AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say it would have more to do with not diluting the talent base any further.
I'd say talent dilution is a big factor, and that a few of the current expansion teams haven't had the best of times

- Geelong in their 3rd season won a single game
- Richmond was winless last season, but improved for 3 wins this season
- GC won 2 games & 1 draw last season, but winless this season
- WCE 1 win last season and 2 wins this season
- St Kilda 2 wins last season and 3 this season

North has been the best of the expansion teams,

Till its professional , I think Geelong will struggle. The draft system seems to dud us... but more teams would favour us. New clubs would not attack us would they.

You'd have to expect at least a couple of first round draft picks, or a draft pick and a player. Someone like Eden Zanker or Lily Mithen would do me.

What is the use of us getting R1 picks when they just nominate Melb? Mayb the players are better but how does that work? Do they players have the rights like the men to say no?

What is the use of us getting R1 picks when they just nominate Melb? Mayb the players are better but how does that work? Do they players have the rights like the men to say no?

We'll likely know more soon in regards to the draft & zones etc, but if they use the same rules as last year then there's no split zones within Vic

Following some of the threads on the sites AFLW board & the views of others who follow the NAB League Girls more closely, there was a suggestion that there's potentially 4-6 Falcons Girls who could be genuine prospects for the first 2 rounds in this years draft

That's obviously based on the idea we're going to stay more local or country with our selections

We'll likely know more soon in regards to the draft & zones etc, but if they use the same rules as last year then there's no split zones within Vic

Following some of the threads on the sites AFLW board & the views of others who follow the NAB League Girls more closely, there was a suggestion that there's potentially 4-6 Falcons Girls who could be genuine prospects for the first 2 rounds in this years draft

That's obviously based on the idea we're going to stay more local or country with our selections

and none can do what Mcevoy did?

WE should stay local its all about that..as long the talent is there. We do need to be more competitive than this year. I cant see how that serves anyone.

and none can do what Mcevoy did?

WE should stay local its all about that..as long the talent is there. We do need to be more competitive than this year. I cant see how that serves anyone.

If the rules don't change, no one can say Melbourne Metro only

Best of luck to Hood with what comes next and the return to focusing on life outside of football

This year clearly wasn't a good year for the team, but he's had a long history with the GFC and with the womens team in both the VFLW & AFLW. It shouldn't be forgotten he was at the helm when we played off in the 2018 VFLW grand final

Though I believe this is best for club moving forward, and it could make things interesting ahead of the trade period & potential further list management decisions - will a change of coach have an impact on decisions of players to stay, go or join the club

GEELONG is on the hunt for a new AFLW coach following the resignation of Paul Hood.

The Cats’ inaugural VFLW and AFLW coach has made the call to step down after returning to teaching at the start of the 2021 school year.

Best of luck to Hoody going forward with his endeavours.

Wish him the best

GO Catters

Now thats been said, perhaps as cats_09 eluded to .... some player and list management ideas might shift

Perhaps my girl not so hell bent on leaving?!?!

Hope so.

Go Catters

Now thats been said, perhaps as cats_09 eluded to .... some player and list management ideas might shift

Perhaps my girl not so hell bent on leaving?!?!

Hope so.

Go Catters

That's one of the players I was thinking about...

If you're a player out of contract & looking at your options, either to be re-signed by Geelong or having been approached by Geelong to join the team, then I don't doubt that the coaching staff would have an impact on the decision

As it stood, the club had gone from 3 wins in 2019, 2 last year and just 1 this year - so for the undecided, you'd be asking questions about the direction the club was heading in and what it stood for

This change gives the club an opportunity for something of a fresh start, and potentially it starts to become easier to sell the club

I'd be curious if Andrew Bruce (our VFLW coach) is seen as an option, or at the very least an option to be part of the coaching group as it's been very impressive to see the way our VFLW side has gone about things this season - not just that they're winning but in their approach to things & the style of play

I think it could also be good going forward to see a better cross-over or connection between the 2 sides such as our VFLW senior coach being an assistant for our AFLW side, because the senior side could definitely learn a thing or 2 from the way the VFLW team has gone about things this season

Was watching part of a VFLW game on YouTube yesterday, and in the pre-game they were talking about a few AFLW teams, and the question was asked why Geelong hadn't parted ways with Paul Hood. One of the commentators was wondering if he was actually there to be a developmental coach, and based it on the fact most of the players on the list were youngsters.

