News AFL trade, free agency and draft. "who goes where?" - No freakin' hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Im happy with bringing in Titch & JOM this year and then once Hodgey, Burgers & Gibbo go next year we will do the same thing and bring in a couple more young guns to propel us for the next decade.
I really don't want Hodge playing elsewhere. Mitchell is very pragmatic so his choice to go to West Coast will not effect his relationship with the club. He's pretty much retired now but is simply using the fact he still has the ability to play to allow himself to ease into coaching.

Hodge and Lewis are clearly very emotionally tied to the club. We've already heard about how Lewis is disgruntled about what has happened. Hodge is a more concentrated version of that. I reckon he'd sooner retire altogether than consider playing elsewhere. Get him to 300 games and then let him retire as a Hawk in front of a Hawthorn crowd.

The thought of any of our legends playing their final game on the other side of the country and not in front of a Hawthorn crowd is depressing. Hopefully the club requests we play West Coast at the MCG in the final round so if it is Mitchell's last game it can be with a Hawthorn crowd cheering him off.

I really don't want Hodge playing elsewhere. Mitchell is very pragmatic so his choice to go to West Coast will not effect his relationship with the club. He's pretty much retired now but is simply using the fact he still has the ability to play to allow himself to ease into coaching.

Hodge and Lewis are clearly very emotionally tied to the club. We've already heard about how Lewis is disgruntled about what has happened. Hodge is a more concentrated version of that. I reckon he'd sooner retire altogether than consider playing elsewhere. Get him to 300 games and then let him retire as a Hawk in front of a Hawthorn crowd.

The thought of any of our legends playing their final game on the other side of the country and not in front of a Hawthorn crowd is depressing. Hopefully the club requests we play West Coast at the MCG in the final round so if it is Mitchell's last game it can be with a Hawthorn crowd cheering him off.
I hope to be cheering Sam as he does his lap on the back of a hilux before watching Jaeger and co win our 14th flag

Gold Coast is becoming the North Korea of the AFL with that clown Cochrane acting like Kim Jong.Lots of idle threats but in the end everyone just mocks him.When will Gold Coast realise a Wright is better than a Jong.I mean a Cochrane.

Seriously good post, 10/10, would read again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I'm analysing this period the more I can see the absolute mastery and brilliance of GW and Clarko. We have Sam Mitchell who we have relied on for so long and has almost carried our midfield to flag after flag who wants to coach and experience another state/club which works for all parties, we possibly see Sam back at the club in the coming years as a more rounded footy person and we fast track the development of young mids. What we have also done is future proof our midfield by adding one of the very best clearance and contested players in Tom Mitchell.

Vickery on face value costs the club plenty in terms of wages but if he plays the Hale role to the same level it's a MASSIVE win, we get the chance to give Gunno a true partner which will also have a huge knock on effect for Sicily particularly and to a lesser much almost as dangerous Schoey.

JOM is obviously fit, whilst he will be monitored our medicos have done their due diligence and he doesn't concern us so we need to roll with the thought that he will be good for round 1. JOM is our rolls royce, he could/should be the modern Chris Judd and when you start to realise the significance of that you start to understand how damaging we will be from a midfield standpoint. A bit of none-sense to suggest he may struggle with a tag, people forget that Titch will need to be watches as closely if not more closely by opposition and then we have guys like Shiels/Langers to help inside and Smith/Burton/Hartung/Howe on the outside. It's looking better if we can sort JOM which in all likelihood is a forgone conclusion.

Slobbo is a disgrace. He is a supporter not a journo.

He keeps writing pieces about mega deals and hasn't even checked if the player is entertaining or even interested playing elsewhere. " the Bombers are confident they can get Jaeger to come to them" Terrible journalism.

Imagine the conversation at 2.am with Robbo at a bar in Fitzroy with red wine down the front of his herald sun polo.....

MR"yeah i reckon if the Hawks dont pay up he will get to the Bombers"
Punter "why the Bombers Robbo"
MR "because they get him for nothing in the pre season draft
Punter "do you think gold coast would be stupid enough to not get anything for him and let him walk for nothing"
MR "Tony Cochrane said they would"
Punter "you dont think it might be a bit of bluff from Tony Robbo and at the end of the day if he gets a top 10 pick and a player, or two picks inside 20 for him that he might just do the deal and take it and run to the bank"
MR "possibly but i think he is man of his word and is making a stance and I think he would rather the Bombers get him for nothing than the Hawks get him for a fair deal.
Punter " i think you have had enough to drink big fella"
I actually had this conversation with robbo in a Fitzroy bar, but the drink was beer and the player was Judd

Besides Hawthorn, this has actually been such a boring trade period. Usually this time of year is exciting, but its so slow and nobody else has really done anything decent.

Maybe the emotional rantings many have had here and elsewhere about "so much for the family club" were a little off base? Perhaps playing at Hawthorn is worth more than the money you can get playing somewhere else. Other than Buddy, no one has left Hawthorn in quite a while that wasn't informed their playing days were coming to a close.

People mocking the "family club" slogan really have no idea. They are just haters.

The fact is that in recent years Hawthorn have been very good at treating players like people, not just commodities.
Sam Mitchell going to West Coast was the best thing for him, and you could hear the enthusiasm in his voice. Getting pick 88 makes it obvious it was not the best thing for Hawthorn, but hopefully there is a silver lining down the track.

If you were an AFL player, would you rather:
A - Play at Hawthorn, and if ever the time came when you wanted to move on, know that the Hawks would respect you and trade you to the club of your choice, even for unders.
Or
B - Play for Gold Coast and know that if ever you wanted to leave, the Suns would screw you into the uncertainty of the draft rather than trade you for half a cent less than their own inflated demands, no matter how unrealistic they are.

Hawthorn are a professional club and even though I am disappointed to lose Sam Mitchell, I still have enormous respect for the Hawthorn footy club.

Free agency and future picks. We have an absolute motza to spend from 2018 with all those off the payroll. Some will go to reward teh younger players who step up but we will still be able to wave serious coin at Fyfe etc.
Can't use future picks if we traded our future pick from this year. You can't trade future picks 2 years in a row

f7fcf7de485371e21b0a8ba2095cc0b4.png

Probs a beat up for frost lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back