Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Mindreading not required. Just read the post you're bravely defending, which falsely claims "what is not mentioned about [Marinoff/Hatchard] is the number of turnovers they produce in a game".

I really don't know how the connection to the clip couldn't be obvious to a sensible person, sorry.
Yeah, right.

'The sensible person' test.

Just keep enjoying watching and defending a terrible product.

Yeah, right.

'The sensible person' test.

Just keep enjoying watching and defending a terrible product.
Ooh good one, next you'll be hitting the DISAGREE button like a five-year-old...

Pride Round is needed more in Men's than Women's, but the fact it's still here and present is a good reminder to the Men's comp, so still important for footy in general (and of course Pride is still needed and won't go away in general society too).

As for the comp currently, never understood the need for some people to go through all the effort to post negatively about something they apparently don't care about?

Anyway, are Melbourne back? Teams fighting for finals are falling over themselves to let them sneak into the 8 somehow. 3 games to go, anyone from 6th to 11th could make it, but not confident about any of them. The scrap at least is making it an exciting finish. 7 wins should guarantee a spot, 6 teams have to rely on percentage (which makes Demons/Eagles longshots).

Excellent, expansive article in today’s Age.
The condensed rounds was beyond stupid. They would never do it in the men’s comp but somehow it was fine for AFLW

Honestly I think they’re lucky there hasn’t been more injuries from it

Judd in an interview said there were male players who were known to be gay. Within the confines of AFL, they were out, even the media knew who they were, it was just never mentioned.

There were a bunch of others considered to be gay, but for whom it wasn't confirmed.

Now, there is a whole bunch of gay women in the AFLW, and even for the ones not, out, it isn't hard to figure out who they are. They post on Instagram with their partners, they go to events with their partners etc, etc. If you life in the public eye even a little bit, it becomes hard to hide your sexuality.

So, the fact the male players who live under much greater scrutiny than the female players, aren't known to be gay, shows they aren't just, not out. Their sexuality is actively being hidden, and the wider AFL is helping hide it.

Why? Because there is a huge negative impact, both on the player, but also their club and the competition.

Now, if you could name a bunch of male players who were gay, and this was fine, and no one cares, and it had no impact, then I would agree, why have a pride round.

But you cannot can you?

That's why there needs to be a pride round.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Judd in an interview said there were male players who were known to be gay. Within the confines of AFL, they were out, even the media knew who they were, it was just never mentioned.

There were a bunch of others considered to be gay, but for whom it wasn't confirmed.

Now, there is a whole bunch of gay women in the AFLW, and even for the ones not, out, it isn't hard to figure out who they are. They post on Instagram with their partners, they go to events with their partners etc, etc. If you life in the public eye even a little bit, it becomes hard to hide your sexuality.

So, the fact the male players who live under much greater scrutiny than the female players, aren't known to be gay, shows they aren't just, not out. Their sexuality is actively being hidden, and the wider AFL is helping hide it.

Why? Because there is a huge negative impact, both on the player, but also their club and the competition.

Now, if you could name a bunch of male players who were gay, and this was fine, and no one cares, and it had no impact, then I would agree, why have a pride round.

But you cannot can you?

That's why there needs to be a pride round.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
But what if I couldn't care less about the sexuality of any of the players?

Why does it matter?

Does it make them better (or worse) footballers?

But what if I couldn't care less about the sexuality of any of the players?

Why does it matter?

Does it make them better (or worse) footballers?
Then pride round isn't for you. That's fine. Its for the kids watching at home struggling with their sexualiy. Its for the kids online that see posts much worse than what you're saying. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean there isn't countless others that do. **** there is grown adults with the exact same struggles.

I also don't give a shit about other people's sexuality, but I am not going to cry about articles about the topic. I just don't read them. Those articles aren't for me. People need to take a step back and stop saying "I don't care about this so why is it here" and see it from another perspective.

If it's not for you just move on.

Then pride round isn't for you. That's fine. Its for the kids watching at home struggling with their sexualiy. Its for the kids online that see posts much worse than what you're saying. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean there isn't countless others that do. **** there is grown adults with the exact same struggles.

I also don't give a shit about other people's sexuality, but I am not going to cry about articles about the topic. I just don't read them. Those articles aren't for me. People need to take a step back and stop saying "I don't care about this so why is it here" and see it from another perspective.

If it's not for you just move on.
Sport is sport, and should be kept as such.

I go to sporting events to watch a sporting contest, and for no other reason.

If the AFL were to initiate a Pride Round, how can I go to the football and ignore any promotion of it?

And where does it stop?

We've now got 24 home and away rounds per year - that's 24 different social issues that can be promoted.

