North to go winless in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, if anyone's qualified to report on the use of vile language, it's Tom Morris.

Haha, thought this myself. I would have thought Morris would skip these kinds of stories. It's crazy really how everyone just moved on.

The media has it out for him.
Yep absolutely. They should also be focusing on all the other coaches who've:

• screamed out audible public swear words as a reaction to umpiring decisions
  • directed homophonic slurs at other players
  • abused junior league umpires who are children volunteering their time
  • punched clean through walls in a coaching box
  • king hit a player during their playing days
  • are clearly incapable of behaving professionally in a workplace, and
  • and have had other egregious examples of being clearly incapable of controlling their temper like a 2 year old having a tantrum

It's frankly shameful the media pick on Clarko so much. What's he done to deserve it?? What about all the other coaches who've done even one or two of the above, like... um... er... Hang on a sec I'm going to need a minute here...

This isn't homophobic, so a different penalty applies.
It was suspended against any conduct unbecoming whatsoever.

The league found Clarkson, 55, guilty of breaching AFL rule 2.3(a), which is conduct unbecoming, and his wholly suspended two-match sanction would be triggered if he breaches that rule again between now and the end of the 2025 season.

North should be relocated. They aren’t viable.

They won't be relocating.

North are debt free and $17 million has been poured into their admin and training base at Arden Street since 2018 which means they have AFL quality training and admin facilities. Added to that they had record membership in 2023 and assets of $19.2 million. If the level of AFL distribution continues to be maintained, and there is no suggestion that it won't be, (especially if a 20th team is added for a new TV and media deal from 2031 onwards) then North Melbourne is certain to be in a solid financial position as their level of assets continues to build, even if they remain close to the bottom of the ladder. This means they'll need less assistance from the AFL, especially if they start to climb the ladder onfield.

The AFL's not running out of money either. In September 2022 the AFL signed a seven year $4.5 billion TV rights deal to run between 2025 and 2031.

The TV rights deal is worth $643 million a season - an upgrade on the $473 million per season under the terms of the current two-year deal that ends after the 2024 season.

So there's going to be an extra $170 million per year in AFL coffers for the next seven years. Approximately $115 million was given out in extra AFL distributions to clubs above the base level in 2023.

There will be even more for a TV deal 2032 and beyond, with the very likely addition of a 20th team and 10 matches each round, instead of the current nine.

North won't be relocating, other than perhaps to play 3-4 home games somewhere once the Tasmanian deal finishes at the end of 2025.

Last edited:
It was suspended against any conduct unbecoming whatsoever.
Escalating penalties and naming Will Powell are both references to homophobic abuse. I'm more than aware of the suspended part of Clarkson's penalties, but the poster I believe was suggesting it should be another penalty on top of that.

They won't be relocating.

North are debt free and $17 million has been poured into theor admin and training base at Arden Street since 2018 which means they have AFL quality training and admin facilities. Added to that they had record membership in 2023 and assets of $19.2 million. If the level of AFL distribution continues to be maintained, and there is no suggestion that it won't be, (especially if a 20th team is added for a new TV and media deal from 2031 onwards) then North Melbourne is certain to be in a solid financial position as their level of assets continues to build, even if they remain close to the bottom of the ladder. This means they'll need less assistance from the AFL, especially if they start to climb the ladder onfield.

The AFL's not running out of money either. In September 2022 the AFL signed a seven year $4.5 billion TV rights deal to run between 2025 and 2031.

The TV rights deal is worth $643 million a season - an upgrade on the $473 million per season under the terms of the current two-year deal that ends after the 2024 season.

So there's going to be an extra $170 million per year in AFL coffers for the next seven years. Approximately $115 million was given out in extra AFL distributions to clubs above the base level in 2023.

There will be even more for a TV deal 2032 and beyond, with the very likely addition of a 20th team and 10 matches each round, instead of the current nine.

North won't be relocating, other than perhaps to play 3-4 home games somewhere once the Tasmanian deal finishes at the end of 2025.
Well said, so perhaps North can finally abandone their perpetual begging bowl.

I believe all the Marvel tenant agreements are up for renewal at the end of 2024. Aside from Eddie a few days ago, not much has been said but its potentially a big deal for Vic footy. IMO Marvel is nice but too big/expensive for the small clubs and too small for the big clubs

Clubs like North/Dogs would prefer to play at Marvel since its so close to their training base but not if its at a massive loss per game. Maybe they will make a deal with Geelong to play all North v Geelong home games in Geelong and get a good cash boost.

