afl vs players pay dispute

Remove this Banner Ad

It may not be

Hopefully Foxtel are standing down all the commentators and others associated with the AFL

If Foxtel went broke then there's going to be a massive hole in the AFLs finances for the next few years

I don't know how they will survive, they're already in dire financial straits and with no sport for 2020 subscribers and advertisers are going to be fleeing like rats

It's amazing that an organisation that has so much of the public give it so much of their time and money (directly and via tv rights, etc), can go to shit so quickly, can feel the need to lay off people so quickly. I thought they might be more resilient, but perhaps they are constantly touching cloth financially.

Many other organisations face tough times and they can sort of keep the ship going for a while. Do the AFL and the clubs spend way too much? Is it too much debt? Too many snouts in the trough?

I don't understand.
Dont think the debt is the problem, but the other two definitely. Plus add in the obvious non existent contingency plan from the AFL Exec.

It's like the PM debate when it always used to start by asking them how much 2L of milk or a loaf of bread cost at the shops. We sort of assumed that most AFL players are out of touch and can't necessarily expect them to sympathise with the average club member, but when other employees at the club are being axed like there's no tomorrow, you'd assume that there'd be a moment of clarity somewhere.

I can see where they're coming from and more power to them, but it's one thing to be a greedy, selfish pig, quite another to make statements where you're trying to come off as a man of the people and just sounding like you haven't got a clue.
Very true. I think the players have valid queries but their public utterances are so consistently hopeless that they always lose the PR battle.

They needed to emphasise the plight of the lowest-paid players - there was a lengthy post here about that under these cuts a few players would get less than unemployment benefits. Doing that, plus emphasising that Gil's initial pay cut was far less than what he was asking the players, would have been much more effective.

Instead, it's been varied gripes from some of the most well-paid players, with predictable results.

PR battles like this aren't impossible to win - the Australian cricketers went on strike a couple of years ago and easily won the PR battle over CA - but the AFLPA fail every time.

For all the PR ineptitude of the AFLPA, a deal was always going to be reached quickly.

Dolts in the media like Sam McClure always breathlessly hype these battles up with comments like "there's genuine bad blood between the AFL and the AFLPA", "Gil off the record is furious with the players", etc... and then a deal gets done not long after.

Is that 70% cut or they'll get paid 70%?

50% pay cut for April and May.

70% cut IF matches aren't played from June. So effectively they still get 30% for doing nothing, which is very good considering they will be taxed a lot less.

Still too much. I'd take it and run if I was them.

I guess the AFL folded after Jack Riewoldt called in the debt that was owed after he reminding all and sundry of incredible sacrifices that the players made participating in the bushfire appeal game.

So very brave.

Last edited:
50% pay cut for April and May.

70% cut IF matches aren't played from June. So effectively they still get 30% for doing nothing, which is very good considering they will be taxed a lot less.

Still too much. I'd take it and run if I was them.
Wouldn't say nothing when they put in months of prep in the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My heart goes out to the players and as such I feel a collection to subsidise their pay cut is warranted. I’m going to start with the hospitality sector to see what they would like to donate. If any of you would like to donate to this worthy cause please let me know. If you could please find it within yourself to dig deep.. the players need you during this tough time.

I haven't read all the discussion here, but I seem to be in a minority elsewhere that believes the players getting paid something is fair. If you or I get laid off from our jobs in this time then our employer is unlikely to have any work for our downtime (I got put on 'indefinite hiatus' last week and I definitely don't) so I'm going to be playing guitar and hanging out with the kids for months. But the players are still going to have to train (most likely to some sort of club program like pre-season) and are 3-4 months in their contracts already including pre-season.

So whilst I'm not saying Dusty or Buddy should get their full 7 figures, it makes sense that if they're being expected to train/keep up any media commitments etc during suspension of play that there should be some pay. Just how much is debatable though, and the end figure probably depends on how much more of the season can be played (much like how the deal they struck is structured but not necessarily those figures).

Just my thoughts though.

I haven't read all the discussion here, but I seem to be in a minority elsewhere that believes the players getting paid something is fair. If you or I get laid off from our jobs in this time then our employer is unlikely to have any work for our downtime (I got put on 'indefinite hiatus' last week and I definitely don't) so I'm going to be playing guitar and hanging out with the kids for months. But the players are still going to have to train (most likely to some sort of club program like pre-season) and are 3-4 months in their contracts already including pre-season.

So whilst I'm not saying Dusty or Buddy should get their full 7 figures, it makes sense that if they're being expected to train/keep up any media commitments etc during suspension of play that there should be some pay. Just how much is debatable though, and the end figure probably depends on how much more of the season can be played (much like how the deal they struck is structured but not necessarily those figures).

Just my thoughts though.
They train what 2 hrs per day tops, people do that for a hobby!!

All of the poor club staff who were given the flick or stood down without pay must be absolutely filthy.

The execs like Gil are actually working ridiculous hours at the moment, going from crisis meeting to the next. Club execs trying to ensure they have enough cash flow to save off insolvency.

Meanwhile the players sit at home making Instagram videos and are still getting paid a stupid wage considering their is no income coming to AFL or clubs.

They’ve been paid in full to the end of March. They already have 40% of their contracts paid.

they have been rewarded for the training.
And the AFL have been hit at the worst possible time of the year. Rd 1 and absolutely $0 income generated.

Remove this Banner Ad

afl vs players pay dispute

Remove this Banner Ad

Back