Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely appalling decision by the AFLW. There are many indigenous communities across our country who are showing their respect to the passing of the Queen, it's just another example of how this competition has been politized by the bigoted hardcore left. I'm all in favour of cutting ties with the Monarchy but this decision reeks of a minority group forcing their views on the whole of society. If they were really concerned about the welfare of the indigenous communities in Australia then they'd be trying to do something about the massively high rate of domestic violence. But that would fly in the face of their agenda

Appreciate the passion - but refer to this post
Ok, please take this to SRP board. We’re done here

Thanks

Appreciate the passion - but refer to this post

Thanks
My apologies, didn't see your post however it's a relevant and topical AFLW discussion because of their decisions. There is a pattern of decision making by the AFLW which is a real problem, see Haneen Zreika.

But, this is my final post on the matter

Nicole Livingstone now has a target on her back after refusing to do a pre-arranged interview on 3AW on Saturday afternoon.

Obviously, there would have been many topics to discuss, with the shelving of the minute's silence front and centre.

To not go ahead with the interview as arranged and answer some tough questions was beyond spineless.

Fancy 3AW producers trying to ring Livingstone and the AFLW boss refusing to pick up after numerous attempts were made.

Needless to say, there wasn't much left of her reputation after Lethal, Jimmy and Caro had their own scathing assessments of Livingstone.

Nicole Livingstone now has a target on her back after refusing to do a pre-arranged interview on 3AW on Saturday afternoon.

Obviously, there would have been many topics to discuss, with the shelving of the minute's silence front and centre.

To not go ahead with the interview as arranged and answer some tough questions was beyond spineless.

Fancy 3AW producers trying to ring Livingstone and the AFLW boss refusing to pick up after numerous attempts were made.

Needless to say, there wasn't much left of her reputation after Lethal, Jimmy and Caro had their own scathing assessments of Livingstone.

Livingstone was always the "cardboard cut-out CEO". She's there for the feel good announcements, photo ops and to do the luncheons.

When there's a big AFLW announcement to be made, Gil is front and centre.

When there's perceived controversy, they hide her away.

Watching the giants v eagles game in the hotel before heading to the prelim. I dont think there was a score in the third quarter although the girls where trying. Seems to me they need 20 meters taken off the ground size. Has there been any discussion of shortening the field?

Watching the giants v eagles game in the hotel before heading to the prelim. I dont think there was a score in the third quarter although the girls where trying. Seems to me they need 20 meters taken off the ground size. Has there been any discussion of shortening the field?
Shortening the field has been suggested by many people unfamiliar with what the stats say. Especially when a low-scoring game on a narrow ground (and egg-shaped, in today's case) happens.

Nobody brings it up when 17 goals are kicked in 60mins of (no time-on) football on a 135x173 ground (10-15m wider and longer than Giants Stadium), like the Eagles' game last week.

The GWS-WC game was played in a telephone box after QT. If a team can't get it into their forward 50, shortening the ground by 20m is not going to help them score, is it.

Shorter grounds are easier to defend. I watched a under 12s match at Glenferrie Rd oval and most of the match was played at one end due the better side locking the ball in their forward half and the other side could not get through the defensive wall. Glenferrie would be a perfect sized ground for Hawthorn's AFLW side to use.

Last edited:

theres no obligation to appear on 3AW - or any other radio station -, let alone for a hit piece.

theres no obligation to appear on 3AW - or any other radio station -, let alone for a hit piece.
There isn't. But it gives the anti-AFLW forces ammunition. And unfortunately there are plenty of those w***ers around (on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and BigFooty). They make an enormous amount of noise and take any opportunity to attack the game.

Personally, I think AFLW was on a hiding to nothing either way. The criticism I think was massively overblown and most of it was from people who don't support it anyway.

I think the solution is for people to get used to women's footy being lower scoring, not fiddling with the game to artificially bring about specific outcomes.

Also, most women's footy is played on the same grounds as men's. My local club has colts, reserves, women's, seniors all played on the one ground consecutively, how would that work?