If that was the case, I guess you could ask the question - how many of the girls actually improved under him? I guess you can say Purcell and Amy McDonald, but were there many others?

Was watching part of a VFLW game on YouTube yesterday, and in the pre-game they were talking about a few AFLW teams, and the question was asked why Geelong hadn't parted ways with Paul Hood. One of the commentators was wondering if he was actually there to be a developmental coach, and based it on the fact most of the players on the list were youngsters.

If that was the case, I guess you could ask the question - how many of the girls actually improved under him? I guess you can say Purcell and Amy McDonald, but were there many others?

Did McDonald improve under him?

I know she won our b&f this year, but when you consider she was drafted in 2019 as a 21 year old, she finished 3rd in the Geelong VFLW b&f and was named in the VFLW team on the year in her draft year, you could argue she was a few developmental steps ahead of other recent draftees

Article on the AFLW website - it's a bit long but also seems to cover a lot of it's stuffed we've all discussed over the past season or 2

Gun midfielder wants out, no coach, one win: Where to now for the Cats?

STAR Geelong midfielder Liv Purcell looks bound for Melbourne, exacerbating a serious issue for the coachless club she leaves behind.

A 2020 All-Australian, Purcell is keen to experience more success than she has had in her three seasons at Geelong.

Coach Paul Hood resigned on Monday with a 6-17 win-loss record, having been on reduced hours this season – teaching at St Joseph's College during the day and working at Geelong in the evening – following the COVID-19 shutdown and subsequent restructure.

At this stage, the Demons are favourite to win the Geelong local's signature, although she'll be rehabbing a torn ACL until at least late February.

Such was Purcell's form this year and importance to the Cats, she finished fourth in the club's best and fairest despite missing the final four games through injury.

After a one-win season, without a coach, and a star player looking elsewhere, where are the Cats at?

How did we get here?
Geelong joined the NAB AFLW competition in 2019. After missing out on an inaugural licence, the club took on North Geelong's VFLW licence, fielding a team for the two years prior to its national entry.

The Cats carried through 12 players from their VFLW side to their first AFLW squad, including now-regulars Danielle Higgins, Jordi Ivey, Renee Garing and Maddy McMahon.

The club was granted a protected drafting zone for its first two drafts, with players able to nominate Melbourne Metro, Geelong or the whole of Victoria to be drafted to.

It helped the Cats to a certain point, landing them the likes of Nina Morrison, Purcell, Georgia Clarke, Denby Taylor, Amy McDonald, Sophie Van De Heuvel and Becky Webster (both Victorian nominations).

That zone system was removed for the 2020 NAB AFLW Draft, but Geelong stuck with the local theme, bringing in Falcons Darcy Moloney, Laura Gardiner, Steph Williams and Carly Remmos, with Olivia Barber from the Murray Bushrangers.

The missing group
Geelong carried a curious list profile into the 2021 season.

Age range at the conclusion of 2021Number of players
30-plusEight
26-29Six
22-25Four
19-21Thirteen
*Includes inactive Kate Darby (pregnancy)

Since then, 28-year-olds Maddie Boyd and Nicole Garner, and 20-year-old Mia Skinner, have been delisted.

Richmond was successful over the off-season in targeting players in the mid-20s to boost the experience and stability of its inaugural squad, but the solution is not as straightforward for Geelong.

The club's Melbourne-based players were exhausted at the conclusion of the ever-lengthening AFLW season, with the constant travel up and down the congested Princes Highway after a full day's work a wearing factor.

The trip over the West Gate Bridge is a difficult sell for Geelong, particularly for players based in the eastern half of Melbourne.

Where to from here?
Firstly, some good news.

The club's VFLW side is in excellent form, sitting second on the ladder with six wins, two losses and a percentage of 220, behind only the powerful Collingwood.

Clarke (nine goals), Barber (nine) and Williams (seven) are the team's leading goalkickers, while the club's 2018 No.1 pick Nina Morrison is closing in on a return from a second torn ACL.