Since 1990 these are arguably (and factually) the worst sides in a season, with 1 win a piece. Note 1 of the sides has now folded and 1 of the sides was in their 2nd year at the time.

Currently North’s % is better than Fitzroy and GWS so a win will get them above them... but where will they place? Can Richmond win a second game to avoid joining this group too?

1993 - Sydney 1 win 63.32%
1996 - Fitzroy 1 win 49.47%
2013 - GWS 1 win 50.97%

It's actually worse than that. Much worse.

Any team can have a terrible season or two where the wheels completely fall off (due to massive injuries, list imbalances, spate of retirements, team of kids, etc).

But looking 'longitudinally', these are the worst 5 year periods for a team in the AFL era.

5th - Melbourne 2011-2015
25 wins, 1 draw

4th - Carlton 2002-2006
24 wins, 2 draws

3rd - Brisbane 2014-2018
24 wins

2nd - Gold Coast 2015-2019
23 wins, 1 draw

and the worst team of the AFL era:

1st - Sydney 1990-1994
20 wins, 2 draws.

FWIW: Fitzroy of 1992-1996 had 27 wins.

North from 2020-2024 have so far won just 12 games (1 draw). Let that sink in for a minute. They need to win 8.5 games in the second half of the season just to equal the (comfortably) worst 5 year performance in AFL history - which was from an era with far fewer equalisation measures and a broke, interstate side in an expansion market. They haven't even managed to be half as good as a Fitzroy side that was actively being killed off.

It's genuinely unprecedented how bad they have been for as long as they have.

It's actually worse than that. Much worse.

Any team can have a terrible season or two where the wheels completely fall off (due to massive injuries, list imbalances, spate of retirements, team of kids, etc).

But looking 'longitudinally', these are the worst 5 year periods for a team in the AFL era.

5th - Melbourne 2011-2015
25 wins, 1 draw

4th - Carlton 2002-2006
24 wins, 2 draws

3rd - Brisbane 2014-2018
24 wins

2nd - Gold Coast 2015-2019
23 wins, 1 draw

and the worst team of the AFL era:

1st - Sydney 1990-1994
20 wins, 2 draws.

FWIW: Fitzroy of 1992-1996 had 27 wins.

North from 2020-2024 have so far won just 12 games (1 draw). Let that sink in for a minute. They need to win 8.5 games in the second half of the season just to equal the (comfortably) worst 5 year performance in AFL history - which was from an era with far fewer equalisation measures and a broke, interstate side in an expansion market. They haven't even managed to be half as good as a Fitzroy side that was actively being killed off.

Always good to hand over the Baton of Shitness to a deserving foe in North Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say there were far fewer equalisation measures back then, I'm not sure I agree.

Priority picks at the start of the first round for struggling teams were established parts of the system through most of the periods in question, which undoubtedly helped teams rise off the bottom quicker. But they're extremely hard to get, are loaded with conditions and with one notable exception (Gold Coast in 2019), aren't even high picks.

One of the things that makes it harder for teams at the bottom is the academy and father-son bidding process, where - and I'm not picking on anyone, but I think this is the most stark example - a team like the Bulldogs can play finals in 2019 and get the number one pick, then play a grand final in 2021 and get the second best kid in the draft, the following year the second pick goes to another team that played in a prelim. Three out of four years we had teams play finals jump up to get some of the best kids.

Then throw in free agency, which actively works against teams at the bottom - for all the bleating about compromised drafts, I've read tons of posts in the past 12 months about how Noth Melbourne would have been better with Ben McKay than without him.

I am the first to say our club made some really bad decisions along the way, but name me a poorly-performed club that didn't. But geez there's been some roadblocks in the way, too.

When you say there were far fewer equalisation measures back then, I'm not sure I agree.

Priority picks at the start of the first round for struggling teams were established parts of the system through most of the periods in question, which undoubtedly helped teams rise off the bottom quicker. But they're extremely hard to get, are loaded with conditions and with one notable exception (Gold Coast in 2019), aren't even high picks.

One of the things that makes it harder for teams at the bottom is the academy and father-son bidding process, where - and I'm not picking on anyone, but I think this is the most stark example - a team like the Bulldogs can play finals in 2019 and get the number one pick, then play a grand final in 2021 and get the second best kid in the draft, the following year the second pick goes to another team that played in a prelim. Three out of four years we had teams play finals jump up to get some of the best kids.