The other issue is people complain about two things, scoring and congestion. Shortening grounds makes it easier to push numbars to the contest and congest. To me it's not clear it wouldn't make scoring harder.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

When the skills get better, the scoring will follow. It’s easier to apply athletic ability and pressure at the start than to try and use skills that you didn’t have a elite pathway from when they were young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make Daisy the next CEO, she could handle any interview :)

If people want scorelines that look more like the men's, they should push for the same game length, not shorter fields.

The Giants' many errors yesterday had little to do with the goals being too far away.

They expanded way too quickly
Expansion is always going to have teething issues and sides will struggle. The Sun's have been around over a decade in the blokes version and their best years have still been mediocre at best (and even non-expansion teams like Melbourne and Carlton spent long stretches at the bottom of the ladder getting belted).

I agree it's led to some very ugly games, and we'll likely see many more for the next couple of years. But to improve the quality they need the $ and the games in the legs (players are only just reaching 50 AFLW games, 7 seasons in) to improve the standard, which the rapid expansion has brought.

If people want scorelines that look more like the men's, they should push for the same game length, not shorter fields.
In addition to the 5 minute shorter quarters, I'd love to know how much time women's games are losing to the clock ticking through stoppages. I'd estimate most ball-ups are ticking 5-10 seconds off the clock and boundary throw-ins are ticking off 10-15 seconds, but that's just a guess. They're also not consistent about stopping the clock for injuries and we lose a lot of time to random stuff*. It definitely makes it easier to run the clock down.

I'm also doubtful shortening the field does much. Taking 20m off the field is just moving the goalposts in 10m toward the centre. As much as that makes it a bit easier to get the ball into scoring range, it also makes it a bit easier to push extra numbers deep into defence. I'd be shocked if ground dimensions had a noticeable impact on average scores, positive or negative.

(*Random stuff: A minute in yesterday's Hawks/Dogs was lost to umpires arguing over a boundary call. Last week's Swans/Giants lost a minute getting the ball back to Cora Staunton after a free kick. Cats/Pies lost 30 seconds to a player jumping a fence to retrieve a ball. Cats/Dockers lost nearly 30 seconds to Aine Tighe losing her boot and putting it back on. Those are just the incidents I can remember off the top of my head. There's a lot of smaller increments that are lost along the way that wouldn't be lost in the men's.)

In addition to the 5 minute shorter quarters, I'd love to know how much time women's games are losing to the clock ticking through stoppages. I'd estimate most ball-ups are ticking 5-10 seconds off the clock and boundary throw-ins are ticking off 10-15 seconds, but that's just a guess. They're also not consistent about stopping the clock for injuries and we lose a lot of time to random stuff*. It definitely makes it easier to run the clock down.

I'm also doubtful shortening the field does much. Taking 20m off the field is just moving the goalposts in 10m toward the centre. As much as that makes it a bit easier to get the ball into scoring range, it also makes it a bit easier to push extra numbers deep into defence. I'd be shocked if ground dimensions had a noticeable impact on average scores, positive or negative.

(*Random stuff: A minute in yesterday's Hawks/Dogs was lost to umpires arguing over a boundary call. Last week's Swans/Giants lost a minute getting the ball back to Cora Staunton after a free kick. Cats/Pies lost 30 seconds to a player jumping a fence to retrieve a ball. Cats/Dockers lost nearly 30 seconds to Aine Tighe losing her boot and putting it back on. Those are just the incidents I can remember off the top of my head. There's a lot of smaller increments that are lost along the way that wouldn't be lost in the men's.)

When game after game shots fall short from 30-40m or roll over the line I don't see how it COULDN'T help increase scores. Gets the ball 10 meters closer to goal...

Also not sure if it's coaching or what, but the number of times an inside 50 from a boundary line kick results in 3 defenders 1 forward going for it is ridiculous. Clearly the woman isn't going to switch it or kick it in board to top of the square, it's like a 60m kick to do that, she's always going down the line to the pocket/flank and there's no reason to not even up the numbers as an attacking team.

But of course to criticize the women even though I enjoy the game and watch it weekly will make me an arseh*le or a sexist... All good to go hammer and tongs at the men, all good to call Fagan a moron for letting Geelong have an extra behind the ball, but don't dare point out glaring tactical and skill deficiencies in the womens game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back