In the next tier down, the Geelong Falcons under-19 side is set to face off in the NAB League Grand Final against the Oakleigh Chargers on Sunday.

If the Cats choose to go down a local route again when the draft rolls around – and the players are still available – a trio have put their hands up with strong form both for the Falcons and Vic Country.

Small forward Poppy Schaap is causing chaos at ground level, (soon to be) 19-year-old Renee Tierney is third in the overall goalkicking while Annie Lee has shown sure hands in defence.

Inside midfielder Tess Craven has consistently been the Falcons' best, but with Geelong possessing the No.1 pick in the Victorian pool (second overall), there's another star inside midfielder in Georgie Prespakis (younger sister of Carlton's Maddy) who will be commanding a top selection.

The AFL Commission has a decision to make on priority picks and possible assistance packages.

Last year, West Coast and Richmond received an extra pick at the conclusion of round one, which had to be traded to another side in return for a player (Sarah Hosking and Aisling McCarthy, respectively).

Another idea that has been floated by some rival clubs is a quasi-Cost of Living Allowance, to assist with relocation of experienced players, or simply extra money in the salary cap to help attract top talent down the highway.

The unique Geelong circumstances means a tailored assistance package would be the most suitable to get the Cats purring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an interesting discussion to be had around that last point raised - priority pick, quasi-COLA etc

- a priority pick can have it's benefits but I think we need to be looking at more options than just adding more youth to the side; we're missing balance on our list profile in terms of players in their mid-20s & we've already delisted 2 of the 10 in that age range

- I prefer the extra pick & the way it was used by WCE & Richmond last year, and think that would also make more sense for us in being able to use an additional pick to bring in some experience

- I'm not against COLA but believe it should be managed at a league level rather than a club level, and thus distributed to the players that need it. I can see a similar benefit here, and again rather than the league just throwing the money at the club, have it managed more at the league level with them working with the club for how to best use it

What I mean by that is say we are given an extra pick that we must trade for an experienced player (or even with one of our current picks), the club does all the negotiating around any trade for the player/s & their contract, it's then the league steps in to help with a reallocation assistance package or assistance in covering travel costs during the season etc

Not sure just throwing a pick at the club is the best option and I agree with the notion by Sarah Black that at this stage of the leagues development that a tailored assistance package would be most suitable

Tumultuous stuff; once the AFLW season concluded my attention on the women's game dimmed for a while, I check in properly for the first time in a couple of weeks and the coach and our 2020 B+F winner are out the door.

It's both exciting and concerning; the club has obviously fluffed their inaugural list build and also failed to develop the bevvy of kids on the list. Or has it? The club has used it's VFLW team well to pump further senior experience into it's kids; it worked last year particularly with Becky Webster; she was given more responsibility and license in the VFLW side and came back to the AFLW ready to step up a level - others like Sophie Van De Heuval have taken a little longer, but of the draftees we've brought into the club they are all still very inexperienced and young, with a lot of evident upside I'd have thought.

It is disappointing that Purcell wants out; where there's smoke there's fire, as soon as I heard the rumour earlier in the year I had that sinking feeling.

We won't go uncompensated though, and it looks like we have a chance to launch List Build II in the off-season; i.e. take a good hand to the draft.

Getting Georgie Prespakis would be massive, it all depends on those draft zoning rules moving forward. Surely there are some Falcons girls who are keen to represent the region at AFLW level, too; we should have the selections to nab a couple regardless of nominations.

The biggest challenge will be getting a couple of more experienced senior players to shift to our club despite a lack of on-field results to date, it may in fact be a bridge too far I reckon.

Worst case scenario we still have a lot of young talent to develop and presumably a new coach with fresh ideas to help them on the way.

Losing Liv is a disaster.

Epic disaster.

GO Catters

definitely sucks Daz, but as you well know the club is bigger than any individual.
We’ve seen Gary Ablett leave the club, Diesel Williams .. I was gutted when Leigh Colbert left .. turned out success wasn’t too far away ...
time to back the other Liv and her young teammates in - Who knows, we might be closer to turning the corner than the Demons; fate might have Purcell watching on jealously while her old teammates go on to success ...
Onwards and upwards ... hopefully ...

