Aflq News

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I didn't see any Ipswich games this season, I can let you know that they missed the finals for the first time in a few years, finishing fifth.

Their percentage was quite good, but just not enough wins. Not sure of the reasons for the struggle - perhaps injuries, and then there are always availability problems with the RAAF.

But I'm sure they'll bounce back stronger again next year.
thanks heaps mate, my brother played back in 05 when rhan hooper played. i watched a few games that year and hey looked the goods very good club with nice ppl, if i ever moved up to queeny thats who id play with, the mighty eagles. who won the comp this year???

The State League 2nd Semi:

Vultures v Sharks in both grades

One's: Vultures
Two's: Sharks

In Pineapple cup:

One's: Noosa v Wests - close one, maybe Noosa
Two's: Aspley v Surfers - long way to Caloundra from Surfers - Aspley to win

I win last week because Morph and Hack went missing :D

Also to the Suncoast Lions - lucky there's no stewards in AFLQ footy, if the game had of been played at Eagle Farm you would be in trouble. (not taking anything away from Panthers who had a far dinkum crack, but really) :(

Good wishes to the Caloundra boys this weekend

Redcliffe ended up winning the comp, defeated Beenleigh by about 4 goals (I think).

Robina were undefeated up until about Round 10, and then fell away quickly (injuries again).

Redcliffe ended up winning the comp, defeated Beenleigh by about 4 goals (I think).

Robina were undefeated up until about Round 10, and then fell away quickly (injuries again).

Beenleigh were up by 5 goals at quarter time with the breeze, then never looked like it after that.

And from what I've heard from a multiple of sources, it wasn't so much injuries as the truckloads of cash that was promised but wasn't paid to a few blokes!

One for you TS - are Caloundra any chance to go up to the PHC? Obviously with the Magpies going up you'd assume they'd promote (or relegate) a side to keep things even.

Lenny, I reckon it is a very good question - but the short answer I believe is "No".

The League seems to have an inflexible attitude to relegating/promoting clubs between the League and Association. This might be an exaggeration on my behalf, but I think the League would almost let a Div 2 club fall over before making any changes.

I've suggested it before, and it doesn't get a lot of support here - but I think the Div 2 comp should comprise ten teams. We would then have a balanced season of 18 games, playing each other club twice. No way in the world will I nominate a club though - if I suggest anyone, I'll just cop abuse.

As for Caloundra, perhaps they would be competitive against a few clubs - but the burden of travel, and the impact of copping major losses against the top teams, would dismantle their resolve quickly. I don't think there is a lot of value for Caloundra (or for that matter, Wynnum) to seek promotion.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. An eleven team comp with 18 rounds certainly does not make a lot of sense. Its really anybody's guess! What is your opinion on the best structure of local comps?

Also, a very entertaining Grand Final yesterday. Caloundra had beaten Wynnum three times from three games for the year - but Wynnum played a good close-checking game, pressuring the Coast team on all occasions. Caloundra certainly had their chances, but a one point victory to Wynnum kept everyone on edge until the final second!

Another Grand Final loss would have been crushing to Wynnum (I know, we've been there before) - so congratulations to them on their unexpected, but well constructed success. There'd be some sore heads out their way today!

I saw that Wynnum didn't even score in the last quarter and still held on - ridiculous! Still, glad for the old Springwood boys that are there that did well!

The reason for the inflexibility between League/Association has been that there was a three year moratorium placed on promotion and relegation between the two when the AFLSQ disbanded at the end of 2005. That's gone now so leaves the door open. I completely agree with you that a 10 team 18 round comp is the way to go, but that leaves Springwood in the firing line.

Will be interesting, I'm sure.

I saw that Wynnum didn't even score in the last quarter and still held on - ridiculous! Still, glad for the old Springwood boys that are there that did well!

The reason for the inflexibility between League/Association has been that there was a three year moratorium placed on promotion and relegation between the two when the AFLSQ disbanded at the end of 2005. That's gone now so leaves the door open. I completely agree with you that a 10 team 18 round comp is the way to go, but that leaves Springwood in the firing line.

Will be interesting, I'm sure.

caloundra blew that game yesterday. i think they another 5 shots on goal after kicking the first 3 goals in quick time

i think matty payne will win the j.a grogan medal tonight and he might win it by a country mile. a roughie for the medal tonight imo is. nathan kinch. he could take the medal

congrats to wynnum yesterday and well done to the hornets, magpies , southport and the vultures for making it through to the gf

You're both right about Caloundra having their chances - but here's one thing I did not realize until looking at the quarter-by-quarter scores this morning:

Kicking with the breeze (only a slight advantage), Caloundra scored a combined total in the second and fourth quarters of 3 goals 13 behinds.

Wynnum set the game up well with a three goal to nil second quarter. Even at three quarter time, I said to the people around me that whilst Caloundra were down by 26 points, they could still kick six goals to nil in the final quarter to win. It almost worked out that way - but inaccurate kicking (and excruciating hit posts) left them one point short.

It was an intriguing game overall.

