AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's stupid how Geelong have to wear a training jumper vs North, although it is much better for the eyes than a few years ago where Geelong were in home kit with blue shorts and North wore Argentina stripes. *vomits*
They don't have to wear a training jumper. They choose what there clash jumper is.

The only reason Carlton wear the home jumper against Collingwood each time is because Eddie requests that they wear it each time against his mob. Collingwoods alternate jumper was their home strip for a hundred years so the Pies dont care what they wear. This whole policy is a bunch of bullshit that only applies to North and Geelong.
Huh? What does Eddie have to do with it?

You seriously had trouble telling the difference between Collingwood and Essendon on ANZAC Day?

547447-collingwood-v-essendon.jpg

as has been noted many times, anybody can correctly pick out which strip belongs to either club in a still.

the issue is with regard to the similarities of the two match-day strips and how likely they are to cause confusion at the ground, and during broadcasts.

in the case of COL vs ESS the predominant colour of both first-choice strips is black. the modification of ESS shorts does not reduce the similarities as the other prominent colour of the COL strip is white, particularly from the front which you have conveniently posted. the red is the minor colour in the entire combination and it does not provide an effective differentiation between the two match-day teams when two other prominent colours are the same.

the AFL have admitted in the past that in their opinion, there are similarities between ESS & COL first-choice strips. this was the result.
Luke+Ball+Courtney+Dempsey+NAB+Cup+Grand+Final+tjwVyoCw5cLl.jpg

that was a good outcome for an ESS home match-day. COL away matches between CAR & ESS and good because COL are happy to wear their white strip because they've done so many times in the past against these two teams. But so far, an exception has been made for CAR & ESS in away matches against COL due to some BS big 3 rivalry.

then there is the AFL's ridiculous policy which isn't even consistently applied anyway. they insist that each match must have a dark vs light contrast. they've classified colours simply as dark or light when a more effective provision would be to assess the similarities of the colours of strips. furthermore, they insist that the white shorts will be worn by the team that already has white in their strip, so as to not introduce a new colour into the strip of a team that doesn't have white. strips should be considered as a whole, not just a ****ing guernsey. then they permit individual clubs to wear a different strip each week in the absence of any similarities.

both the first two provisions were overlooked for the Anzac day. so not only do the AFL have ineffective polices with regard to avoiding similarities of match-day strips, they're not even applied consistently.

it's an absolute farce.

You wait, North will be wearing Blue shorts.

I seriously think that WCE should start having words with the AFL if this is the case because there is clearly some bias with this new rule.

WCE change their strip every ****ing week!

AFL policy should direct teams to wear their first-choice strip every week unless in their opinion, the first-choice strips are similar and/or likely to cause confusion.

it's bloody ridiculous how the current state of play allows clubs to change strips dependant on whether they are just playing at home or away. such circumstances have been contributing to the problem.

Home jumper with gold back and shorts would work too.

what's the obsession in the AFL having perpetuating the different appearances on the front & back of guernseys? this sort of shit makes differentiation worse. if you have two teams with such guernseys, it looks like there are 4 teams on the park.

If they have any sense we'll wear what we want and you wear what doesn't clash.

nope. it shouldn't be left to logic or common sense. it should be written into the regulations.

NM & WCE should wear the kit they register as their first-choice strip.

home teams deciding on a whim which strip they'll be wearing on the weekend has the potential to cause problems. these issues could be determined and sorted prior to the season if each and every team wears the registered first-choice strip in every match, and the away team making modifications if in the AFLs opinion, the two first-choice strips are similar or likely to cause confusion.

it's important for a competition administrator to have control of the presentation of the product and this is the most effective way of achieving that.

it's bloody ridiculous how the current state of play allows clubs to change strips dependant on whether they are just playing at home or away. such circumstances have been contributing to the problem.
How?

Having jumper alternatives clearly reduces clashes

Yes and no, remember both North and Pies have vertical stripes so it makes sense for Collingwood to wear it against North. Geelong have horizontal stripes - hoops - with a mostly white uniform (and presumably white shorts) so a clash with Collingwoods normal home strip with black shorts isn't much of an issue....or rather, SHOULDN'T be much of an issue.
the similarities are still prominent between COL & GEE, i.e., it is all black/navy blue & white.

