Game Day AFLW Round 8, 2024: West Coast vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

It's disappointing but also pleasing.

We are competitive, we are getting hands on the ball.

But we are wasteful, decision making is bad, when Roberts isn't there, we have no forward line, and even she isn't kicking them.

But, given the season is over, a competitive loss leading to better draft picks in a strong draft, letting us get rid of some of the poor decision makers, and the players regularly having zero impact, isn't the worst thing.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't understand how our fundamentals have appeared to have regressed
They haven't, they have never been strong, it's just that some games highlight that deficiency more than others.

That we have been really competitive around the ball, but have almost nothing to show for it, is really emphasising the lack of skills, but it's not a new thing.

But, given the season is over, a competitive loss leading to better draft picks in a strong draft, letting us get rid of some of the poor decision makers, and the players regularly having zero impact, isn't the worst thing.

Not for mine, start of this season there were actual good vibes around our W team for the first time and they are slowly dissipating each week. Would rather keep them than get a slightly better pick.

I don't understand how our fundamentals have appeared to have regressed
Some of the girls can't execute the basic skills. A lot of the kicking is horrendous, a kicking coach should be working overtime. Also the positioning of players for a loose ball is poor, a lot of them lay off and take the back position, pretty simple stuff.

Heavily congested game, both coaches throwing extra numbers around the ball. That's why the skills look so crap, the number of stoppages is as bad as AFLW Season One, almost unwatchable. Terrible advertisement for women's footy, any first-time watchers for this game won't be coming back.

Awkward kick in the end but great from Bushby to make herself an option and smart from Lewis to wait, assess, and then give the handball.

Such a basic thing that shouldn’t need celebrating but we’re very bad at using runners from behind across the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the medal won't go to a losing player, but Bella Lewis has been best on comfortably for me.
Yep, great call. Her last month or so has been super impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFLW Round 8, 2024: West Coast vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back