This week in:

State League -
1's: Vultures v Panthers - Vultures
2's: Sharks v Eagles - Eagles

Pineapple Cup GF -
1's: PBC v Wests - PBC
2's: Wests v Aspley - Wests

a massive weekend in footy this one.

the prelim final in the vsc will be a cracker. i am going to go with the mighty siders. i just think they are clicking well and they want this bad. i am sure they dont want to beaten 3 years in a row in a prelim final. if they can get over the vultures midfield, it will go along way to winning this game of footy and thats were southport won the game last week. conroy, clarke, kinch and h wilson have been the key over the last 2 months of the season for the sider and they will be the key again on sunday. morison wont be an influence in this game and thats not unsual against the siders. he hasnt been a factor in the last 3 games he has played against them. i just think the fact they have been beaten in the last 2 prelim finals and the fashion they were beaten. they dont want it to happen again.

the phc gf. this game wont be close sadly. the magies really put the cleaners through pbc last time they played and i was one who thought they would knock them off this year for the flag. but a week off helps heaps and pbc will have to many guns firing in this one for the magpies to knock off pbc

the 2's for both vsc and the phc. the eagles should win in the vsc ressies and god i hope aspley can beat the magpies. i reckon aspley can do it

The word on the street is that the Panthers may have had a helping hand this week at training from a recently retired AFL coach with premiership success...any truth to the rumour in that one damo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will never, ever, see a better local league grand final that the PHC decider today.

Still can't believe the Magpies won.

Ripping game. Thought Palmy played like premiers during the 3rd quarter, started to muck around with the footy and gave the Maggies a sniff.

Unbelievable finish, PBC were shattered after dominating the entire season.

What a weekend of upsets.

If the Palm Beach result was not a big enough upset, then Morningside defeating Mt Gravatt today certainly added to that.

Coming from fourth to make the Grand Final is an impressive effort.

So it is Southport v Morningside. Sound familiar anyone:eek:

the grand final is finally here at last. i am glad the sharks and the siders are in. it will be a better game than ifit was between the vultures and the sharks. these 2 teams are the biggest rivals and they have played in plenty of grand finals against each other. i love an old school grand final and this one wont dissapoint.

my tip is the siders. this side wants this bad. it will be a great grand final and the best players on both sides all year will peroform again on sunday. if the siders can shut david james down. it will go a long to winning the game. this bloke has been a ball magnet for years.

in the 2's. i think the sharks will get the chocalates in a classic.

Interesting thoughts DC, but I will have to disagree. After getting everything wrong last week I'm on a roll.

I think the Panthers will have a real crack and given the Sharks missed a game last week they could be suspect if it's tight late in the game, but they did get some game time into a few players in the 2's who may push for senior selection (i.e. Jenkins & Headland). Lillico has been great but is not 100% and he will find out about it early in the game I suspect. I think the Panthers have been just sensational and I'm sure they will give a good account of themselves, but unfortunately I think the Sharks will get through again.

In the 2's my guess is that the Vultures will be strengthened by a few who played last week and the Sharks were shown up last week to be suspect against the footy being moved quickly. Should be a quality contest with the Vultures to ruin the Sharks double celebration.

Moving to Bendigo in 2009?

Sandhurst Dragons, Bendigo Football League, looking for interested key position players.

Fantastic facilities, team of trainers and dedicated club doctor, strong social club and best ground in central Vic - Bendigo Bombers (VFL) use it, so up to AFL standard.

Send any queries to my mailbox.

sundays game will be a cracker

the key players for both teams imo are

david james. this bloke seems to bring his own footy to every game. if the siders can keep him quiet, it will go along way to winning the game

clint watts. its his last game and he is a big game player. he has won a joe grant medal before and his drive off the back line will be crucial

danny wise. his run and carry will be important. we saw last year how much he was missed in last years grand final. it wouldnt suprise me if lawler went to him

mcentee and sinclair. they were shut down last time they met and the worry is who will get the goals if they both struggle. the dont have dan mcentee this year

the siders

nick clark. he has been arguably the siders best player over the last month and a half. he could turn it it on win the game for the siders

ben gibson. this kid has been outstanding this year and the roles he has had to do. he has nearly won everyone. he will go to sinclair again i reckon and i beat him well last time

glenn conroy. he has been great the last 2 months of the season and he has been brilliant in the clinches and his quick handballs have been important

sam brown and mathew logan. they could be the key for the sider to win the game. they need to kick goals when needed and they to present and not alow abey to be the only target for the siders

it will be a great grand final

joe grant medal winner: ben gibson for the siders and clint watts for the sharks

Southport up in an absolute beauty, looked down and out late in the 3rd and early in the 4th, going against a strong breeze in the last quarter, however managed to come back from a 4 goal(?) deficit to win by about 10 points. The Southport ressies lost by 12 goals to the Vultures(?), never came close apparently.

it was a classic game of footy and its typical of this rivalry between the 2 clubs. david james hardly got a touch and the 2 pronged full forwards stood up at the end. danny wise was outstanding and southports full back could count himself a bit unlucky with the joe grant medal. goughy had a great game though. well done southport
Who was playing full back for Southport ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back