AFL to zone entire Northern Territory to North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually have zero concerns with North being given Northern Territory. I’d have more of an issue if Darwin was stripped from the GC, given all the hard work they’ve put into there.

If Darwin isn't included, the Melbourne NGA zones are simply going to have to be rezoned to compensate.

It's completely unbalanced.

Oh really? What do the Hawks do with their zone?

Please refrain from speaking so confidently about something you clearly know so little about.

Please learn to read, before being so arrogant.

I was referring to the geographical sizes and the return of NGA prospects in those other regional NT zones.

The talent return is reflective of the population across these areas.

OK.

So Sydney has the pick of about 5 million people in NSW for their Northern Academy.

West Coat and Fremantle get entire footballing states with massive percentages of first nations people compared to the east coast for their NGA feeder pools.

Likewise Adelaide and Port.

Every Victorian club gets massive territories aligned with CTL u/18 sides and their talent ID and pathways programs.

And North gets....Docklands and the Melbourne CBD?

It's not a leg up if it's actually rectifying a massive rort.
West Coast and Freo get basically nothing.

Don't lump us in with the NSW/Qld academies please, when your own club got to pick Thomas in the top 10 a few years ago from their own NGA.

West Coast and Freo get basically nothing.

Don't lump us in with the NSW/Qld academies please, when your own club got to pick Thomas in the top 10 a few years ago from their own NGA.

Year on year West Coast and Fremantle have the largest NGA eligible propect list in the comp, the adjustment to a 20+ matching process will see a waterfall of prospects.

West Coast had a nomination list of 32 players last year. North had 1.

Pointing out the 1 in a million, under rules that no longer exist is a strawman argument.

Last edited:
Year on year West Coast and Fremantle have the largest NGA eligible propect list in the comp, the adjustment to a 20+ matching process will see a waterfall of prospects.
And?

Pool won't = shit if all of our best prospects are just picked off by the eastern clubs.

All our NGAs to date have been Cat B rookies.

We haven't 'benefited' from it one iota.

You have a few hundred square kilometers of Melbourne's northern suburbs with a population pool larger than the entirety of Tasmania.

All within the Northern Knights Talent ID region and pathway system.

It's fair to say it's significant.

Hardly significant when it's not producing any NGA talent and the talent NK once produced is nothing like it once was.

Haven't won a flag since 1996.

And?

Pool won't = shit if all of our best prospects are just picked off by the eastern clubs.

All our NGAs to date have been Cat B rookies.

We haven't 'benefited' from it one iota.

*Purely because of the rules in place.

We wouldn't have from Tarryn Thomas either.

Are you saying you wouldn't have selected Lance Collard last year after pitching the AFL for access to him for months?

The rules are about the be altered and West Coast are by far the biggest beneficiary of it.

*Purely because of the rules in place.

We wouldn't have from Tarryn Thomas either.

Are you saying you wouldn't have selected Lance Collard last year after pitching the AFL for access to him for months?

The rules are about the be altered and West Coast are by far the biggest beneficiary of it.
Explain to me how WCE have benefited from it.

Because to date, we haven't, yet your club got to pick TT inside the top 10.

Seems like North have benefited from it more than WCE have.

Hypotheticals are meaningless unless they come to fruition.

Explain to me how WCE have benefited from it.

Because to date, we haven't, yet your club got to pick TT inside the top 10.

Seems like North have benefited from it more than WCE have.

Hypotheticals are meaningless unless they come to fruition.

Then explain to me then what there is to cry about regarding an NT zone?

How many players have been selected as NGA prospects out of the Territory?

Despite the combined might of Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne and Hawthorn running them?

Then xxplain to me then what there is to cry about regarding an NT zone?

How many players have been selected as NGA prospects out of the Territory?
I'm not crying about it, just pulling you up on the point you tried making about WCE and Freo(although Freo have indeed benefited from their NGA before the rules got changed, in the form of Liam Henry).

OK.

So Sydney has the pick of about 5 million people in NSW for their Northern Academy.

West Coat and Fremantle get entire footballing states with massive percentages of first nations people compared to the east coast for their NGA feeder pools.

Likewise Adelaide and Port.

Every Victorian club gets massive territories aligned with CTL u/18 sides and their talent ID and pathways programs.

And North gets....Docklands and the Melbourne CBD?

It's not a leg up if it's actually rectifying a massive rort.

Hardly a massive rort. North have a lot of advantages because they are Victorian.

Other than that though in terms of geography Northern Territory makes much more sense to be associated with Gold Coast or Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You did abandon it, 3 camps in a few years is exactly the arms length investment we are talking about.

Your final point is exactly why people getting hung up on "handouts" is hilarious.

The other NT zones are virtually the same.

I would gladly swap the entirety of the NT for Collingwood's Victorian zone.

Lets see the responses if that was to occur.
I disagree.
  • 3 camps in 21 months (4 players, 8 staff)
  • Barrawarn Program
  • "No More Violence" work
  • Partnership with Dardi Munwurro

Hardly a massive rort. North have a lot of advantages because they are Victorian.

