Game Day AFLW Round 3, 2024: West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that really makes me excited though watching the girls this year is their intent.
They close space quickly, they tackle and lay repetitive tackles at stoppage and in the f50 as well.

Just look at the stats from tonight.
1726150265275.png

Girls went hard.
The fact they got the reward at the end will just be huge going forward.
You'd see small flashes of the intent in previous years but it all seemed too hard or not worth it.
Now it's there every qtr. it's early days and there will be times we are not as clean or effective but it's oh so good to just be able to watch them and have some hope.

I think the concern out of that game was Franklin and Cleaver. All our goals were from mids and smalls. Our key forwards, in a game we controlled for large parts, and in which the majority was in our half, never looked like getting it.
Cleaver I think is going to have to decide what sport she wants to play.

I have more confidence Cleaver gets it together, she just looks a bit lost, but Franklin has been around a while now.

Reality is however, We dont actually have a lot of options this year. We really need Roux back fit to provide a different look.

If we dont nail some KPP next draft, we may not have many options next year either.
Cleaver is only playing her third game. She is just 19.

I thought Cleaver looked good in her first two games in the backline. Didn’t get into the game tonight but she is very young and new. I like her in the backline atm.

Shoutout to Mikayla Western. By no means her best game, possibly her least impact for the season in fact (highlighted by the absolute coach killer late in the third which was brutal to watch).

But she’s now goaled in three consecutive games, having previously kicked goals in just three games in her career, and never consecutively. Her goal tonight was one that would please any small forward at any level of the game, and she’s starting to get to the right spot to provide a speedy, pressure option off packs.

Last week’s wasn’t bad either.

If we can’t get her in space to run towards goal with the ball in hand, then at least she can inject herself into the contest in other ways, and a little crumbing or pressure goal each game is a fantastic way to go about it.

Fascinated to see what the forward line looks like if Roux can get back any time soon, as Franklin is really struggling to get involved and the best reliable target inside 50 is also our best mid (the Matthew Pavlich dilemma). But having a speedy option who can goal most games would go a bloody long way with the current list build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back