Game Day AFLW Round 3, 2024: West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Eagles hit the road for the first time this season, for the first leg of a classic AFLW back to back. Thursday night footy against the Dogs leads in to a Tuesday night clash with Collingwood, in what presents a unique test for Daisy Pearce’s troops.

West Coast can’t afford to look too far ahead, as they have some business to take care of tomorrow against a very vulnerable Bulldogs side. After winning the 2018 Premiership, the Dogs have imploded and now find themselves anchored to the bottom of the ladder. How embarrassing.

Massive losses to start the season (9-72 and 6-46) have the Bulldogs reeling, which has left the Eagles as decisive favourites heading into a game for what must be the first time in club history.

IMG_1927.jpeg

Last time they met: West Coast 5.6.36 def by Western Bulldogs 6.8.44

Much maligned Eagles head coach Michael Prior left his position in the build up to the last meeting between the sides. However, this unfortunately opened the door for the Bulldogs first and only victory of 2023, led by 32 disposals from captain Ellie Blackburn. The Dogs opened up as much as a 26 point lead, before some late goals provided hope for the hosts, but the damage was already done.

Teams:

IMG_1928.jpeg

For the Dogs, #1 overall pick Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner has been managed and will miss the game.

Ones to watch:
Having won the inside 50 count in the reverse fixture, the Eagles have a chance to rectify what has already emerged as a concern in season 2024: the supply battle.

Essendon smothered West Coast in the first quarter last week, recording 14 inside 50s to zero. The Eagles did well to get their hands back on the wheel and threaten a comeback ahead of 3QT, but they left themselves far too much to do.

The midfield grouping of Roberts (16 disposals), Lewis (15 disposals), Drennan (11 disposals) and rotation stints from Swanson (13 disposals), Harken (9 disposals) and Hosking (4 disposals) simply did not win enough footy to build meaningful periods of momentum. This will need to change against a Bulldogs side that has been blown off the park two weeks in a row, despite finding more footy and having a superior inside 50 differential than West Coast. Harken has paid the price for a somewhat difficult debut, making way for another debutant in Octavia Di Donato.

Ellie Blackburn remains the key to the Dogs outfit, with her tenacity at clearances and in the contests helping her to 25 and 26 disposals to start the season. Lauren Ahrens has offered something of an outlet for an under siege Bulldogs backline, but it’s otherwise been a very lean start to the year at the Kennel.

Prediction: I really don’t care how they do it - this is simply a game the Eagles need to win. There haven’t been many in club history but, after a start to the season that has at least shown the club is serious about its AFLW program, it’s time for the team to go out there and professionally get this done. Eagles by 12.

First W game I've ever gone into expecting a win. Finally a chance for the girls to disappoint me as much as the boys have for the past 3 years.

We're unbackable favourites from a betting point of view as well. Not sure what's going on there, Dogs $4.40. Cover your emotions with cash.

We're unbackable favourites from a betting point of view as well. Not sure what's going on there, Dogs $4.40. Cover your emotions with cash.
Dogs are historically bad. They've scored 1 goal across two games and lost 72-9 in round 1 to a GWS team who lost in round 2 to the Richmond side we beat.

It's like I intellectualy know I should be thinking of us as favourites, but I have developed a reflex response of thinking we will lose that I cannot shake.

Also, while the Dogs have a poor side, I don't think it's as poor as it's last 2 games would lead you to believe.

And I suspect they go in thinking this is a game they can steal.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cringe any time Schillo gets the footy. Has to tidy that part of her game up.
At least three smothered after a mark in two weeks, plus however many brutal turnovers.

Has so much else to offer but she just needs to send it long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back