Other than that though in terms of geography Northern Territory makes much more sense to be associated with Gold Coast or Brisbane.

Did you say this pissing yourself laughing?

What are the advantages please that means we get virtually excluded from the same system that all the other 17 clubs currently benefit from?

In fact it needs to be rectified immediately. As under the current rules, we can't have an eligible NGA prospect for another 3 years.

What are the advantages please that means we get virtually excluded from the same system that all the other 17 clubs currently benefit from?

In fact it needs to be rectified immediately. As under the current rules, we won't have an eligible NGA prospect for another 3 years.

If North were in Brisbane then LDU, Larkey and a few others would have fled years ago.

Like JHF?

I don't seem to recall too many retention issues at Sydney. (I wonder why....)

Maybe the Sydney zone should be converted to an NGA for the benefit of the greater competition.

Sydney don't have retention issues because we mostly avoid drafting Vic Metro players and we are a good team. If we were terrible we would lose a lot of players. Melbourne clubs have an advantage there as when a Melbourne club is truly terrible they can focus on drafting entirely local players which greatly lessens the go home factor.

Hardly significant when it's not producing any NGA talent and the talent NK once produced is nothing like it once was.

Haven't won a flag since 1996.
Too right. The zone we’ve got is a stinker and to ask us to give up even part of it is mind boggling. It’s produced Dom Akuei for us and that’s it. Never mind that the Knights in general have been trash for the best part of 30 years.

Too right. The zone we’ve got is a stinker and to ask us to give up even part of it is mind boggling. It’s produced Dom Akuei for us and that’s it. Never mind that the Knights in general have been trash for the best part of 30 years.

How many players have come out as NGA selections out of regional NT since the zones were drawn?

If you look at the map on Nine News Darwin is not included:
View attachment 2036632

View attachment 2036633

Approximate populations for each club at the moment:
Gold Coast (Darwin and Palmerston?) = 126,860
Essendon (West Arnham and Tiwi Islands) = 10,154
Geelong (East Arnhem Land) = 10,011
Hawthorn (Katherine) = 10,829
Melbourne (Alice Springs and Surrounds) = 64,021
Collingwood (Barkly) = 7,239
*Populations from ABS 2023

If it went through North would have circa 100,000 to 150,000 people (depends upon Palmerston in GC zone or not?).
Good call and interesting

But NT is mostly Darwin..not much else.

Last edited:
Sydney don't have retention issues because we mostly avoid drafting Vic Metro players and we are a good team. If we were terrible we would lose a lot of players. Melbourne clubs have an advantage there as when a Melbourne club is truly terrible they can focus on drafting entirely local players which greatly lessens the go home factor.

News to me.

Parker (Langwarrin)
Florent (Parkdale)
Rowbottom (Camberwell)
McInerney (Bundoora)
Jordan (Caulfield)
McLean (Mentone)
Amartey (Beaumaris)

Looks like a proportional demographic treated like any other.

In fact it needs to be rectified immediately. As under the current rules, we can't have an eligible NGA prospect for another 3 years.
North have access to:
  • Melbourne LGA = 177,396 (56% overseas born)
  • Wyndham LGA = 324,087 (48% overseas born)
  • TOTAL = 501,483 people
Collingwood have access to:
  • Boroondara = 174,537 (32% overseas born)
  • Monash = 203,560 (45% overseas born)
  • Yarra = 97,448 (29% overseas born)
  • Part (shared with Hawthorn) Manningham = 64,757 (46% overseas born)
  • Barkly = 7,239 (100% indigenous)
  • TOTAL = 547,541 people
So similar number of people where as:
  • Norths NGA Zones have circa 254,900 NGA eligable.
  • Collingwoods NGA Zones have circa 212,700 NGA eligable.

So if the AFL was to remove the 3 years rule (I can't find any evidence to confirm this exists) North would currently have a slightly bigger pool of potential NGA people than Collingwood.

North have access to:
  • Melbourne LGA = 177,396 (56% overseas born)
  • Wyndham LGA = 324,087 (48% overseas born)
  • TOTAL = 501,483 people
Collingwood have access to:
  • Boroondara = 174,537 (32% overseas born)
  • Monash = 203,560 (45% overseas born)
  • Yarra = 97,448 (29% overseas born)
  • Part (shared with Hawthorn) Manningham = 64,757 (46% overseas born)
  • Barkly = 7,239 (100% indigenous)
  • TOTAL = 547,541 people
So similar number of people where as:
  • Norths NGA Zones have circa 254,900 NGA eligable.
  • Collingwoods NGA Zones have circa 212,700 NGA eligable.

So if the AFL was to remove the 3 years rule (I can't find any evidence to confirm this exists) North would currently have a slightly bigger pool of potential NGA people than Collingwood.

Which Coates Talent League side covers Bourke St and Parliament House and downtown Docklands again?

The 3 year rule is in relation to the fact prospects have to be registered and in your NGA academies by u/16's s to be eligible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back