AFLW AFLW Fantasy

Remove this Banner Ad

They've moved TLR and Tam Smith into defence and Baskaran is playing as a small forward. Their main mid setup seems to be Bates and West with either Breed or Sherriff. Their forward line looks really potent. McDonagh has a couple. Hipwell looks great (as a footballer, not really a fantasy option). Vukic is a beast. Plus there's Bodey and Gilroy. Plus Sherriff, when she's not in the middle.

Swans are rotating huge numbers through the middle. Gardiner is the only real constant in there. Kennedy was in most of them up until half time, but hasn't been in there since. Bullas has been in there a lot. Beruldsen has got in for a few. Molloy has been mostly forward but has been in for a few CBAs.

In terms of pickable players, I'd say Gardner as uber premo, Bates as a POD mid, West or Hurley as sub-$1M mids, Sherriff as a F4-5 and Beruldsen as a F5-6. EDIT: Wales as a smokey ruck option or Breed if a $350K mid fits your structure both seem viable. Ham spent too much time on the outside and Molloy spent to much time forward for me. If anyone has anybody they want to ask about, I'll see what I can remember.
Have had West as a cheapish option on my watchlist when they said she would play more FT mid, last year she was getting CBAs in the 50s for the Dees. Same with Bates, I think she can bounce back and is consistent. They’ve been in and out of my team.

Got Lucy as my ruck at the moment, reckon her scoring will increase being solo and got Sheriff forward.

Now would love your thoughts on a player from your club, Liv Vesely, got 26 touches the other night, nice cheapish option, will probably be one of the three main mids with Ty Smith and Lambert and with Priest and Patrikios out there will be no risk of rotation

Dogs started Blackburn, Carruthers and Pritchard with Edmonds rucking. Gold coast started Rowbottom, Single and Whitford with Bella rucking. Brooke Barwick has played a fair bit of centre for the dogs so far.

Also, the special comments guy called Rowbottom 'Carruthers'. I feel like if you have to look at your sheet to tell you who Rowbottom is, you shouldn't be calling Suns games.

More edits: Cleo Buttifant is definitely someone you should be aware of.

Last edited:
Now would love your thoughts on a player from your club, Liv Vesely, got 26 touches the other night, nice cheapish option, will probably be one of the three main mids with Ty Smith and Lambert and with Priest and Patrikios out there will be no risk of rotation
Even when healthy, I think the plan is for Patrikios to play wing and Priest defence. I couldn't watch the whole game yesterday. Lambert/Smith/Vesely seems to be the first choice mid group right now. Vesely's not the sort to rotate through other positions, so the role should be good. That said, I can't see myself picking her.

Even when healthy, I think the plan is for Patrikios to play wing and Priest defence. I couldn't watch the whole game yesterday. Lambert/Smith/Vesely seems to be the first choice mid group right now. Vesely's not the sort to rotate through other positions, so the role should be good. That said, I can't see myself picking her.
Yeah trying not to go completely off praccy match stats as it doesn’t excatly work haha. (Picked Newcombe to start in the men’s and it backfired and he had a good praccy)

Although her scoring last year was ok but not superb

Dogs started Blackburn, Carruthers and Pritchard with Edmonds rucking. Gold coast started Rowbottom, Single and Whitford with Bella rucking. Brooke Barwick has played a fair bit of centre for the dogs so far.

Also, the special comments guy called Rowbottom 'Carruthers'. I feel like if you have to look at your sheet to tell you who Rowbottom is, you shouldn't be calling Suns games.

More edits: Cleo Buttifant is definitely someone you should be aware of.
What role in defence did she play? Kick ins?
Bulldogs are the worst team in the comp. Is there gamestyle a kick mark game?

What role in defence did [Buttifant] play? Kick ins?
Bulldogs are the worst team in the comp. Is there gamestyle a kick mark game?
I don't know how well Buttifant would have scored, but she was doing things you rarely see, going on long runs out of defence and breaking tackles. I think she's a lock to start R1 and for a $380K defender, that's at least worth noting. Probably safer to go someone like Lutkins or Butler (if she plays), but if you're going for a stacked mid, you might need more than that in defence.

Fitzgerald handled the kick-ins. You might as well pencil her in for your 2025 backline right now, but you can't start her as a mid. Georgostathis had an absolute mare. Gave away multiple frees resulting in goals. It looked like she had a defensive role on Stanton, too. She's a definite no for me to start the season, so probably a ton R1.

As for kick mark - I think they were doing that less than they did under Burke. Their footskills were really bad.

