Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Having played Div1 local footy in one of the stronger metro and country leagues, and had some involvement with women's football at a higher level, there is a considerably higher time commitment and expectations on players in the AFLW than there is local footy - it's not the same.

I'm aware of the commitment of players from VICs strongest country league, it's a big commitment. The days of training 2 days a week are long gone.

That also has to be undertaken with full time work and family commitments.

It's also not financially anywhere near as lucrative per game as the AFLW either.

Plenty of country players are also travelling long distances to play. So what the AFLW players are experiencing is the football experience.

They just get to do it with all the best equipment, staff and facilities available to them and get paid well doing it.

Is there a trade period?
Also when’s the draft?

I think in 2019 most of the trade/draft stuff was in late March/early April.

With no expansion and no state leagues on at the moment it could be possible any time from now up until the draft.

Last year the draft was from memory in late October after the AFL draft week.

If ALFW starts late January/early February in 2021 they really need to have the draft at that time (late October) or earlier each year. I would go as soon as possible after state leagues finish if they do start in 2020.

Each team has 15 players on the field. There are six defenders, six forwards, two midfielders and a goalkeeper, plus eight interchange players.

here is my Aus Team

Davey
C.Randall, Lutkins, Birch, D.Pearce, Bowers, Kearney
Emma King, Prespakis
E.Phillips, Vescio, Hore, Duffy, Ponter, Harris

Gooch (GK), Huntington, Lambert, Parker, Houghton, Ashmore, Purcell, Garner

Each team has 15 players on the field. There are six defenders, six forwards, two midfielders and a goalkeeper, plus eight interchange players.

here is my Aus Team

Davey
C.Randall, Lutkins, Birch, D.Pearce, Bowers, Kearney
Emma King, Prespakis
E.Phillips, Vescio, Hore, Duffy, Ponter, Harris

Gooch (GK), Huntington, Lambert, Parker, Houghton, Ashmore, Purcell, Garner
More speed, less height.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe I'm wrong but I interpreted the initial point to mean games of Australian football. If the two nations were to play each other, why would International Rules be necessary when there are already lots of capable AFLW players from Ireland.

the top Aussies would smash the Irish in a game of footy by 15 goals +. I know some of these Irish girls are quick and get their hands on the footy a bit, but the decision making and skill execution in miles behind.

The gap will also get bigger, not smaller - the reason so many Irish have made the early switch is because there hasn't the talent pathways here were so weak. The draftees get better each season.

Yes a full-strength Aus team would likely result in a lopsided "AFLW" contest, although such a prospect didn't stop the Vic v Rest game from happening in 2017.

But my suspicion is the AFL would be much more interested in the concept if the starting Australian line-up looked something liiiiiike...

B: J.Stewart, E.McGuire
HB: M.Clifford, T.Thorn, C.Davidson
C: P.Parker, N.Plane, I.Cameron
HF: K.Howarth, G.Houghton, T.Tester
F: D.Ponter, A.Newman
R: A.Janz, A.Anderson, M.Prespakis

Same sized pool to draw from, in terms of players currently in the league, and it's not like the AFL have shied away from promoting all-indigenous teams in the past.

Yes a full-strength Aus team would likely result in a lopsided "AFLW" contest, although such a prospect didn't stop the Vic v Rest game from happening in 2017.

But my suspicion is the AFL would be much more interested in the concept if the starting Australian line-up looked something liiiiiike...

B: J.Stewart, E.McGuire
HB: M.Clifford, T.Thorn, C.Davidson
C: P.Parker, N.Plane, I.Cameron
HF: K.Howarth, G.Houghton, T.Tester
F: D.Ponter, A.Newman
R: A.Janz, A.Anderson, M.Prespakis

Same sized pool to draw from, in terms of players currently in the league, and it's not like the AFL have shied away from promoting all-indigenous teams in the past.

I put that idea up several months ago on the world footy website, suggesting an Ireland v Indigenous clash, with the suggestion it gets held in Darwin to make up for Darwin losing it's annual AFLW match after the end of the Crows-NT partnership.

I put that idea up several months ago on the world footy website, suggesting an Ireland v Indigenous clash, with the suggestion it gets held in Darwin to make up for Darwin losing it's annual AFLW match after the end of the Crows-NT partnership.

The Suns now have a partnership with the NT but due to the Mackay partnership too they cant be taking too many games away from the Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: C Fitzpatrick , L Magee
HB: A Considine, S Goldrick , K Herron
C: A McCarthy, S Rowe, A Sheridan
HF: N Kelly, Y Bonner, K Flood
F: C Staunton, O O Dwyer
R: A Tighe, A.Gilroy, A Moloney

INT: G Kelly, J Doonan, M Seoighe , L Corrigan Duryea

Hunter gone from Richmond and Starcevich saying he’s not sure if he will get the Brisbane job with the club cutbacks. How many other AFLW coaches could be in trouble?

From what I heard, Starcevich sounded categorical that any changes to football department spending will "play no part" in whether he's offered another contract at Brisbane. In any case, they shouldn't bring him back.

Paul Hood is probably on thin ice, even though he's the least of Geelong's problems. Nathan Burke should be in trouble, but the Dogs don't want a third coach in three years. Alan McConnell seems to be at the end of his rope with the Giants--doesn't really mean anything, just thought I'd mention it.

And if the Eagles are as foolish as the idiot running the Tigers, they're about to sack Luke Dwyer rather than focusing on how to bring in another established midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back