
Step 3: bring in undervalued perennially injured types and FAs - Saints haven't made it to this step.

The honest answer is that the Saints president is correct. There are too many Melbourne clubs which means it will never be commercially advantageous to the AFL to have the small VFL clubs strong at the same time or for long periods.

Of course you can.

Step 1: go to the draft for several years and draft well - Saints haven't done this for a long time.
Step 2: trade in A-grade players to complement list - Saints haven't done this for a long time.
Step 3: bring in undervalued perennially injured types and FAs - Saints haven't made it to this step.

The honest answer is that the Saints president is correct. There are too many Melbourne clubs which means it will never be commercially advantageous to the AFL to have the small VFL clubs strong at the same time or for long periods.
totally gloss over how step 2 and 3 is harder for the small clubs consistently.

totally gloss over how step 2 and 3 is harder for the small clubs consistently.

Melbourne did it. Won a flag.

Dogs did it. Won a flag.

All on the back of an initial period of quality drafting. St Kilda should try it.

no father sons in those teams?

Lol wait, so now that I've dispelled that myth you're now moving onto an argument that teams can't win flags unless they have a father son on the list.

The Dogs father sons were all high picks and some in the rookie draft for their 2016 flag. Has zero to do with what your president is referring to in his speech, ie top cream of the crop draft picks.

Next question.

Melbourne did it. Won a flag.

Dogs did it. Won a flag.

All on the back of an initial period of quality drafting. St Kilda should try it.
Geez mate, its not like the Dees, Dogs or Saints have asked for a Priority Pick recently.

Lol wait, so now that I've dispelled that myth you're now moving onto an argument that teams can't win flags unless they have a father son on the list.

The Dogs father sons were all high picks and some in the rookie draft for their 2016 flag. Has zero to do with what your president is referring to in his speech, ie top cream of the crop draft picks.

Next question.
what myth did you dispel? what argument was i making to begin with and what argument am i moving to?
what is this thread about?

what myth did you dispel? what argument was i making to begin with and what argument am i moving to?
what is this thread about?

Every reason why st Kilda can’t possibly win a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back