AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is how it should be

Home team should be able to wear whatever they want, given it's their home game - the away team should have to find a combination that doesn't clash - no
exceptions whatsoever.
It's really quite simple isn't it?

It's really quite simple isn't it?

Not really.

If the home team wears shorts that dont match its home jersey then it makes it hard for the visting side to wear clash jersey and shorts

The home team should wear shorts that match the home jersey. If that means white shorts then white shorts it is. Then the visiting side has half a chance of wearing a clash outfit.

We should just copy whatever they do in the EPL, NFL, NHL, A-league, NRL or any other league in the world as long as it :

a) does away with Australian traditions and reinforces the belief that Australians are inferior to the yanks and the poms and their sports.
b) cheapens the clubs's heritage and style
c) adds further layers of confusion, such as port adelaide vs carlton last year and also st kilda vs Carlton with their clash guernsey.

Phew I nearly went to reply then until I realised it was harmesy 37.

"Australian traditions" like not being able to tell which player has the ball because the game moves so fast in 2014 and both clubs are wearing predominantly black guernseys.

Phew I nearly went to reply then until I realised it was harmesy 37.

"Australian traditions" like not being able to tell which player has the ball because the game moves so fast in 2014 and both clubs are wearing predominantly black guernseys.

Yeah, you're right. You caught me out once again. I feel admonished. The "clash guernsey" idea has really helped us to distinguish between teams more. For example, this is a great idea when Carlton play Port Adelaide. I can distinguish them a lot more due to the "clash guernsey"

art-AFL-carlton-yarran-tackle-620x349.jpg

And this one....as they erase confusion via the "clash guernsey" principle.

art-353-svKILDA-300x0.jpg

Melbourne's guernsey - which doesn't have white normally - should have white in it when they play St Kilda...it makes perfect sense.

The Mlebourne clash outfit above is fine as STKIlda are wearing predominadtly dark colours and Melbourned jumper and shorts are mostly white

The Carlton clash would be fine except for the band of blue around the waist on the jersey and on the side panels of the shorts. Get rid of that and all good

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right. You caught me out once again. I feel admonished. The "clash guernsey" idea has really helped us to distinguish between teams more. For example, this is a great idea when Carlton play Port Adelaide. I can distinguish them a lot more due to the "clash guernsey"

art-AFL-carlton-yarran-tackle-620x349.jpg

And this one....as they erase confusion via the "clash guernsey" principle.

art-353-svKILDA-300x0.jpg

Melbourne's guernsey - which doesn't have white normally - should have white in it when they play St Kilda...it makes perfect sense.

Ooohh, zoomed in still images, which as everyone knows are wholey representative of what the game is like during live action at the ground and on television. You totally got me there!

You've used one game that was the worst decision the AFL have made in the history of clash guernseys, and another game that didn't clash at all thanks to the clash guernseys.

The Mlebourne clash outfit above is fine as STKIlda are wearing predominadtly dark colours and Melbourned jumper and shorts are mostly white

The Carlton clash would be fine except for the band of blue around the waist on the jersey. Get rid of that and all good

Yep, you are right. Melbourne should introduce a THIRD colour - white - into their guernsey when playing a team that wears red, white and black.
That way Melbourne can be red, white and navy blue (almost black) vs a team wearing red, white and black. Clash solved.

Wearing something like this below would be illogical as it doesn't involve white in the jumper. All clash guernseys must have white after all...it is vital we get that white in there somehow..

2656227_1_O.jpg

dark, light

Not a difficult concept. StKildas home outfit is dark, barely 15% of it is white

Melbourne introduced a third colour because neither blue or red is dark. 75% of their outfit is white

Essendon have now intruduced grey for the same reason....they needed a lighter shade for so they dont clash with teams who wear dark outfits

Its also why Collingwoods white on black looks so different to its black on white.

The Carlton clash would be fine except for the band of blue around the waist on the jersey and on the side panels of the shorts. Get rid of that and all good

So to avoid a "clash" with St Kilda you would prefer Melbourne wears this

1_01StMe14SG0342.jpg

over this with red or blue shorts?

2656227_1_O.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dark, light

Not a difficult concept. StKildas home outfit is dark, barely 15% of it is white

Melbourne introduced a third colour because neither blue or red is dark. 75% of their outfit is white

Essendon have now intruduced grey for the same reason....they needed a lighter shade for so they dont clash with teams who wear dark outfits

Its also why Collingwoods white on black looks so different to its black on white.

So you say neither "blue or red is dark" yet according to the AFL red is dark hence why Essendon had to change their guernsey to that monstrosity of a grey thing.

The AFL has deemed what colours are dark or light depending on how they can get teams to wear awfully designed guernseys. If they are going to enforce this clash thing at least get teams to utilise the colours they already have- hence Melbourne is red and blue. It is all terribly confusing what is "dark" what is "light" how can red only be "dark" and not light and on what grounds? The clash guernsey supposedly was supposed to erase layers of confusion but has instead amusingly enough added layers of confusion. Personally, I don't care anymore. I have got to the stage where I just find it all amusing. Even the Labor Party in all their fits of incompetency couldn't have stuffed up something as badly as this.

If Collingwood actually elected to wear the white jumper that they used for around 100 years (rather than the black one they invented around a decade ago..) every time they played there would be absolutely zero issues in those games.

But they don't

The whole reason the AFL made us ditch our old clash jumper (predominantly red) was because they said each game has to be dark vs light. Our black is dark, and then they ruled red is dark as well. Now we're in ****in silver.

Now Collingwood and Carlton play each other in jumpers which are pretty close to identical from the back, and there's supposedly no issue?

So you say neither "blue or red is dark" yet according to the AFL red is dark hence why Essendon had to change their guernsey to that monstrosity of a grey thing.

The AFL has deemed what colours are dark or light depending on how they can get teams to wear awfully designed guernseys. If they are going to enforce this clash thing at least get teams to utilise the colours they already have- hence Melbourne is red and blue. It is all terribly confusing what is "dark" what is "light" how can red only be "dark" and not light and on what grounds? The clash guernsey supposedly was supposed to erase layers of confusion but has instead amusingly enough added layers of confusion. Personally, I don't care anymore. I have got to the stage where I just find it all amusing. Even the Labor Party in all their fits of incompetency couldn't have stuffed up something as badly as this.

Melbourne wore white. Thats light. Cant see how you'd find it confusing.

But they don't

The whole reason the AFL made us ditch our old clash jumper (predominantly red) was because they said each game has to be dark vs light. Our black is dark, and then they ruled red is dark as well. Now we're in ****in silver.

Now Collingwood and Carlton play each other in jumpers which are pretty close to identical from the back, and there's supposedly no issue?

TBH the silver is a good compromise - it's not light, but it's not dark either (I noticed no clash when you guys played us)

Collingwood should play in their white with black stripes more - it looks much better than the black with white stripes and as you say, was their traditional jumper. Carlton should also modify their clash jumper and remove the trim - make it basically one colour

Also, I don't know why we don't play in our all purple combo when we play the Gold Coast at their home ground - given they played in their all red combo when they played us over here and there was zero clash (same with when we play sydney - all purple v all red because there is no clash in the first place)

But they don't

Its a compromise you wear a few times a year. Its nobodys fault that both your colours are dark, not even the AFL's

Yeah I seriously don't get how they don't let you use red, say an inverted red jumper with a black sash would imo solve all Essendon's issues. The silver thing looks ridiculous and isn't even that effective.

Depends who they were playing. Its probably not effective against all teams hence they'd still need the silver combo from time to time. The other option was the fat sash but Bombers fans hated that too.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back