Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - GWS Giants - Rnd 1 this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

SATURDAY, AUGUST 17

Greater Western Sydney v North Melbourne at Blacktown International Sports Park, 11am AEST

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
0.0 1.0 2.0 3.2 (20)
NORTH MELBOURNE
3.4 7.4 11.6 11.11 (77)

>>>Click here for full team lists

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

New faces:
Kaityln Srhoj (draft), Mikayla Pauga (trade), Aliesha Newman (trade), Claire Ransom (trade), Indigo Linde (trade), Eilish O'Dowd (rookie), Jemma Ramsdale (injury replacement player)

Notable omissions:
Alicia Eva (rested), Isabel Huntington (personal reasons)

Injuries:
TBC

Major ball-winners:
Nicola Barr (23), Alyce Parker (23), Bec Beeson (21), Tarni Evans (15), Katherine Smith (14), Madison Brazendale (14)

Goals: Zarlie Goldsworthy, Jess Doyle, Aliesha Newman

What we learnt:
The Giants were up against it early in their battle with last year's grand finalist North Melbourne. New captain Bec Beeson started brightly around the ball, recording eight of her 21 disposals in the first quarter, while Nicola Barr and Alyce Parker each registered 23 disposals for the day. Parker's highlight of the game was a neat, diving mark in the middle of the ground to maintain possession on rebound out of defence. Eilish O'Dowd (nine disposals, seven hitouts) offered some athleticism across the ground as Tarni Evans (15 disposals, four tackles) was used at both ends. Reigning Rising Star Zarlie Goldsworthy, Jess Doyle, and Aleisha Newman hit the scoreboard for the Giants, taking opportunities that were few and far between. Goldsworthy persisted with 12 disposals and five tackles for the game.

- Gemma Bastiani

So in our two practice matches a 65pts loss to the swans, and now a 57pts loss to the roos.
Obviously not great signs but if we are going to have another bad season under Bernasconi at least it's in a year where it's going to be a true national draft.
As much as it kills me, I don't think he's the coach for the job.

Whatever the game plan is clearly isn't up to par.

Last edited:

I care but I also don't. As much as it kills me, I don't think he's the coach for the job.

Whatever the game plan is clearly isn't up to par.
For mine we have gone from a mid tier team under McConnell that was normally always competitive. To a team I see as having more talent but with a coach who isn't getting the best out of the players.

For mine we have gone from a mid tier team under McConnell that was normally always competitive. To a team I see as having more talent but with a coach who isn't getting the best out of the players.
And that's the thing, there's so much talent there. We (my mother) loved watching Zali last season. Mum as a former soccer player in her youth loves watching the ladies and I love that for her.

We went to every AFLW Sydney game last season. Bit hard for me to comment as I'm in my second year of footy as I wasn't around for the previous seasons 😅

We'll attend all the Sydney games this season that we can (depending how we go in AFLM, AFLW Sydney derby is on during AFLM finals :(), cause that's what you do, support the ladies but I can't help think there's talent not being fully utilised.

My impression is that there is a good number of younger talented players but the senior players aren't quite good enough to cover them while they develop. Trying to play aggressively just opens us up to more pain the other way. The McConnell method was less flashy but I think he was more realistic what he had to work with regarding limited talent.

Does this mean that she’s Kingsley’s boss? I read it to mean that she has a dual role as boss of both the AFLW and the club’s entire football program?
Looks like it does, but she's inserted between Adam & Jason McCartney. A lot of "Executive General Manager" titles being thrown around!

Here are a couple of quotes from the story:

The GIANTS are delighted to appoint Alison Zell to the role of Executive General Manager - AFLW and Football Operations.

The experienced sports administrator joined the GIANTS in 2013 and has steadily risen through the ranks over 11 seasons to Executive General Manager - Media, Content and Corporate Affairs at the club.

Zell replaces Briana Harvey, who departed the club earlier this month.

GIANTS Executive General Manager of Football Jason McCartney echoed Mr Matthews’ comments.

“We are delighted to announce Alison as the new Executive General Manager of AFLW and Football Operations," said McCartney.

The role will see Zell work closely with AFLW Head Coach Cam Bernasconi and run the day-to-day AFLW program while also supporting Jason McCartney and Adam Kingsley across the broader football program.

Looks like it does, but she's inserted between Adam & Jason McCartney. A lot of "Executive General Manager" titles being thrown around!

Here are a couple of quotes from the story:

The GIANTS are delighted to appoint Alison Zell to the role of Executive General Manager - AFLW and Football Operations.

The experienced sports administrator joined the GIANTS in 2013 and has steadily risen through the ranks over 11 seasons to Executive General Manager - Media, Content and Corporate Affairs at the club.

Zell replaces Briana Harvey, who departed the club earlier this month.

GIANTS Executive General Manager of Football Jason McCartney echoed Mr Matthews’ comments.

“We are delighted to announce Alison as the new Executive General Manager of AFLW and Football Operations," said McCartney.

