Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe id ever agree with someone slobbo has written but agreed with most of what he said. One of the biggest issues i think the AFL made was using existing AFL clubs, particularly in melbourne. There isn't enough high grade male talent at the best of times to suffice 18 teams let alone think about expansion into the womens game where there has historically been minimal participation. Would've preferred to see neutral teams enter the comp that allows carlton, hawthorn, essendon etc. supporters to get around the one team.

Can't believe id ever agree with someone slobbo has written but agreed with most of what he said. One of the biggest issues i think the AFL made was using existing AFL clubs, particularly in melbourne. There isn't enough high grade male talent at the best of times to suffice 18 teams let alone think about expansion into the womens game where there has historically been minimal participation. Would've preferred to see neutral teams enter the comp that allows carlton, hawthorn, essendon etc. supporters to get around the one team.
Good idea. Could have had 7 or 8 teams. Similar to a WNBL WBBL set up. More fans and members per team, potentially bigger sponsorship $$ and in a shorter amount of time better quality football.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No one was stopping women playing football beforehand.

It's just that no one would walk across the road to watch it until it was clamped on to the men's clubs.

I recently saw a photo of my cousins Grandmother posing for a women's football team. Would have been in the 30's or 40's.

If you research women's sports up to the start of the war it was pretty common place for women to be playing traditional mens sports.
Vintage cycling is my thing and if you look at that as an example there were star female riders in those times that were used to promote top line brands of the day.

With the advent of the war that changed a lot and post war women didn't participate because post war society needed to replenish its reduced populations and so the 50's styled nuclear family image took over.

The narrative that women were never allowed to do anything is a false one, different times simply called for different outlooks.

The Age, Wednesday, September 9, 1931.

Bit grainy as the scan isn't great quality.

f3rll0.jpg

For me, it is an amateur comp with professional media coverage. etc: it is not ready for it. It is the limelight with nowhere to run to when things go wrong. And because of the standard and youth of the tournament, that may not be the best thing.

Wouldnt the best way to improve the standard of play, be to play more matches at elite levels. Only the best of the best. It is what dumbfounds me regarding the expansion and the 2 month season. You limiting development due to the number of matches and by diluting the average standard. You won't entice new supporters if development ceases.

No other women's league(Outside of the biggest, netball) has such a centralised(short) season with as much media coverage. the WBBL has not had any "backlash" and keeps growing and growing. And the girls are getting better and better. perhaps there is something in that.

Last edited:
The Age, Wednesday, September 9, 1931.

Bit grainy as the scan isn't great quality.

f3rll0.jpg

I'm amazed they couldn't get their own highly prominent league up and running.

Which is the gist of the article, really - the players have unrealistic expectations.

Yep, all of a sudden the very fortunate association with the big clubs is automatically assumed to bring in the bigger dollars and demands.

There may be an obvious reason why not, but......why not?

• have 9 games and finals
  • Start in Feb and finish in early April
  • have some games as curtains raisers to the men's teams JLT? cup games (same clubs)
  • program some as curtain raisers in round 1 and 2.
This would minimise TV production costs.

An objection might be there has to be free admission to the womens games. Club members would get in for free though, it would only be for a couple of games, most would remain free admission.

Am I missing something?

Yes and you should see the crowds and ratings drop after the first two weeks of AFLW when the JLT series starts.

I've been to many AFL matches both seasons and seen no such thing. In fact I've been to double headers where more people were watching the AFLW match.

Would be interesting to know which clubs these nameless executives slobbo quoted are at. Ie, are they clubs with aflw teams or not?

No other women's league(Outside of the biggest, netball) has such a centralised(short) season with as much media coverage. the WBBL has not had any "backlash" and keeps growing and growing. And the girls are getting better and better. perhaps there is something in that.

The thing about the WBBL was that it had clear pathways for women's cricket and high level competition at both state and international level that were well established prior to the creation of that league. The WBBL was not as big a leap for the women to make as AFLW has been for female footballers.

I only wish the WBBL was shown as much enthusiasm on the cricket board as the last few pages of this thread!

And imagine if an AFLW grand final was played in front of a crowd of <100 people, oh how happy it would make some people around here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only wish the WBBL was shown as much enthusiasm on the cricket board as the last few pages of this thread!

And imagine if an AFLW grand final was played in front of a crowd of <100 people, oh how happy it would make some people around here.
To many people have far to much invested in its failure.

