Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 North Melbourne women's team the most dominant senior team in the history of footy?
Nah not according to the commentators

Old mate Kate McCarthy reckons lions the team to beat heading into this round just gone
She has now adjusted us to first since lions lost

Chyloe the worst commentator also thinks we can’t win in the wet

Despite us being undefeated and having played most games in the wet

Last edited:
2024 North Melbourne women's team the most dominant senior team in the history of footy?
Not Yet No GIF

I know there are still a couple of round remaining, but here's my Team of the Year to date.

FULL BACK: Tilly Lucas Rodd (HAW), Breanna Koenen (BL)

Lucas-Ross
has been simply outstanding this season. Averaging 21 disposals at 63% efficiency, 4.4 marks, 3.1 tackles and 342 metres gained, she is one of the premier rebounding defenders of season nine.

Koenan is a pure defender who simply gets the job done. She's ever reliable and alongside teammate Nat Grider, the two form a formidable partnership. Koenan has had a slightly better year than Grider so she gets the nod.

HALF BACK: Serene Watson (ST K), Maddi Gay (ESS), Emma O'Driscoll (FRE)

Watson had a great start to the season and deserves her spot. Averaging 16 disposals per game at an elite 80% efficiency, Watson is one of the premier rebounding defenders of season nine. She averages 328 metres gained and four marks per game. She gets in due to Kearney not playing enough games.

Gay looks happy in the Bombers' backline after crossing from Melbourne. Her experience has been hugely important and she has the trusted role of kicking in from full back. Averaging 19 disposals at 64% efficiency, an elite 439 metres gained (ranks third in the league) and 4.6 marks (ranks fourth) per game, she complements this back five beautifully.

O'Driscoll is a reliable defender who has a solid mix of negating and rebounding skills. Although slightly inconsistent, I've given her a spot in this team after playing a few very impressive matches.

CENTRE: Eliza McNamara (MELB), Jasmine Garner (NM), Mon Conti (RICH)

MCNAMARA
is the only pure winger in this team. Averaging 21 disposals, 3.9 marks, 5.8 tackles and 370 metres gained, she has been the best performing pure winger this season.

GARNER needs no introduction. The reigning dual champion player of the year is once again in the running to take home the award. Averaging 26 disposals, seven tackles, 5.7 clearances, 443 metres gained and over one goal a game, Garner is simply doing Garner things. Not much more to say.

CONTI has been one of the AFLW's most decorated players in its short history. Obviously she isn't a winger but having an elite midfielder occupying this position is going to be more beneficial than having someone like Sofia Hurley. Averages of 27 disposals, 6 tackles, 6 clearances and 374 metres gain, this smooth mover continues to dazzle fans.

HALF FWD: Sophie Conway (BL), Ella Robers (WCE), Aileen Gilroy (HAW)

CONWAY splits her time between forward and midfield and she is once again very deserving of a place in the Team of the Year. She averages a goal a game, 393 metres gained, 17 disposals and 5.7 marks, she's a well-balanced player whose impact is huge.

ROBERTS is likely going to have a mortgage in this team for the next ten years. IMO, she's the brightest young player in the league and similar to Conway, she splits her time between midfield and forward. Getting a lot more midfield time this year, she's not quite good enough to get herself a spot in the midfield in this team, so it makes sense to have her starting across half forward.

GILROY has been one of the dominant forwards this season and well and truly deserves her place. Her move into the forward line has been a thing of beauty and coach Daniel Webster deserves a pat on the back for making this move. There are several reasons why Hawthorn has surprised this season, but IMO if you had to choose just one reason for the Hawks' emergence as a legit premiership contender, this is the one. She is equal third in goals kicked (13) but due to playing high half forward, she rates elite in metres gained, high in disposals and high in tackles for a forward.

FORWARDS: Aishling Moloney (GEE), Caitlyn Gould (ADE)

MOLONEY's 15 goals this season ranks second. She has kicked multiple goals in five matches. Although Taylor Smith has kicked one extra goal, Moloney gets in because she impacts the game in other ways in which Smith doesn't.

GOULD has kicked 13 goals this year and will complement this team well due to the way she impacts in other areas. She will provide coverage here as the back-up ruck and ranks second in marks per game.

FOLLOWERS: Mim Strom (FRE) Ebony Marinoff (ADE), Ash Riddell (NM)

Strom has been the outstanding ruck of the year, averaging a league high 36.4 hitouts per match. She averages elite totals of six tackles, 14.6 disposals and 3.7 marks per match which is so far above average for a ruck it ain't funny.

Marinoff has had one of the most dominant seasons in the history of AFLW. Her outrageous average of 12.2 tackles per game has only been bettered twice (both times by Kiara Bowers). Considering she tackles so much, it's incredible to think she's also leading the league in disposals with over 31 per game. Her equally outrageous average of 509 metres gained per game has only been bettered once (Jas Garner 2023). God created Sun on the first day, Moon on the second day and Ebony Marnioff on the third day.

Riddell is such a classy player. It's ridiculous to think NM have two of the four best players in the league. She ranks third in disposals and does most of her work in traffic. 7 tackles, 364 metres gained and 4.2 clearances. For the AFL Fantasy buffs, her season average of 111.6 points per game ranks second, but she's still 39 points per game behind Marinoff. Fun fact, her career average of 25.4 disposals ranks #1 overall.