The role will see Zell work closely with AFLW Head Coach Cam Bernasconi and run the day-to-day AFLW program while also supporting Jason McCartney and Adam Kingsley across the broader football program.
Based on the above, then Jason is her boss as he is EGM Football, and Alison is EGM Football Operations (in addition to AFLW)… so this means she’s either Adam’s boss or Adam and she both report directly to Jason? Agree with you with the EGM title as this means an EGM reports to another EGM? They really need to make up another title!

Based on the above, then Jason is her boss as he is EGM Football, and Alison is EGM Football Operations (in addition to AFLW)… so this means she’s either Adam’s boss or Adam and she both report directly to Jason? Agree with you with the EGM title as this means an EGM reports to another EGM? They really need to make up another title!
Can we ask the club for an organisational chart? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 New
2024 Season - Round 1

The GIANTS will open their 2024 AFLW campaign with an exciting clash with the Western Bulldogs in the nation’s capital on Saturday afternoon.

Match Information:

GIANTS v Western Bulldogs
Saturday, August 31 at 1:05pm
Manuka Oval | Ngunnawal Country

State of Play:

GIANTS fans will get their first look at this year’s exciting and new-look AFLW line-up on Saturday as they kick-start their 2024 season in a clash with the Western Bulldogs in Canberra.

After months of preparation, the GIANTS will enter their 2024 AFLW campaign full of enthusiasm and looking to start their season with some momentum with a win over the Dogs at Manuka Oval.

The GIANTS could field a host of fresh faces against the Dogs on Saturday, with the club welcoming nine talented and exciting new players in the off season.

Saturday’s exciting season opener will be a special one for popular midfielder Bec Beeson who will begin her official reign as skipper after recently being voted by her teammates and coaching staff as the club’s new captain.

The GIANTS will enter the clash at almost full strength, with the likes of young stars Zarlie Goldsworthy, Alyce Parker, Georgia Garnett and Tarni Evans all fit and ready to fire against the Dogs.

The week one clash will have further significance for Parker, with the gun midfielder set to play her 50th AFLW match on Saturday.

The Opposition:

The Bulldogs will enter the 2024 season with likely the most change of any club in the competition with a new coach, new captain, new players, new list manager and a new general manager of women’s footy.

The new-look Dogs will be looking to bounce back from a down 2023 season in which they registered just one win to claim the wooden spoon.

Like the GIANTS, the Dogs will enter the 2024 season with a new leader, with Deanna Berry named the new skipper after a new leadership selection process was introduced ahead of the season. Berry takes the reins from inaugural Bulldog Ellie Blackburn who led the club for six seasons and captained the side to their 2018 flag.

Recent History:

Saturday’s match will mark almost exactly two years to the day that the GIANTS and the Bulldogs last met in an AFLW match, with the sides also kick-starting their 2022 seasons against one another.

Held back on August 28, 2022, it was the Bulldogs who registered a seven-point win at home over the GIANTS in the round one fixture.

In what was Cam Bernasconi’s first match as the club’s new AFLW head coach, the GIANTS stormed home with a big final term but the home side held on to win 6.5 (41) to 5.4 (34) at Ikon Park.

Four fresh faces will headline the GIANTS’ season opener this Saturday, with Kaitlyn Srhoj, Eilish O’Dowd, Mikayla Pauga and Clare Ransom all named in the week one team.

Srhoj and O’Dowd will make their AFLW debuts while Pauga and Ransom will make their club debuts after joining the club through the trade period last year.

Taken with pick three in last year’s draft, Kaitlyn Srhoj (a surname of Croatian origin and pronounced Sir-hoy) has wasted little time impressing in her first AFLW pre-season to earn the call up. The talented teenager was told of her upcoming debut by coach Cam Bernasconi in front of the entire playing group on Thursday morning, with Srhoj brought to tears upon hearing the news, expressing it was a “dream come true”.

The GIANTS will also unleash Irish rookie Eilish O’Dowd for her AFLW debut this weekend, becoming the fourth Irishwoman to wear the orange and charcoal.

Premiership player Mikayla Pauga will don her new colours for the first official time this weekend. The former Lion joined the GIANTS in the summer as a part of a trade between the two clubs. Hailing from Queensland, Pauga honed her skills in the NAB AFLW Academy and in the Queensland U19 side before being drafted through eye-catching performances as an 18-year-old. The 20-year-old played 15 games in her three seasons with the Lions and is set to bolster the GIANTS midfield with her energy and explosiveness.

Fellow newcomer Claire Ransom will also her club debut in the opening round clash against the Bulldogs on Saturday. A tough but silky-smooth midfielder with great evasive skills, Ransom was drafted by the Suns in 2022 after starring for the Tasmania Devils in the NAB League girls' competition. The gun teenager, who can play on a wing or up forward, has made the most of her time at the club so far, re-gaining her love for the game which is shining through in what she is putting out on the field.

Alongside the four fresh faces, GIANTS star Alyce Parker will run out for her 50th AFLW and club game this Saturday.

Meanwhile, Meghan Gaffney has been named to make her return after she missed the entire 2023 season with an ACL injury.

WB-W v GWS-W.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - GWS Giants - Rnd 1 this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back