Its odd. I give womens soccer scant attention and check out the cricket just as frequently. I spend 0 time bagging those 2 endeavours yet I follow mens soccer and cricket just as much as football

Its odd. I give womens soccer scant attention and check out the cricket just as frequently. I spend 0 time bagging those 2 endeavours yet I follow mens soccer and cricket just as much as football

I think the issue is that you not only have the MRA types for whom football is their primary sport and are threatened by women moving into their space, you also have a host of others - be they football fans or not-really-football fans - who are burning a candle for other sports (or at least other women's sports)....in some cases there is a weird mix of both

I think the issue is that you not only have the MRA types for whom football is their primary sport and are threatened by women moving into their space, you also have a host of others - be they football fans or not-really-football fans - who are burning a candle for other sports (or at least other women's sports)....in some cases there is a weird mix of both
Every women's sport has people bagging it for being a poor man cousin. Even the top end sports which have been around for decades.

It is universal. Has nothing to do with "code wars". AFLW is picked on more because it is new and it is in the spotlight. And we are in an AFL forum mostly.

What about splitting up the season and playing games in October-November then coming back in March ?

Every women's sport has people bagging it for being a poor man cousin. Even the top end sports which have been around for decades.

It is universal. Has nothing to do with "code wars". AFLW is picked on more because it is new and it is in the spotlight. And we are in an AFL forum mostly.

Well, you appear to have taken me off block (yet again)

My post was quite clear. In addition to the MRAs who rail against women in all sports, there are significantly number of people, even many around here, who are threatened by the impact women playing football will have on their sports (or at least the sports they wish women were playing instead of football).

The "AFL carrying on like they invented women's sport" whingers for example

Well, you appear to have taken me off block (yet again)

My post was quite clear. In addition to the MRAs who rail against women in all sports, there are significantly number of people, even many around here, who are threatened by the impact women playing football will have on their sports (or at least the sports they wish women were playing instead of football).

The "AFL carrying on like they invented women's sport" whingers for example
No, your post was, like everything you do, is related to your bitter "code war", completely ignoring the fact that 90% of the people who post in the "Critics get your fill here" would be people you call MRA and footy fans.

Even you(or someone else) said, that "other sports people" don't care about women's sport in their own code. Hence why would they care about AFLW?

Last edited:
AFLW and Mo Hope are the same.

Both hyped as being super entertaining and an inspiration to young women.

Both receive over the top media exposure

Both perform miserably in first season

Both losing numbers rapidly (crowds and weight)

Both have a more attractive partner (AFL and the model girlfriend)

Both realise they have been massively overrated and look for new contracts (Fox? and move to north)

Both look to expand opportunities without first building solid base (extra clubs and going on survivor).

Women's football is in great shape- sadly AFLW is not.

Gil's decision to rush this through to bring back some good will and plaster over the essendon drug saga sees us where we are now.

Good will has evaporated- the product is inferior and becoming diluted and hopefully does not undermine the strong work done at local level.

In 5-10 years there will be an impressive competition, if AFL can manage not to completely destroy AFLW in the next year or two.

Fingers crossed

AFLW and Mo Hope are the same.

Both hyped as being super entertaining and an inspiration to young women.

Both receive over the top media exposure

Both perform miserably in first season

Both losing numbers rapidly (crowds and weight)

Both have a more attractive partner (AFL and the model girlfriend)

Both realise they have been massively overrated and look for new contracts (Fox? and move to north)

Both look to expand opportunities without first building solid base (extra clubs and going on survivor).

Women's football is in great shape- sadly AFLW is not.

Gil's decision to rush this through to bring back some good will and plaster over the essendon drug saga sees us where we are now.

Good will has evaporated- the product is inferior and becoming diluted and hopefully does not undermine the strong work done at local level.

In 5-10 years there will be an impressive competition, if AFL can manage not to completely destroy AFLW in the next year or two.

Fingers crossed
You don't strike me as somebody who has watched much more than one match across the first couple of seasons. Reciting lazy memes about da standard, lambasting a high-profile player and theorising about the AFL's sinister ulterior motives. All the while writing in one-sentence paragraphs, might I add. The archetypal AFLW critic, ladies and gents. It's as if that post came directly from the keyboard of Mark Robinson.

You don't strike me as somebody who has watched much more than one match across the first couple of seasons. Reciting lazy memes about da standard, lambasting a high-profile player and theorising about the AFL's sinister ulterior motives. All the while writing in one-sentence paragraphs, might I add. The archetypal AFLW critic, ladies and gents. It's as if that post came directly from the keyboard of Mark Robinson.

lol
have been involved in girls/womens footy for around a decade at local level.

You strike me as someone with much in common with Robbo- makes incorrect assumptions and takes pot shots from the bar.

Far from lambasting a player- merely pointing out the rather humorous (to me at least) similarities between the two.

Please point out where you think I am incorrect.

PS - Re: one sentence paragraphs- it does make it easier to read on the internet- doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Perhaps we can have a drink over September and discuss- as we will both be free;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back