I don't know how well Buttifant would have scored, but she was doing things you rarely see, going on long runs out of defence and breaking tackles. I think she's a lock to start R1 and for a $380K defender, that's at least worth noting. Probably safer to go someone like Lutkins or Butler (if she plays), but if you're going for a stacked mid, you might need more than that in defence.

Fitzgerald handled the kick-ins. You might as well pencil her in for your 2025 backline right now, but you can't start her as a mid. Georgostathis had an absolute mare. Gave away multiple frees resulting in goals. It looked like she had a defensive role on Stanton, too. She's a definite no for me to start the season, so probably a ton R1.

As for kick mark - I think they were doing that less than they did under Burke. Their footskills were really bad.
Lutkins wasn't a big scorer before her pregnancy, so I'm not sure I'll go there anyway with her age as well. Everyone has said Butler is the pick of the cheap defenders, but not sure what is going on with her injury, so might be a wait and see. Thanks for the info. Will definitely consider.

Lutkins wasn't a big scorer before her pregnancy, so I'm not sure I'll go there anyway with her age as well. Everyone has said Butler is the pick of the cheap defenders, but not sure what is going on with her injury, so might be a wait and see. Thanks for the info. Will definitely consider.
I'm not excited by them either, but at least Butler and Lutkins have averaged 50+ seasons in games with shorter quarters. I feel like we'll need at least two sub-$400K defenders on field, plus a min pricer on the bench. Hopefully they give us preseason scores before the games start. I can't remember if they gave us scores last year.

Just a final few notes on Suns v Dogs:

Rowbottom was monstrous. If I can't fit her into my side, I know I'm going to hate myself for it. The AFL site says she had 29 possessions, but that was only in three quarters. I assume she was just rested in the last. Daisy D'Arcy replaced her in the midfield and played really well. She'd previously done a great job in defence and seems like a really solid option for D2-4 (depending on structure). Hard to justify Whitford, but she was great as well. That Suns midfield is really ominous and I'd hate to be facing them in R1.

Edmonds is probably my choice right now for a premo R1 if I go that way. The Dogs were going long down the line to talls a lot. Analea McKee may be a F6 option as it looks like she'll be their key target up forward as well as spending some time as their R2. Berry and Gavalas played as forwards, so they're not really options. The Dogs centre square mids were mostly Barwick, Blackburn, Carruthers and Pritchard. Pritchard spent a lot of time on Rowbottom, which was a fascinating battle, but Rowbottom a very clear winner.

Really hoping I can watch the games tomorrow, since I think there's some really interesting players, particularly in the first game.

Rowbottom was monstrous. If I can't fit her into my side, I know I'm going to hate myself for it. The AFL site says she had 29 possessions, but that was only in three quarters. I assume she was just rested in the last. Daisy D'Arcy replaced her in the midfield and played really well. She'd previously done a great job in defence and seems like a really solid option for D2-4 (depending on structure). Hard to justify Whitford, but she was great as well. That Suns midfield is really ominous and I'd hate to be facing them in R1.

Edmonds is probably my choice right now for a premo R1 if I go that way. The Dogs were going long down the line to talls a lot. Analea McKee may be a F6 option as it looks like she'll be their key target up forward as well as spending some time as their R2. Berry and Gavalas played as forwards, so they're not really options. The Dogs centre square mids were mostly Barwick, Blackburn, Carruthers and Pritchard. Pritchard spent a lot of time on Rowbottom, which was a fascinating battle, but Rowbottom a very clear winner.

Really hoping I can watch the games tomorrow, since I think there's some really interesting players, particularly in the first game.
I'll be watching the Crows game. Might tune into the other game if I get time, but not a fan of Port or Melbourne. Surprised Dowrick and Foley are named as emegencies though. Also, will be interesting to see if Hore is played in the midfield.

I'll be watching the Crows game. Might tune into the other game if I get time, but not a fan of Port or Melbourne. Surprised Dowrick and Foley are named as emegencies though. Also, will be interesting to see if Hore is played in the midfield.
Goldrick and Hore are the main watch points for me for Melbourne. Port is the kids as I can't see myself taking any of their experienced players. I've got Goody at M6 and Brooksby at U for the moment (although I think I'll end up with a $300K ruck at U). You've sold me on Allan as someone to watch as a midpriced ruck option. I don't think I'll go that way, but if she has a big game tomorrow...

Carlton's got the two budget defenders I'm interested in and they've named Celine Moody in the ruck. They've also named her sister and Good, so probably not, but maybe?

