News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Too lenient really.
This would make matching a bid on Ashcroft this year, who lets assume is pick 2, cost 2481 points under the new system.
If you have to limit it to 3 picks used with no discount, that would make picks 16, 19 and 20 be roughly the picks required to match the bid(4 points short).
Would a club trade pick 2 for those 3 picks? probably not, but they at least have to pay up a decent price.
If a club had pick 8, theyd need to find a couple of mid 20s picks to go with it, this also sounds about right, while still being just under the general trade value.

A bid on a guy taken at pick 30 would require 454 points. Picks 46, 47, and 48 would roughly get it done. Alternatively pick 35 +47 would do it. That sounds reasonably fair
Does this sound too lenient to you? It makes it reasonable to the point where its actually worth taking the kids, but also not allowing clubs to rort the system like they do currently.

Brisbane this year would have to use their 2024 1st and 2nd rounders PLUS their F1 and F2 to trade up get enough points to match Ashcroft this year under what I proposed. Then they have no way to match Marshall without trading out players.
Their 3rd pick of the draft would end up being right at the end.
They have to take 3 picks in every draft,, so theyd end up with 2 good picks and 4x 4th/5th round players over 2 drafts

It would cost them 2 drafts worth of picks PLUS a player or 2 to match the 2 players.
I think id be ok with it

Does this sound too lenient to you? It makes it reasonable to the point where its actually worth taking the kids, but also not allowing clubs to rort the system like they do currently.

Brisbane this year would have to use their 2024 1st and 2nd rounders PLUS their F1 and F2 to trade up get enough points to match Ashcroft this year under what I proposed. Then they have no way to match Marshall without trading out players.
Their 3rd pick of the draft would end up being right at the end.
They have to take 3 picks in every draft,, so theyd end up with 2 good picks and 4x 4th/5th round players over 2 drafts

It would cost them 2 drafts worth of picks PLUS a player or 2 to match the 2 players.
I think id be ok with it
Im cartwheeling around Australia if im Brisbane under that proposal too. 2 x pick 18 and 2 x pick 39 for pick 1 is a bargain

I think they should be priced out of ever doing the move. Lets bring some common sense to the table. The team that won the Premiership shouldnt have the ability to get pick 1, regardless of which testicle they came out of

Im cartwheeling around Australia if im Brisbane under that proposal too. 2 x pick 18 and 2 x pick 39 for pick 1 is a bargain

I think they should be priced out of ever doing the move. Lets bring some common sense to the table. The team that won the Premiership shouldnt have the ability to get pick 1, regardless of which testicle they came out of
I had pick 16, 19, 20 as the required picks to match. Theyd have to use their 2 2nd rounders and whatever they can do to find a late teens pick.
Means more than those 4 picks

I had pick 16, 19, 20 as the required picks to match. Theyd have to use their 2 2nd rounders and whatever they can do to find a late teens pick.
Means more than those 4 picks
Still too lenient though. Im saying it should be absolutely impossible as opposed to what you are suggesting

If we offered Richmond picks 16,19,20 for pick 1 what do you think that conversation looks lke?

Still too lenient though. Im saying it should be absolutely impossible as opposed to what you are suggesting

If we offered Richmond picks 16,19,20 for pick 1 what do you think that conversation looks lke?
I was suggesting those picks to match pick 2.
It would cost them basically 2 full drafts and a player worth a 2nd rounder to get Ashcroft at pick 2

I was suggesting those picks to match pick 2.
It would cost them basically 2 full drafts and a player worth a 2nd rounder to get Ashcroft at pick 2

The Tigers aren't bidding on Ashcroft

The Tigers aren't bidding on Ashcroft
You would just take him if you knew you could. Not even a doubt

In any case Levi Ashcroft is in the too late basket so not really topic to deal with

Equality trumps whatever fairytales people want to indulge in when it comes to things like academies/direction of man juice so all decisions should exist to promote equality. That includes the next Levi Ashcroft going to Richmond/WCE/North next year as opposed to Gold Coast

People now finally coming around to the joke that is the academy and F/S picks, something that I've been banging on about for over a decade. People shouldn't have needed Levi Ashcroft to realise how unfair the system is. There has been more than enough players to make people wake up and how the AFL ladder really doesn't mean anything anymore such is the lack of integrity in the competition.

People now finally coming around to the joke that is the academy and F/S picks, something that I've been banging on about for over a decade. People shouldn't have needed Levi Ashcroft to realise how unfair the system is. There has been more than enough players to make people wake up and how the AFL ladder really doesn't mean anything anymore such is the lack of integrity in the competition.
The general public has been saying it since last year. People complained when JUH got drafted and the rules got changed. People complained when Sydney got Heeney and Mills 2 years in a row.

Anybody who paid any attention knew it was a joke for a long time now, its just that this time of year it pops up again every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The general public has been saying it since last year. People complained when JUH got drafted and the rules got changed. People complained when Sydney got Heeney and Mills 2 years in a row.

Anybody who paid any attention knew it was a joke for a long time now, its just that this time of year it pops up again every time.
Last year was insanely too late, as was the absurdly dumb rule change that was made when JUH got drafted which did nothing more then make it less equal then it was before

Most CEOs are just pencil pushing cowards. When asked about inequality Pyke literally said there is nothing he can do about it during the last rounds discussion with the fans.... I think this operates under the same remit

Father sons are a big part of the foundation clubs and heritage of the AFL.
New clubs will build the same, as they have started and when that occurs, hopefully the Academies will be removed!!!
I don’t believe they will, but if the AFL take this part away from teams, will be the day the AFL will destroy its soul.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back