INT: Charlie Rowbottom (GCS), Ally Anderson (BL), Keeley Sherar (CAR), Eliza West (HAW), Chelsea Randall (ADE)

ROWBOTTOM very stiff not to get a starting position. She's an absolute bull, built like a brick shithouse. First in clearances, fourth in disposals and seventh in tackles, her mantra is 'see ball, get ball'. She doesn't care if you get in her way. She's gonna barge through ya and knock you into next week. This is Charlie's world, we're just living in it.

ANDERSON is a former league Best and Fairest winner, 3x club best and fairest and 2x All Australian. Did I mention two of her best and fairests were in premiership years? She remains tied with Marnioff for the most games of all time (both 88).

SHERAR has been one of the few shining lights for the Blues this season. She has quietly gone about her business very well. She averages 21.2 disposals, seven tackles, four clearances and 269 metres gained. This team needs another player who plays between mid and forward and she's deserving of this spot.

WEST left Melbourne as a very good player but not quite one of their stars. She has certainly thrived making the move to the Brown & Gold, quickly becoming one of their most important players. Averages of 22.1 disposals, 8.9 tackles (ranked third), and 5.7 clearances are all career highs.

RANDALL is one of the veterans of the league and this position is filled by the most outstanding and trust worthy utility. I think a player of Randall's importance is needed in a Team of the Year. The swing woman simply gets the job done whether she is required forward or back. Courage personified, she has one of the more impressive AFLW CV's in the league.

Last edited:
needs more players from the most dominant aflw team ever

Alice oloughlin hff
Libby birch or Ferguson as full back
O'Loughlin was the next player on my list. Super close to making it.

key to my heart GIF by Zita Nagy

Kearney would have been in had it not been for her injury.

Birch I did consider but she's had better seasons than this one.

Collingwood to me are the ones that look like a long term rebulid.
To me they look like they need a full restart and mass delistings and clean out of most players and even the coach.
I would keep Bri Davey still even tho i feel shes cooked and has only got 1 or 2 aflws in her left.
Bonnici and Ruby. Along with young gun Cronin.
Kind of delist the most of the rest.
I think Bri just getting worn out and cooked like her old mate Taylor Harris just banged up and bodys not taking it anymore.
To me they need a new coach.
Like to see if Jess Burger can step into the role other then that i think some one like Daisy Pierce or like Erin phillps would be great.
think we need a retired good player that played AFLW.
So a player thats played it at top level and a fairly decent play as well.
Thats my thoughts.
A full clean out and start again.
Over to you Collingwood.

Collingwood to me are the ones that look like a long term rebulid.
To me they look like they need a full restart and mass delistings and clean out of most players and even the coach.
I would keep Bri Davey still even tho i feel shes cooked and has only got 1 or 2 aflws in her left.
Bonnici and Ruby. Along with young gun Cronin.
Kind of delist the most of the rest.
I think Bri just getting worn out and cooked like her old mate Taylor Harris just banged up and bodys not taking it anymore.
To me they need a new coach.
Like to see if Jess Burger can step into the role other then that i think some one like Daisy Pierce or like Erin phillps would be great.
think we need a retired good player that played AFLW.
So a player thats played it at top level and a fairly decent play as well.
Thats my thoughts.
A full clean out and start again.
Over to you Collingwood.
Pretty harsh, your coach is only in his first season, and he has had to deal with a long injury list this season.

Is grand final date locked in for Sunday 1st December?

The AFLW 2024 Fixture is here!

The AFLW 2024 Fixture is here!​

AFLW is back for the 2024 season, and will see a change, as the league will be played over 11 rounds for the first time ever. The season will commence on Friday the 30th of August, with the Grand Final being played on November 30th.

The AFLW will kick off in Sydney for the first time, with the Swans hosting Collingwood, followed by action in WA with Daisy Pearce leading her Eagles for the first time against Richmond and reigning Best and Fairest winner Monique Conti.

Fixtures will continue to be spread across the country, with stops in Mackay, Cairns, Ballarat, Canberra, Coffs Harbour and Darwin, to go along with traditional home grounds.

AFLW will trial new mid week games, that will align with school holidays, to provide fans an opportunity to watch footy on days that normally wouldn’t be an options.

The league will celebrate Pride Round in round 7, with Whitten Oval, the home of the inaugural Pride Game, hosting the featured game of the round, with the Bulldogs hosting Essendon.

‘Tidna Parntu’ will once again replace Sherrin during Rounds 9 and 10, as the AFLW celebrates Indigenous Rounds. Hawthorn will play Melbourne up in Cairns as part of the celebrations, with
Dreamtime being played for the first time in AFLW history, up in Darwin.

AFLW fans can purchase the official AFLW game ball here, and begin their journey to join the “we, the ready” movement.

Love Bri, great person, but I sadly think injuries are now taking their toll.

I remember back in 2015, her first VWFL year with the St Kilda Sharks, a gun player who oozed class, but her ankles were giving her trouble.

I think through nearly every season (bar one or two) she's had some type of injury at some stage.

She's got a few more years left, but more as a role player and leader, rather than one who can carry their side on their back to victory, like she could in the past.

With Tayla Harris, very interesting to see what happens going forward.
Considering the Dees were switching her from the forward line to half-back, she maybe excess to need.

I posed the question after Rd2, the Bulldogs don't have a key forward, and probably have some money to offer as Blackburn is the only player on the list worth decent coin; would they make a play to get her?

That said, if Harris was to move on again, her management would probably try to nudge her in the direction of the Swans, as their would be more off-field marketing dollars to be made there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back