Then throw in free agency, which actively works against teams at the bottom - for all the bleating about compromised drafts, I've read tons of posts in the past 12 months about how Noth Melbourne would have been better with Ben McKay than without him.

I am the first to say our club made some really bad decisions along the way, but name me a poorly-performed club that didn't. But geez there's been some roadblocks in the way, too.

I agree with most of that.

If you re-read the bit you quoted, you'll note the "fewer equalisation measures" was specifically in comparison to Sydney of 1990-1994 (i.e. the worst in AFL history until now).

That team existed shortly after the introduction of the draft, before which they were allotted a terrible zone. That team was completely broke in an era before the soft cap or any significant financial redistribution. It existed in a new market with terrible crowds and animosity towards AFL in general. It existed before any cost of living allowance and they were fined heavily for breaching the cap trying to attract players from interstate in a desperate bid to increase ratings, performance and perception. It even existed prior to the introduction of the priority pick system, which was largely introduced to alleviate what looked to be the possible death of football in Sydney (came in in 1992). Hell, Sydney sold 2 promising talls (Carey and Longmire) to North just to help make ends meet (ouch).

That was the state of play for the current worst 5 year period for a team in AFL history. Right now, North are going about 60% as well as that side (12 wins compared to 20).

Yep absolutely. They should also be focusing on all the other coaches who've:

• screamed out audible public swear words as a reaction to umpiring decisions
  • directed homophonic slurs at other players
  • abused junior league umpires who are children volunteering their time
  • punched clean through walls in a coaching box
  • king hit a player during their playing days
  • are clearly incapable of behaving professionally in a workplace, and
  • and have had other egregious examples of being clearly incapable of controlling their temper like a 2 year old having a tantrum

It's frankly shameful the media pick on Clarko so much. What's he done to deserve it?? What about all the other coaches who've done even one or two of the above, like... um... er... Hang on a sec I'm going to need a minute here...
You can't be too clever if you're struggling to find other coaches who've done that stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all of it?

What about all the other coaches who've done even one or two of the above, like... um... er... Hang on a sec I'm going to need a minute here...

LOL all of it or one or two things?

Anyway lets have a look shall we...

screamed out audible public swear words as a reaction to umpiring decisions - Sit near a coaches box. It happens all the time.

directed homophonic slurs at other players - Ross Lyon?

are clearly incapable of behaving professionally in a workplace - Ross Lyon, James Hird, Mark Thompson, Damian Hardwick for starters.

punched clean through walls in a coaching box - are you objecting to any violent reaction in the coaches box or just one that leaves a hole in the wall?

king hit a player during their playing days - Scott brothers, Leigh Matthews, Pagan, Sheedy, Walls ... maybe we name should coaches who haven't king hit players instead.

BY the way i watched a replay of that incident yesterday and the context needs to be made clear. During an all in brawl on a footy field Clarkson king hit a player who was shaping up to hit one of Clarkson's teammates while simultaneously being king hit by a different Carlton player. Belting someone who is about to hit your mate is very different to the way Clarkson's actions are presented these days.

The sort of glorification of violence that goes with the name Lance Uppercut and the avatar you have isn't any better than Clarkson's actions in that brawl and if you had any self awareness you'd probably know that.

Forgot this one...

and have had other egregious examples of being clearly incapable of controlling their temper like a 2 year old having a tantrum

hmmm maybe we'd be better off listing the coaches that haven't done that as well.

Looking at the North Melbourne fixture i expect them to win one game. They have a chance in July/August when they play 3 of the weaker teams in a row, Geelong, Richmond and West Coast with 2 of those in Tassie and one at Marvel.

Looking at the North Melbourne fixture i expect them to win one game. They have a chance in August when they play 3 of the weaker teams in a 4 week block, Richmond, West Coast and Hawthorn with 2 of those in Tassie and one at Marvel.

Fixed that for you

Looking at the North Melbourne fixture i expect them to win one game. They have a chance in July/August when they play 3 of the weaker teams in a row, Geelong, Richmond and West Coast with 2 of those in Tassie and one at Marvel.

Fixed that for you

Fun fact: Oppo supporters dropping by and saying "Hur hur, our club is shit, you'll surely win your first game against us" is a well-known meme on our board.

what if I was blind? Boy would your face be red bzparkes

if that is your real name
walter white GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

North to go winless in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back