Aflq News

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest how many Zillmere players are in the AFL. Surely there are no more than what could be at other state league sides. (Oh how would they be able to pay for these players should they still be there?) That is no excuse to be middle of the road.
They just don't have the money. Do they even have a ground to play on next year. Word is it has or is about to be sold to either a developer or a large League Club.

I thought the council owned the land.

Out of interest how many Zillmere players are in the AFL. Surely there are no more than what could be at other state league sides. (Oh how would they be able to pay for these players should they still be there?) That is no excuse to be middle of the road.
They just don't have the money. Do they even have a ground to play on next year. Word is it has or is about to be sold to either a developer or a large League Club.

Off top of my head, Lions: C.Stiller, R.Copeland, J.Drummond, J. Charman and rookie D.Dzufer. Bombers: R. Magin. Bulldogs: M. Hahn, S. Reid. Hawks: B. Whitecross. Kangaroos: D. Pratt, B. Warren.

It is no excuse, and i didn't think playing off in 2006 Grand final, and losing almost all of that team, and being n contention to make 4 team finals was middle of the road, but i don't know things may have changed recently.

For a club with minimal money they do pretty well.

Off top of my head, Lions: C.Stiller, R.Copeland, J.Drummond, J. Charman and rookie D.Dzufer. Bombers: R. Magin. Bulldogs: M. Hahn, S. Reid. Hawks: B. Whitecross. Kangaroos: D. Pratt, B. Warren.

It is no excuse, and i didn't think playing off in 2006 Grand final, and losing almost all of that team, and being n contention to make 4 team finals was middle of the road, but i don't know things may have changed recently.

For a club with minimal money they do pretty well.

In all fairness how many of these player are actually from the Eagles, most if not all moved from the country for a year or 2 in order to better their chances of being drafted.

Wonder how the Magpies will go in State League, where will there players come from to be competitive, how many will they need. Are there juniors any good? Are they financial? Who will coach them - is Grentell capable? Is the ground State league level? Can blokes like Mihoploulos play at the level? Does anyone know the answers out there?

I think they already have the players to be competitive. There seems to be a lot of good young homegrown talent there, which should serve them well over the next few years. Also when they go back up into state league they wont be losing their best youngsters to Mt. Gravatt or Morningside (Hamill, Davis, Holman etc) like they have the last few years. As long as a few of the young 17/18 yo's that have been performing very well for them this year don't get drafted (Jainke-Cain, Moore, Fowler, Pennycuik, Friis) they will become very important players for the Magpies. Grentell seems to be more than capable at getting the best out of this team and should at least be given the first chance at taking them into the top level. This year players like Wenham, Pope, Heffernan-Roper and Scott really look like they've grown into mature players who seem ready to take them up into state league and be competitive. Last time I was there the ground was terrible though, so that might be the only concern.

In all fairness how many of these player are actually from the Eagles, most if not all moved from the country for a year or 2 in order to better their chances of being drafted.

And the ones who havn't moved from the country and only played for the Eagles for a year or two were just picked up from other clubs and only played there for a year (i.e. Warren - Aspley, Whitecross - Kedron), so they can't really lay claim to actually producing much AFL talent

And this weeks selections:

Panthers v Tigers: Panthers easy
Cats v Sharks: Cats have a lot to play for but the Sharks will get over them
Vultures v Lions: Tough one - the Lions have a full list with a few players having something to prove - Lions just
Bombers v Eagles: Bombers can be tough at home, but the Eagles must win - Eagles just

And the ones who havn't moved from the country and only played for the Eagles for a year or two were just picked up from other clubs and only played there for a year (i.e. Warren - Aspley, Whitecross - Kedron), so they can't really lay claim to actually producing much AFL talent

This is probably the case with most State League clubs - for example I sure Reiwoldt wasn't a Southport junior, Armitage, Dempsey & Urquhart came from the country, not just Morningside, etc. I guess in most cases the State League clubs give them the opportunity to show their wares at senior level at a young age which impresses Recruiters.

And this weeks selections:

Panthers v Tigers: Panthers easy
Cats v Sharks: Cats have a lot to play for but the Sharks will get over them
Vultures v Lions: Tough one - the Lions have a full list with a few players having something to prove - Lions just
Bombers v Eagles: Bombers can be tough at home, but the Eagles must win - Eagles just

I'll go the Panthers, Vultures, Sharks and the old Sharks (Redland 98 premiership reunion this Sunday so the boys will be in our old Shark strip).

This weeks selections:

Panthers v Tigers: Panthers easy - wrong (badly)
Cats v Sharks: Cats have a lot to play for but the Sharks will get over them - right
Vultures v Lions: Tough one - the Lions have a full list with a few players having something to prove - Lions just - right, but not good on "pick the margin"
Bombers v Eagles: Bombers can be tough at home, but the Eagles must win - Eagles just - right but can't pick a margin

OB - 3 from 4
Morph - 1 from 4
H - 2 from 4.

The finals race contiues to hot up - any thoughts on 4th place? Lions now look secure, Sharks safe, but Vultures might drop another game or two. Who out of the Eagles, Cats and Panthers can get there?