The Purcell to Melbourne rumour is an interesting one

On the AFLW board there's a "sign/trade" thread, and there's been a few things raised around Purcell to Melbourne and a couple of the comments are that it's a strange fit, that she's a good player but not necessarily the type of player Melbourne would need - then it goes into, if Melbourne are serious about trading for her, what are they willing to give up in terms of pick/s and or player/s

It hasn't been overwhelming, "yes, this is the perfect fit for Melbourne", so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out

Updates on the next season

- Clubs have been informed it will begin in December – not late January – and run through to March, culminating in a Grand Final the week before the AFL men’s season commences.

Pre-season training began in October last year, but players will return to clubs as early as late August.

These decisions allow the AFL to consolidate the talent pool and keep its finances in check, plus give free air to the AFLW Grand Final after the March Community Series but before Round 1.

- Clubs are also expecting the trade period to begin as early as the late May with further clarification on finances to come from the league.

Next season’s salary cap is locked in, but players have been unable to officially sign two-year deals due to uncertainty beyond that.

Further thoughts regarding Purcell which I hadn't considered about until I just read it now

- Purcell did her ACL on 26 Feb

- recovery time can be up to 12 months without complications and depending on how conservative the player & team is in regards to the players return

- confirmation today that the next AFLW season will run December to March, finishing the week before the AFL season starts

- this year the AFL season started March 18, but it has started later in March and thinking it may be a start date of around March 17 next year which then accommodates for 23 week season (bye round included), post season bye and 4 weeks of finals with the GF on Sept 24

- that would mean the AFLW season having their grand final about March 12

Looking at all those dates, if Purcell isn't returning from her ACL until around finals time, how will that impact potential interest from other teams & a trade? Say Melbourne is interested, how much will they be willing to pay in terms of trade value for a player who may not actually play for them next year

The Purcell to Melbourne rumour is an interesting one

On the AFLW board there's a "sign/trade" thread, and there's been a few things raised around Purcell to Melbourne and a couple of the comments are that it's a strange fit, that she's a good player but not necessarily the type of player Melbourne would need - then it goes into, if Melbourne are serious about trading for her, what are they willing to give up in terms of pick/s and or player/s

It hasn't been overwhelming, "yes, this is the perfect fit for Melbourne", so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out
I think most clubs, if honest, are still in, getting the best players possible, then making a team out of them phase. Not, getting the players you need to fill out your team.

So, I think Melbourne go for Purcell wether they need her or not.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Further thoughts regarding Purcell which I hadn't considered about until I just read it now

- Purcell did her ACL on 26 Feb

- recovery time can be up to 12 months without complications and depending on how conservative the player & team is in regards to the players return

- confirmation today that the next AFLW season will run December to March, finishing the week before the AFL season starts

- this year the AFL season started March 18, but it has started later in March and thinking it may be a start date of around March 17 next year which then accommodates for 23 week season (bye round included), post season bye and 4 weeks of finals with the GF on Sept 24

- that would mean the AFLW season having their grand final about March 12

Looking at all those dates, if Purcell isn't returning from her ACL until around finals time, how will that impact potential interest from other teams & a trade? Say Melbourne is interested, how much will they be willing to pay in terms of trade value for a player who may not actually play for them next year
With expansion Dec 2022, if Purcell commits to the Dees, then they will take her regardless of wether she plays next season, because come expansion time, every club is likely to have new spots to fill.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think most clubs, if honest, are still in, getting the best players possible, then making a team out of them phase. Not, getting the players you need to fill out your team.

So, I think Melbourne go for Purcell wether they need her or not.
Doesn't explain why St Kilda were reportedly the only other team making a play for her.

Nor does it explain why Purcell wouldn't prefer Carlton or the Western Bulldogs. Their 5-4 win-loss records hardly seem like a deal breaker, and she'd slot into their midfields so much better.

Till its professional , I think Geelong will struggle. The draft system seems to dud us... but more teams would favour us. New clubs would not attack us would they.
It is definitely a hindrance, as it seems a lot of prospects work in Melbourne - but Geelong isn't a small city so there should be opportunity to find meaningful job placements for prospective players locally. It's something country footy teams do all the time to recruit better players - I don't know if that is permitted by the AFL and whether the club has the resources to do the footwork if it is doable, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back