It'll stop when society and football is a inclusive place for all, it clearly isn't. As proven by the attitudes of people that don't care but care enough to post their thoughts about not caring very strongly....:rolleyes:

Not fooling anyone, except maybe yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL were to initiate a Pride Round, how can I go to the football and ignore any promotion of it?

And where does it stop?

We've now got 24 home and away rounds per year - that's 24 different social issues that can be promoted.
I would strongly urge you to read this from Kate Dempsey on why something like a Pride Round matters

I promise you won’t catch gay from it

I would strongly urge you to read this from Kate Dempsey on why something like a Pride Round matters

I promise you won’t catch gay from it
People struggle with all sorts of issues in life.

Homelessness
Domestic Violence
Drug Addiction
Gambling Addiction
The many forms of terminal illnesses
Sexuality and Gender Identity
The list goes on.

How do we determine which of the above should be promoted and supported, and where do we draw the line?

People struggle with all sorts of issues in life.

Homelessness
Domestic Violence
Drug Addiction
Gambling Addiction
The many forms of terminal illnesses
Sexuality and Gender Identity
The list goes on.

How do we determine which of the above should be promoted and supported, and where do we draw the line?
I mean the AFL does touch on a lot of those already:

Danny Frawley game for mental illness

The Big Freeze for MND

Players did a minute of silence for domestic violence

They can’t do stuff with gambling addiction based on being the worlds greatest hypocrites

Fact is that currently the AFL has done such a poor job at being a safe place for gay players that not a single one has felt it worth being ‘out’ as an AFL player

And where does it stop?

Because humans have empathy?

I am also a straight white male who doesn't personally really care or be impacted by any social causes.

However, when other people say, "my sexuality is in the minority, and I struggle with it", even though it is not something that '''matters''' to me personally, I can sacrifice my comfort levels - to the extent that the team I support wears a different jumper or whatever - to suppor them, because, you know, what's what showing empathy involves.

Consider in mind that while you and I may not treat a gay person poorly, there are still bigots out there, there are still homophobes out there. Having empathy to the the fact that other people might treat other people poorly, and doing our best to socially condition those people to stop treating those people poorly, is all part of a well-functioning society that I would hope we all would want to be part of.

Any initiative which seeks to reverse the damage inflicted by that cow Elizabeth and her cowardly church (founded on levels of hypocrisy which the AFL couldn't dream of approaching) is a worthy cause.

Because humans have empathy?

I am also a straight white male who doesn't personally really care or be impacted by any social causes.

However, when other people say, "my sexuality is in the minority, and I struggle with it", even though it is not something that '''matters''' to me personally, I can sacrifice my comfort levels - to the extent that the team I support wears a different jumper or whatever - to suppor them, because, you know, what's what showing empathy involves.

Consider in mind that while you and I may not treat a gay person poorly, there are still bigots out there, there are still homophobes out there. Having empathy to the the fact that other people might treat other people poorly, and doing our best to socially condition those people to stop treating those people poorly, is all part of a well-functioning society that I would hope we all would want to be part of.
There are also people who treat short people badly - should we have a 'vertically challenged round'?

There are people who treat redheads badly - should we have 'Ranga Round'?

Where does it stop?

Any initiative which seeks to reverse the damage inflicted by that cow Elizabeth and her cowardly church (founded on levels of hypocrisy which the AFL couldn't dream of approaching) is a worthy cause.
Who is Elizabeth?

There are also people who treat short people badly - should we have a 'vertically challenged round'?

Where does it stop?
Short people and redheaded people have never and do not continue to get bigotry and discrimination as much as other ways in which we classify people, such as having a diverse gender or sexual preference identity.

As an example (and I want to stress that this is an example), gay people were previously discriminated against as they were not allowed to marry people they love. That was never the case for merely being short, or redhead.

If the levels of public abuse or discrimination for redheads or short people ever reach a greater level to what they currently are, I agree, lets have a round for them. But it's not at that stage yet.

"Where does it stop", somewhere, at a point that there's a level that's excessive. Even you surely can agree, to the extent that people in society treat other short people badly, that it is not excessive.

I'll stop now before we get sent to the SRP board.

Last edited:

Where does it stop?
You do know that Social Media isnt the real world don’t you Fadge?
That although some call Bigfooty a community it’s not actually society, where different people live and make their lives and follow pursuits and adapt to one another.
It’s worth joining in.

You do know that Social Media isnt the real world don’t you Fadge?
That although some call Bigfooty a community it’s not actually society, where different people live and make their lives and follow pursuits and adapt to one another.
It’s worth joining in.
Seems you're the one who needs to get out of your protected little bubble and join in the real world, if you can't handle someone who doesn't conform to your idealistic narratives.

Seems you're the one who needs to get out of your protected little bubble and join in the real world, if you can't handle someone who doesn't conform to your idealistic narratives.
What are my idealistic narratives?

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back