This weeks selections:

Panthers v Tigers: Panthers easy - wrong (badly)
Cats v Sharks: Cats have a lot to play for but the Sharks will get over them - right
Vultures v Lions: Tough one - the Lions have a full list with a few players having something to prove - Lions just - right, but not good on "pick the margin"
Bombers v Eagles: Bombers can be tough at home, but the Eagles must win - Eagles just - right but can't pick a margin

OB - 3 from 4
Morph - 1 from 4
H - 2 from 4.

The finals race contiues to hot up - any thoughts on 4th place? Lions now look secure, Sharks safe, but Vultures might drop another game or two. Who out of the Eagles, Cats and Panthers can get there?

the panther have the toughest run in. they got broadie this week down there. zillmere at zillmere and southport at home in the last round. i think who ever gets in can cause a heap of trouble. the lions dont have a great finals record

The only reason the Suncoast Lions don't have a good finals record, is because they only want to win while the seniors are still playing. Once Brisbane are knocked out of finals...if they make it....there is no reason for the reserves players to continue playing.

Spot on. It's simple if the Lions are still in the 8 come AFLQ finals, LOOK OUT!!

If the Lions don't make(lets hope they don't) then reserves players will book early appointments for surgeons/holidays etc, they normally just shut up shop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Gove is a hard at it,can anyone tell me how he is going at Coloundra .He played at Gisborne and Woodend in Victoria

Another big weekend in AFLQ State League,

Sharks v Tigers - Tigers to push them hard, but Sharks will get up
Vultures v Bombers - Bombers might just upset the "winged" Vultures
Eagles v Lions - Must win game for the Eagles, but the Lions are near full strength, might be a draw
Cats v Panthers - Cats are hard to beat at home, the Panthers will be desperate to win but will just fall short.

Gone for a couple of roughies this week - wonder what odds a Velocity Bookie would give on these 4 getting up? :D

Geez Oddy the odds on all those would be longer than my ... well they'd be really long ...

and the Winners ...

Tigers vs Sharks - Good win by the Tiges last week but Southport too strong all over the ground. Shark by 10 goals
Vultures vs Bombers - Vultures wont be in cruise control for this one after a massive loss last week, Mounties by at least 100
Eagles vs Lions - With a full 16 listed players they'll do it by 10 goals
Cats vs Panthers - Despite the loss last week, Siders are a very balanced team and Broady have no forward line, they've relied on their runners from the middle to do alot but they're (or at least Zorko) are being tagged out of the game these days. by 4 goals

Aaron Gove is a hard at it,can anyone tell me how he is going at Coloundra .He played at Gisborne and Woodend in Victoria

Yeah govey is going pretty good. Named on the bench this week in the 1's. Makes it hard for himself when he rarely trains, but i think work commitments have a bit ot do with it. But as you said real hard nut, excels in the wet!!

Another big weekend in AFLQ State League,

Sharks v Tigers - Tigers to push them hard, but Sharks will get up
Vultures v Bombers - Bombers might just upset the "winged" Vultures
Eagles v Lions - Must win game for the Eagles, but the Lions are near full strength, might be a draw
Cats v Panthers - Cats are hard to beat at home, the Panthers will be desperate to win but will just fall short.

Gone for a couple of roughies this week - wonder what odds a Velocity Bookie would give on these 4 getting up? :D[/quote]

I would personally like to congratulate myself on the worst tipping performance of the year! :p

The only thing I know is that based on no submission this week, our good friend Morph did worse than me :)D)

Not only was I wrong, my "pick the margins" would have been a massive negative. I would like to talk to the Stewards regarding the Vultures though! The Lions aren't that good and the Bombers that bad.

well Oddy i'll just take this opportunity to pump up my own tyres ... not only did i pick 4 from 4 ... my margins are pretty close to spot on ... i called Sharks by 60 (48) Vultures by 100+ (120) Lions by 60 (56) and Panthers by 24 (24) ... hitting some big tipping form at the end of the season!

well Oddy i'll just take this opportunity to pump up my own tyres ... not only did i pick 4 from 4 ... my margins are pretty close to spot on ... i called Sharks by 60 (48) Vultures by 100+ (120) Lions by 60 (56) and Panthers by 24 (24) ... hitting some big tipping form at the end of the season!

Honestly can't believe anyone can be that lucky - not once, but 4 times :thumbsu:

Well Done!

Hey boys just after a bit of info about Burleigh Football Club. Club culture? Is it run well? Coaches? Good Blokes that play there? Just any general info about the club as a whole.

Cheers lads.

And this weeks pathetic attempt at making a selection:

Tigers vs Vultures: Vultures easy
Sharks vs Bombers: Sharks easy
Lions vs Cats: Lions easy
Eagles vs Panthers: What a game, well worth the price of free admission - a draw!

And this weeks pathetic attempt at making a selection:

Tigers vs Vultures: Vultures easy
Sharks vs Bombers: Sharks easy
Lions vs Cats: Lions easy
Eagles vs Panthers: What a game, well worth the price of free admission - a draw!

Was away last week and forgot to tip.

This week Vultures, Bombers, Lions and Panthers.

and my winning tips for this weekend ... taking alot of confidence in from last week ...

Tigers v Vultures - Vultures by 83
Sharks v SharkBombers - Sharks by 137
Lions v Cats - Lions by 58
Eagles v Pathers - Panthers by 7

i've a feeling my amazing luck with picking the margins probably wont extend itself to this week ... but thought i'd give it a crack ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back