COL guernsey might be classified as 'dark', but the front of the guernsey is predominantly white. the direction of the stripes are irrelevant. the colours are similar. Effective policy would have COL wearing their 'braces' guernsey or other alternate when away to GEE that has less white and reduces or removes the similarities. When away GEE would wear a strip that reduces or removes the similarities with COL.

in both cases against GEE & NM, COL first-choice guernsey causes problems because it is a predominantly black-sided & backed guernsey with a predominantly white front.

I think it's stupid how Geelong have to wear a training jumper vs North, although it is much better for the eyes than a few years ago where Geelong were in home kit with blue shorts and North wore Argentina stripes. *vomits*

once again, the direction of the stripes is irrelevant. both GEE & NM first-choice strips are predominantly white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason Carlton wear the home jumper against Collingwood each time is because Eddie requests that they wear it each time against his mob. Collingwoods alternate jumper was their home strip for a hundred years so the Pies dont care what they wear. This whole policy is a bunch of bullshit that only applies to North and Geelong.

Like Carlton introducing more white into their match day apparel was going to help the clash? Double standards all over the shop.

exactly, the AFL have avoided writing specific provisions to appease the big 3 and their matches. so, instead, we have obscure 'guidelines' which are applied half-heartedly or strictly, depending on which match-day clubs are involved.

have i used the words absurd, farce, and comedy yet?

read again, in context, and get back to me.
You're somehow arguing that having more jumpers available increases the possibility of a clash when what it actually does is increase the flexibility

You're somehow arguing that having more jumpers available increases the possibility of a clash when what it actually does is increase the flexibility

you have had two opportunities at it. comprehension is obviously not your forte.

but i'm a softie and think that eventually everyone can get it right. so here you go again.

TIP: perhaps don't get so worked up after the first sentence. take a few deep breathes before reading on.

WCE change their strip every ******* week!

AFL policy should direct teams to wear their first-choice strip every week unless in their opinion, the first-choice strips are similar and/or likely to cause confusion.

you have had two opportunities at it. comprehension is obviously not your forte.

but i'm a softie and think that eventually everyone can get it right. so here you go again.

TIP: perhaps don't get so worked up after the first sentence. take a few deep breathes before reading on.
I don't care about the first sentence - I happen to agree with you. The fact we have 3 strips that can be worn in various combinations means there should never be a clash when West Coast is involved, but really two would be sufficient (what we wore today and yellow peril)

My question was a logic one - I don't see how having away strips (that mind you clubs don't wear if it causes a clash) increases the amount of clashes.

The AFL actually got it right today in NM v WCE. So it seems it's just Collingwood that the rules don't apply to.

For the record, the Eagles strip today should be our home strip (or a navy version if they insist on using navy) - our current home strip just creates more clashes with the addition of white & is not what we win premierships in.

I don't care about the first sentence - I happen to agree with you. The fact we have 3 strips that can be worn in various combinations means there should never be a clash when West Coast is involved, but really two would be sufficient (what we wore today and yellow peril)

My question was a logic one - I don't see how having away strips (that mind you clubs don't wear if it causes a clash) increases the amount of clashes.

It has caused problems in the past. WCE have worn the royal blue guernsey against WB in Melbourne in the past. FRE have worn their white alternate against GEE in the past, etc. They used this strips simply becaus they were playing away, not to avert a clash. in fact, they contributed to them.

By implementing a rule that all clubs must wear their AFL registered first-choice strip in every game, it will reduce the potential for week-to-week strip clashes.

apart from the AFL granting special permission for any club to wear a strip other than their first choice in one game a season (for significant or special event), the only reason a club should be allowed to modify the first-choice strip or wear an alternate strip is if in the AFL's opinion, the two first-choice strips are similar and/or likely to cause confusion, and it is the away club.