I’ve got Charlie at M2 at the moment, she’s too good not to have, Noffy, her and Anderson are my three pillars.

Quietly bullish on Pritchard though, I mentioned her last week I think but she’s locked in that second mid position behind Blackburn. Maybe she could be the Treloar/Libba type support act now Lamb’s gone.

If Carruthers was FWD she’d be a lock.

Locked in Wales as my ruck as she was fantastic yesterday in the solo position.

Goldrick and Hore are the main watch points for me for Melbourne. Port is the kids as I can't see myself taking any of their experienced players. I've got Goody at M6 and Brooksby at U for the moment (although I think I'll end up with a $300K ruck at U). You've sold me on Allan as someone to watch as a midpriced ruck option. I don't think I'll go that way, but if she has a big game tomorrow...

Carlton's got the two budget defenders I'm interested in and they've named Celine Moody in the ruck. They've also named her sister and Good, so probably not, but maybe?
Carlton have too many rucks. One will play predominantly forward, but they'll all take points from each other.

Do you go for Allan who will probably score around 60-70 at 400k less or go with a premo ruck that will score 80-90, but may drop a 60 or a 100+ every now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port surprisingly good in the second after it looked like Melbourne were going to run away with it in the first. Window seems like the only one of their kids getting significant CBAs and she's the one that isn't min priced. Goody is playing wing and Brooksby half back.

Melbourne are using Goldrick in the middle as well as someone who hasn't been on my radar at all - Grace Beasley ($300K mid). Hore has been playing both mid and forward and has been good at both. Hanks and Purcell doing their thing in the middle. Paxy is playing defence and taking kick-outs for Melbourne.

Goldrick has been a lot more forward in the third term. Goody is very impressive, even if she isn't getting CBAs.

Last edited:
Half time at the Port/Melb game. I only started watching from the second quarter, where Port dominated, so not much to report on Melbourne's side. Melbourne seemed to have a good first quarter as they were in front though. Hore had a couple CBAs and would then play forward. The ball wasn't down Melbourne's end much so not sure if getting CBAs means more scoring or less for Hore. I don't think she's a must.

No real standouts IMO. Houghton was good, Saint had many opportunities up forward but she's a very low possession player. She also missed from 10m out straight in front on the run. Port seem to have more tall forward options with Levicki and Teakle. Levicki looks decent, but Scholz is still their main ruck.

Been trying to keep an eye out for Goody, Window and Brooksby. Goody is probably the best of the 3, despite her short stature. She's 162cm and looks tiny out there, but has seemed to be able to find it more than the other two.

Port surprisingly good in the second after it looked like Melbourne were going to run away with it in the first. Window seems like the only one of their kids getting significant CBAs and she's the one that isn't min priced. Goody is playing wing and Brooksby half back.

Melbourne are using Goldrick in the middle as well as someone who hasn't been on my radar at all - Grace Beasley ($300K mid). Hore has been playing both mid and forward and has been good at both. Hanks and Purcell doing their thing in the middle. Paxy is playing defence and taking kick-outs for Melbourne.
Paxy did look decent at half back. I only saw 2 kickouts that quarter and she had 1 of them. Not really an option as she's a mid in Fantasy though.

Commentators keep calling it a '25' but it's clearly just a regular 50m penalty.
Goody was good in that third. Her disposal efficiency is questionable though.
End of third quarter, a Melbourne player got up from a tackle and felt she was mistreated and wanted revenge. Her teammates were the first to pull her back. Thought that was nice of them, because wasn't worth it.

Window off injured; foot/ankle in a tackle. 2 trainers had to help her off.

Crows v Carl
Crows started off strong with 2 goals in 2 minutes to Biddell. Almost had 3 in 4 minutes. They were a class above in that first quarter. Gould wasn't playing for some reason despite being named, so for the first half, Biddell played tall forward that rucks up forward. She got plenty of the ball, but went back to her usual position in defence after half time.

Sarah Allan was playing higher up the ground and around the stoppages. Not sure what the Crows are playing at, since she's our AA defender. She definitely got more of the ball as opposed to non possession spoils in the backline, but I don't expect her to continue playing this role. Wait and see.

Hatchard started forward, then moved into the midfield. She's a good mark, but her kicking is still pretty terrible, so I don't expect her to kick bags of goals.

Crows midfield consisted of Noffy + Ponter for majority, with other players rotating through (Hatchard, Randall, S.Allan, Kelly, etc).

Boileau played half forward. Was solid. A good mark. Kicking at goal was questionable. Cheaper than Window. Could be a good rookie option. Not a starting option though (neither is Window).

