AFLW Round 8 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Montana Ham and Ella Roberts might be the next "faces of the league" (whatever that means). But it's hard to move the footy with power and precision using your face...

All I'm saying is there were a couple of young stars who might've cost their teams a win today with really poor kicking*, and it certainly wasn't Jasmine Fleming (whose DE was down 20%) or Charlie Rowbottom (DE up 20%).

*so poor it makes you wonder if they're being held back by bad habits picked up while dominating junior footy
Everyone knows what "face of the league" means.

Who said Ham might be the next face of the league?

How could Ella Roberts cost their team a win when they lost by 4 goals kicking 1 for the game?

Who said Ham might be the next face of the league?
...Heaps of people have talked about Montana Ham in terms of being the next mythical "face of the league". I don't know why anybody would think that's a controversial statement in need of proof. But here's an example:

How could Ella Roberts cost their team a win when they lost by 4 goals kicking 1 for the game?
She might've cost them the win by missing really easy shots in the first quarter, which in turn put lesser players under the pump later on (who then proceeded to also miss easy shots).

If you know anything about scoreboard pressure, I don't need to explain the statement further.

I'm willing to bet you could find posters on the WC board who felt like they could've won the game with better kicking for goal. Again, not sure why anybody would think that's controversial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...Heaps of people have talked about Montana Ham in terms of being the next mythical "face of the league". I don't know why anybody would think that's a controversial statement in need of proof. But here's an example:

She might've cost them the win by missing really easy shots in the first quarter, which in turn put lesser players under the pump later on (who then proceeded to also miss easy shots).

If you know anything about scoreboard pressure, I don't need to explain the statement further.

I'm willing to bet you could find posters on the WC board who felt like they could've won the game with better kicking for goal. Again, not sure why anybody would think that's controversial.

Ham's averaging 12 possessions a game this season. Got 20 possies once in her career. Anyone saying this at this stage needs their head read.

So let me get this correct if Roberts converts her 2 shots at goal then the scoreboard could feasibly transform from 1 goal 6 to 6 goals 1 and a WC win?

She must be feeling terrible.

You guys came in 2019 so you have 6 years worth of development
North have only played 4 more seasons than Essendon, but we are in different phases in our team's "journey". The Bombers are still developing their team, while North are playing for Premierships.

North have only played 4 more seasons than Essendon, but we are in different phases in our team's "journey". The Bombers are still developing their team, while North are playing for Premierships.
I don't see it we have too many players that are poorly skilled and and a coach who's crap.

Imo the majority of the team should have been players from our vflw premisership side and Brendon Major as coach we only have one from that side in Georgia Nanscawen and guess what she one of our best every week

Last edited:
I don't see it we have too many players that are poorly skilled and and a coach who's crap.

Imo the majority of the team should have been players from our vflw premisership side and Brendon Major as coach we only have one from that side in Georgia Nanscawen and guess what she one of our best every week
You should be ecstatic watching the Ess women's team instead of the men's.

I reckon we stuffed up. The majority of the team should have been players from our vflw premisership side and Brendon Major as coach we only have one from that side in Georgia Nanscawen
I think a few of those Essendon VFLW players have found themselves in North's VFLW team. I'm pretty sure Alana Barba and Renee Tierney played for the Bombers at VFLW level and may have played in your AFLW team as well.

I think a few of those Essendon VFLW players have found themselves in North's VFLW team. I'm pretty sure Alana Barba and Renee Tierney played for the Bombers at VFLW level and may have played in your AFLW team as well.
Barba did play then got axed.

Still have Sophie Alexander and Jacqui Vogt from the vflw side iirc

Ham's averaging 12 possessions a game this season. Got 20 possies once in her career. Anyone saying this at this stage needs their head read.
Most people just say "next face of the league" to describe a talented and exciting young player (which would obviously be fitting for Ham).

But to those who are seriously referring to it as if it's an official title/position ("no no no, she should be the next face of the league")... please get a grip.

So let me get this correct if Roberts converts her 2 shots at goal then the scoreboard could feasibly transform from 1 goal 6 to 6 goals 1 and a WC win?

She must be feeling terrible.
I wouldn't imagine she's thrilled about missing those very easy shots (especially compared to the difficulty of the marks which enabled the shots). And she too probably thinks kicking those would've given them a much better chance of winning the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 8 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back