Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know if weekly team line ups announced Thursday for all games or they doing the day before each game?
Day before each game, 5.30pm.

North Melbourne-Tasmania are destroying Gold Coast. I think there's going to be a lot of one-sided scorelines this season, especially with the expansion clubs.

Last edited:
North Melbourne-Tasmania are destroying Gold Coast. I think there's going to be a lot of one-sided shorelines this season, especially with the expansion clubs.
I wonder how many times the nine expansion teams other than North will beat the original teams (or North). Probably not many.

Hopefully the next couple of games today are a bit more competitive. It won't bode well if the week the league has fixed all the original teams to play each other has a bunch of one-sided matches.

We've all been around footy long enough, even in bush footy and amos, to know that it doesn't take much to get a lop sided game in Australian Football.
It's the nature of the beast.
Where womens footy currently is situated, of course that's going to happen, how could it be otherwise?
Rather than be concerned about how a team like the Suns might do, celebrate how extraordinary it is that there are two AFLW teams in SEQ and also in Sydney.

We've all been around footy long enough, even in bush footy and amos, to know that it doesn't take much to get a lop sided game in Australian Football.
It's the nature of the beast.
Where womens footy currently is situated, of course that's going to happen, how could it be otherwise?
Rather than be concerned about how a team like the Suns might do, celebrate how extraordinary it is that there are two AFLW teams in SEQ and also in Sydney.
Women’s football is pretty strong up here, and GC’s academy is stronger than the Lions a academy.

But the Suns lack the quality mature agers that the Lions have.

Give the Suns a few more years, and they will have a good team. They’re unlikely to lose many or any academy girls to rival teams, so it’s only a matter of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The standard of footy is improving every year as more and more girls who have played Aussie Rules from Auskick through under 18s, rather than being plucked from other sports, are added to the league. And after watching the next generation playing both interleague games and local junior finals this year, the only way is up for the AFLW.

When you see under 16 girls taking huge pack marks and kicking goals on the run from 50m, you know the future is in good hands.

The standard of footy is improving every year as more and more girls who have played Aussie Rules from Auskick through under 18s, rather than being plucked from other sports, are added to the league. And after watching the next generation playing both interleague games and local junior finals this year, the only way is up for the AFLW.

When you see under 16 girls taking huge pack marks and kicking goals on the run from 50m, you know the future is in good hands.

That was always going to happen, and if or when they go full time professional then the standard will go up a few more levels.

Just watched all of the Cats & Tigers today. I don't have a large sample size besides a watching a few Sains games over the past few seasons.

If you check the scores and see three goals you may think this was dull but it was relentless from start to finish with a few highly skilled players for both sides. Prespakis & Morrison for the Cats while Conti, McKenzie, and Sheeran stood out for the Tigers. Also, both defensive units held up quite well, but the delivery inside 50 from both sides seems to lack any type of planning and was very haphazard.

Is everybody ignoring the elephant in the room though? No knock at all on the players but why are the grounds still the same size as the men's competition? As soon as any of the girls actually lead up at the footy in the forward line it usually takes them out of their kicking range. Women's Cricket doesn't expect you to hit it out of the ground to get a 6! It's not sexist or demeaning to make these suggestions and I think it would help accelerate interest in the competition and certainly increase scoring.

The smaller dimensions would stop the play from being so contained between the 50m arcs and lead to higher scores, haven't really done my research beforehand but I've got no idea why this hasn't been implemented 7 seasons in.

Also, the boundary umps almost coming in 30m and tossing it in from there takes away advantages when sides get it deep into their 50. From what I saw today, with the shorter game time as well a few tweaks and additions could really amplify the viewing experience and get some more interest going.

Just watched all of the Cats & Tigers today. I don't have a large sample size besides a watching a few Sains games over the past few seasons.

If you check the scores and see three goals you may think this was dull but it was relentless from start to finish with a few highly skilled players for both sides. Prespakis & Morrison for the Cats while Conti, McKenzie, and Sheeran stood out for the Tigers. Also, both defensive units held up quite well, but the delivery inside 50 from both sides seems to lack any type of planning and was very haphazard.

Is everybody ignoring the elephant in the room though? No knock at all on the players but why are the grounds still the same size as the men's competition? As soon as any of the girls actually lead up at the footy in the forward line it usually takes them out of their kicking range. Women's Cricket doesn't expect you to hit it out of the ground to get a 6! It's not sexist or demeaning to make these suggestions and I think it would help accelerate interest in the competition and certainly increase scoring.

The smaller dimensions would stop the play from being so contained between the 50m arcs and lead to higher scores, haven't really done my research beforehand but I've got no idea why this hasn't been implemented 7 seasons in.

Also, the boundary umps almost coming in 30m and tossing it in from there takes away advantages when sides get it deep into their 50. From what I saw today, with the shorter game time as well a few tweaks and additions could really amplify the viewing experience and get some more interest going.
I think maybe the thought process is that you’d have to put up temporary goal posts and it wouldn’t have a professional look?

Personally I agree if they shortened the ground by around forty meters (maybe not even that much) it would increase the spectacle

Bigger issue is the umpiring. Standard of umps in the AFLW is nowhere near keeping up with the increasing standard of play

FFS stop being stubborn.... those in power, and reduce the size of ground....plonk 4 posts at the 50metre arc and put some witches hats 10 metres inside the regular boundary lines. reduce to 16 a team and 4 interchange. bingo standard and scores will double.

FFS stop being stubborn.... those in power, and reduce the size of ground....plonk 4 posts at the 50metre arc and put some witches hats 10 metres inside the regular boundary lines. reduce to 16 a team and 4 interchange. bingo standard and scores will double.
They are already 16 a side on the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back