Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello,
Reading a few articles, I believe it seems kako is starting to climb up draft boards.
Looking at the amount of players Richmond are going to lose and the draft picks we’ll get.
Just seeing your thoughts on

Richmond Give 14 and 32, 42, 44, 60, 69

For pick 9

Essentially trading out 5 picks that we won’t use for a 5 pick upgrade and giving you guys plenty of points to match an early bid on kako whilst still having a top 15 pick.

850k+ is a large range

It was assumed by many that reported it that Band 1 would require atleast a 9 in front of it

They lobbied hard for band 1. They wouldnt have if they thought it was pointless
I must have missed the lobby. All i heard was people claim a bnf speech from the president changed the compensation for Battle.

Hello,
Reading a few articles, I believe it seems kako is starting to climb up draft boards.
Looking at the amount of players Richmond are going to lose and the draft picks we’ll get.

For pick 9

Essentially trading out 5 picks that we won’t use for a 5 pick upgrade and giving you guys plenty of points to match an early bid on kako whilst still having a top 15 pick.
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Fair enough,
Out of curiosity what would you do if a bid came for kako at the saints pick 8?
My scenario would allow you guys to match that bid, whilst also getting pick 14 and keeping pick 31.
Vs
If saints bid on Kako,
You burn pick 9 and drop from 31 to 35.
What would you prefer?

Fair enough,
My scenario would allow you guys to match that bid, whilst also getting pick 14 and keeping pick 31.
Vs
If saints bid on Kako,
What would you prefer?

I'd say we'd have a plan to live trade pick 9 if a bid came in before 9. I don't see any sense to trade it before that point.

Fair enough,
Vs
If saints bid on Kako,
What would you prefer?

Thing is pick 14 would get burnt in this trade as points matching goes sequentially from best pick so we’d have to have 14 for a future first lined up.

We’d also need another trade for 28 at the same time.

In theory it’s pretty good value but the way points matching works I don’t think it’s the right deal

Fair enough,
Vs
If saints bid on Kako,
What would you prefer?
Id expect us to hold pick 9 and 31 till draft night and have plans to trade out if a bid comes before 9

Many teams i suspect will be pretty enticed to get pick 9

It would be interesting if the suns decided to come back in before Lombard with an F1

Absolute worst case scenario is Brisbane will give their F1

Best case scenario (with a good dose of nuff-nuff) trade week plan:

• Laverde to Saints for 46 (can cover the Battle-sized hole until Van Es is ready to step up)
  • Stringer, Shiel and 31 to GWS for 21 and Stone
  • F2 to Hawks for Maginness

Net Result:

Shiel gets a chance at some more AFL footy in a side that is contending, and we get Stringer and Lav (who have clearly been marked for the exit door this year or next) off the books now to free up list space. GWS have picks (and list spots) to spare this year and I can see Jake being a very handy weapon sitting alongside Toby and Hogan. Might give them that p.o.d. that's held them back in recent years from finishing the job.

We get in two hard-edged types who can't crack their current best 23 outfits but would be every chance of doing so here, in Maginness and Stone. I'm increasingly of the view that Maginness (despite being mid/fwd in the hawks VFL team) could be the Kelly upgrade for us down back, and just monster an opposition small each week. Don't need to kick well if your job is simply to maul a bloke for 80 minutes.

We take 9, 21 and 46 to draft. Maybe we get lucky and Kako slides which means we effectively pick 3 first rounders. In the more likely event the bid comes top 20, we either use 21 to absorb the bid and prevent a 2025 points deficit, or we pre-arrange a trade-back with someone (ideally involving getting a F2 back into our 2025 hand).

Fair enough,
Vs
If saints bid on Kako,
What would you prefer?
Live trade for an F1 or let them have him. Depends who is still on the board at that stage and what picks we have after the trade period.

So this is what it feels like having a top nga prospect. Expect more posters trying to help our club with bad trade deals.

I’d love us to try and get another top 20 pick, but it seems no one at essendon wants to trade parish or Langford and they don’t want to leave.

From what I’ve seen in an open draft kako isn’t in the top 15, especially with his late season injury.

Pretty confident we get him and someone before him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello,

For pick 9

Others would not but it is not all that crazy in my view if our guys think Kako is "the guy" they really want and rate as the top pick . Not sure we will have the list spots for 60 & 69 but ending up with 14 - our pick 29 - 32-42-44 is not a bad draft haul in this draft.

Didn’t we get one for Daniher when the deal was less than what band one compo should have been?
Think the deal with Joe was we got band 1 because the Lions made sure they offered the big deal and then a couple of years later they renegotiated with Joe to cut some to clear some cap space. The initial offer was not band 1 from memory but it was raised.

...not you, Essendon.
I'm not ever one to stand up for the AFL, but it's actually our fault for signing average players on generous contracts instead of letting them leave. If Battle played for us he'd be getting a 5 (actually 6) year deal on ridiculous money.

We could had the option to rebalance the list in the last couple of years by taking FA compo for both Parish and McGrath and instead we've hamstrung ourselves. Again.

It's past time we start being strategic at the draft and trade table. I'm hoping that now Rosa is in charge we can start to become a professional organisation.

seeing the compo picks handed out, we really have missed the trick by not only losing ou on hypothetical (bands 1/2) picks but tying down guys to b grade players paying them like they are superstars

really shows the incompetence of the previous regime in charge of list management and contracts #legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back