Jess Allan was okay in the ruck. She was up against one of the Moody's for majority. It was 50/50. She had a really good patch where she took consecutive intercept marks, but at times allowed her opponent to go forward and kick goals. Tartlinton took over ruck duties in the final quarter. I think once season proper starts, it will be Gould chopping out in the ruck as Jess won't be able to play the full game there. Her points will come from hitouts, handballs out of stoppages and marks around the ground. At times, she may be the tackler, but with Noffy and Hatchard, it's usually one of them instead doing the tackling.

Noffy was Noffy. Ball magnet and was running everywhere to get possessions. I wouldn't be surprised if she got a lazy 100+ FA points.

Bit harder to comment on Carlton because hard to tell who is who when watching. Cordner was +1 in defence and was marking everything, especially in the last quarter when Crows had no tall forwards. Duursma was another I considered, but she's just as bad as she was when she was at Port. Gets caught HTB and fumbles a lot. She's cheap, but she's young and not very skilled. Was trying to keep an ear out for Beatty, but didn't hear much of her from commentary.

Sarah Allan was playing higher up the ground and around the stoppages. Not sure what the Crows are playing at, since she's our AA defender. She definitely got more of the ball as opposed to non possession spoils in the backline, but I don't expect her to continue playing this role. Wait and see.
I'm only guessing, but maybe they're trying a Tom Stewart type role for her and/or Randall? I noticed Randall started in the centre with Guerin on her (and Guerin seemed to be following her a bit). Randall seemed to be playing more of a kick behind play kind of role while I was watching (I went to get some food at half time and missed most of the third). Allan playing mid is a lot more surprising, but I think Randall might have been rested late.

Crows v Carl
Crows started off strong with 2 goals in 2 minutes to Biddell. Almost had 3 in 4 minutes. They were a class above in that first quarter. Gould wasn't playing for some reason despite being named, so for the first half, Biddell played tall forward that rucks up forward. She got plenty of the ball, but went back to her usual position in defence after half time.

Hatchard started forward, then moved into the midfield. She's a good mark, but her kicking is still pretty terrible, so I don't expect her to kick bags of goals.

Crows midfield consisted of Noffy + Ponter for majority, with other players rotating through (Hatchard, Randall, S.Allan, Kelly, etc).

Boileau played half forward. Was solid. A good mark. Kicking at goal was questionable. Cheaper than Window. Could be a good rookie option. Not a starting option though (neither is Window).

Jess Allan was okay in the ruck. She was up against one of the Moody's for majority. It was 50/50. She had a really good patch where she took consecutive intercept marks, but at times allowed her opponent to go forward and kick goals. Tartlinton took over ruck duties in the final quarter. I think once season proper starts, it will be Gould chopping out in the ruck as Jess won't be able to play the full game there. Her points will come from hitouts, handballs out of stoppages and marks around the ground. At times, she may be the tackler, but with Noffy and Hatchard, it's usually one of them instead doing the tackling.

Noffy was Noffy. Ball magnet and was running everywhere to get possessions. I wouldn't be surprised if she got a lazy 100+ FA points.

Bit harder to comment on Carlton because hard to tell who is who when watching. Cordner was +1 in defence and was marking everything, especially in the last quarter when Crows had no tall forwards. Duursma was another I considered, but she's just as bad as she was when she was at Port. Gets caught HTB and fumbles a lot. She's cheap, but she's young and not very skilled. Was trying to keep an ear out for Beatty, but didn't hear much of her from commentary.
Did Kustermann play?
Added to fav as she's $300k and wasn't shamed in her debut last season.

Trying to rejig funds to go from $1.1m Goldsworthy to $1.5m Rowbottom.

Did Kustermann play?
Added to fav as she's $300k and wasn't shamed in her debut last season.

Trying to rejig funds to go from $1.1m Goldsworthy to $1.5m Rowbottom.
Yeh, but I don't think she'll make the starting team. She's fringe right now. She had this one good moment, where she broke a tackle and got the handpass out, but other than that, things just didn't go that well for her.

Boileau is the only Crow below $400k that will most likely start.

Ewings has taken personal leave and won't play this year. Indy Tahau also out for the year.

Probably not going to impact many teams around here, but Ewings still has 7% ownership as of last check, so if anyone still has her, adjust accordingly.

Liv Purcell suffered facial fractures in the Dees game on the weekend and will miss significant time.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen it, this article has some stats from the weekend:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW Fantasy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back