I want to know why Swans aren't wearing their white shorts yet we are?

definitely goes against earlier AFL statements, doesn't it? or even the application in the NM vs WCE match.

and i thought red & maroon are now classified as 'dark' colours.

despite the AFL's classification of colours, red and maroon do look similar on wide shots from the side and ends on my TV..........and both teams now have white too.

but the other option BL have is a white alternate, so all are limited in effectiveness.

It has caused problems in the past. WCE have worn the royal blue guernsey against WB in Melbourne in the past. FRE have worn their white alternate against GEE in the past, etc. They used this strips simply becaus they were playing away, not to avert a clash. in fact, they contributed to them.
There numerous example of us wearing our home strip away to avoid a clash (and us wearing our away jumper at home). The Bulldogs game you are talking about was actually an error by the West Coast property stewards, and one we got fined for.

Yes there have been errors along the way as this evolves, but West Coast and Freo are probably the two least precious clubs about which jumper they wear when, and they certainly don't put their foot down on insisting they wear their away jumpers.

By implementing a rule that all clubs must wear their AFL registered first-choice strip in every game, it will reduce the potential for week-to-week strip clashes.
apart from the AFL granting special permission for any club to wear a strip other than their first choice in one game a season (for significant or special event), the only reason a club should be allowed to modify the first-choice strip or wear an alternate strip is if in the AFL's opinion, the two first-choice strips are similar and/or likely to cause confusion, and it is the away club.
I understand what you are saying, but I just don't see how it helps. The clubs currently use their mix of jumpers to avoid clashes.

My stance is thee home club gets to wear what they want (their designated home jumper and shorts) and it's up to the opposition to avoid the clash. So in the Carl v WCE game the Blues should've been in their clash strip, as hideous as it is. Why they threw out the white strip I simply don't know.

WCE have worn the royal blue guernsey against WB in Melbourne in the past.

WCE have only worn in once against the Bulldogs, which was a mistake. Someone packed the wrong jumpers They got fined for it.

The royal blue IS the eagles main jumper in most supporters opinion. It's what we have worn in 5 Grand Finals. The club has it wrong with the home jumper. The sooner they get rid of the 'white' the better. It just makes more clashes with striped teams like St Kilda and Collingwood.

And the white clash jumper is also a mistake. They should either wear:
Main - Royal Blue/ Yellow Wings
Clash - Yellow / Blue Wings (away v Bulldogs & Bris, plus our yearly yellow fundraising @ home game)

or
Home - Navy Blue / Yellow Wings
Away - Royal Blue/ Yellow Wings (& Home v Carlton)
Clash - Yellow / Blue Wings (Away v Bulldogs, bris & plus home fundraising game)

There numerous example of us wearing our home strip away to avoid a clash (and us wearing our away jumper at home). The Bulldogs game you are talking about was actually an error by the West Coast property stewards, and one we got fined for.

Yes there have been errors along the way as this evolves, but West Coast and Freo are probably the two least precious clubs about which jumper they wear when, and they certainly don't put their foot down on insisting they wear their away jumpers.

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't see how it helps. The clubs currently use their mix of jumpers to avoid clashes.

My stance is thee home club gets to wear what they want (their designated home jumper and shorts) and it's up to the opposition to avoid the clash. So in the Carl v WCE game the Blues should've been in their clash strip, as hideous as it is. Why they threw out the white strip I simply don't know.

primarily, it allows the AFL have to have control of the presentation of their product. at the moment, it is a week to week fiasco dependent on what a club intends to wear that game, and then the AFL makes a call.

it gives the clubs the opportunity to register a first-choice strip that they will be identified with each season.

registering the first-choice strips in advance allows the AFL to determine which first-choice strips are similar and provides opportunity for affected clubs to register modifications, second and third choice (if they choose) strips based on other clubs first-choice strips that the AFL deem they clash with.

there have been numerous examples over the years of clubs releasing strips mid-year and to be used in its next match due to reactive responses of the AFL.

not even in OS leagues administrations - which significantly utilise alternate strips - do they allow such a free for all that the AFL do.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back