AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ex or current? I know they sure do spend a lot of time together. Which is why I think Dee will be good. Natural leader and can lean on Ellie at times when required for advice.
Ex.

Ellie is now going out with another AFLW player from another club

Blackburn's a consummate professional, but jeez it could be weird passing a role you've put your heart and soul into on to an ex.

The relationship dynamic across AFLW must throw up a lot of scenarios like that. I'm not naive enough to think it's never happened with the men, but purely the number of couples or ex-couples across AFLW within or between clubs which seem to be common knowledge amazes me how they all (apparently) compartmentalise between onfield and off so successfully.
Maybe they're just more mature about it?

The relationship dynamic across AFLW must throw up a lot of scenarios like that. I'm not naive enough to think it's never happened with the men, but purely the number of couples or ex-couples across AFLW within or between clubs which seem to be common knowledge amazes me how they all (apparently) compartmentalise between onfield and off so successfully.
Maybe they're just more mature about it?

I believe Tayla Harris and Kodi Jacques met when Harris clotheslined Jacques on field for sledging too hard.

I believe Tayla Harris and Kodi Jacques met when Harris clotheslined Jacques on field for sledging too hard.

Firstly I had to look up who Jacques is, 😄, and secondly it's not a dating method available to most males, whether footballers or not...

Although I did (years later as an adult) have a few reminiscing beers with an opposition player from u17 juniors after pretending I was genuinely attempting to spoil his marking efforts by repeatedly punching the back of his head each time!

Firstly I had to look up who Jacques is, 😄, and secondly it's not a dating method available to most males, whether footballers or not...

Although I did (years later as an adult) have a few reminiscing beers with an opposition player from u17 juniors after pretending I was genuinely attempting to spoil his marking efforts by repeatedly punching the back of his head each time!

Meanwhile, as part of the lesbian community, I can confirm that “getting bodied by a professional boxer and then asking for her number” is absolutely something that would happen.

Meanwhile, as part of the lesbian community, I can confirm that “getting bodied by a professional boxer and then asking for her number” is absolutely something that would happen.

Wasn't sure whether to use a 'wow' or 'laugh' emoji tbh, but appreciate the reply. Obviously I'm not part of that community (even if I have a number of work colleagues who are), so was reluctant to use any labels, and hopefully post as respectfully as I can.

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have become no strangers to personnel changes across the off-season, but one appointment on Monday proved surprising, both inside the four walls and across the AFLW landscape.

After six seasons as captain of the Bulldogs, Ellie Blackburn had been replaced as skipper, with Deanna Berry elevated in her place.

While Berry was appointed after a new, comprehensive process which included formal interviews as well as a player survey, naturally it was an emotionally fuelled announcement.
"No doubt it's been a challenging one," Berry said of the handover.

"Me and Ellie have a great relationship, and I've said all along, I'm extremely grateful that she's here because she's a great person and a great leader. I think if I can take anything out of her book to help me grow in this part of my career, it's only going to help us all along the way. "We've shared some great moments together and especially at this club, so I think what we can drive together and what she'll help me achieve along the way will be pretty special. I'm glad that she's by my side through it all."
Blackburn will remain part of Berry's official leadership group, which also includes Isabelle Pritchard, Isabella Grant, Jess Fitzgerald, and Elle Bennetts.

It’s the latest high-profile change at Whitten Oval following a disappointing 2023 season that saw the side win just one game.

Head coach Nathan Burke was moved onin favour of Tamara Hyett, list manager Mick Sandry was replaced by Dan Fisher, and Patrice Berthold was brought in as the club's general manager of women's football – a position that had been left vacant since Debbie Lee moved into an AFL role back in 2022.

The side also lost stalwart Kirsty Lamb, former No.1 draft pick Gab Newton, and key-position players Celine Moody and Katie Lynch, with the experienced quartet all traded to other clubs.
Despite the tumultuous off-season, the uphill slog facing the Dogs a cause for excitement, not alarm, in Berry’s eyes. It is a chance to introduce fresh voices, and proof the club is able to make hard decisions when they're needed.

"The most exciting thing, and I speak to Tam (Hyett) about it all the time, it's the unknown," Berry said.

"We've got a new GM, new coaching staff, we've got pretty much a whole new medical group. Everything is fresh, training looks different, everything feels different, and I'm just so excited to see what we can achieve."

A strong bond, built on respect, with Hyett will also help Berry build a strong foundation for the club as it takes this next step.

"The connection you can have with a female coach, I think it's pretty special," Berry said.

"No doubt if something was to go wrong Tam would flick you across the head, because we have that relationship already. She just means business, she's not here to f*** around… If there's something not going right, or how she wants it to go, or how we need it to be, she'll address it there."

First selected with pick No.9 in the inaugural Telstra AFLW draft by Melbourne, Berry joined the Bulldogs the following year via trade and played in the club's historic premiership that same season.

Since reaching the pinnacle, however, footy life has been a little rockier for Berry, who has played 47 games over eight seasons.

"I was probably a little arrogant 18-year-old (in 2017) … it was actually in that premiership season where Paul Groves dropped me and was like 'you need to work harder' and I was like 'okay this is what it means, this is what I have to do'."
Once an understanding of what is required to maintain her status as an elite footballer was struck, the next battle was a frustrating run with injury. Berry ruptured her ACL in the club's round five win over Greater Western Sydney in 2021, and returned to the field exactly one year later.

"Doing my knee, and then I've had three shoulder (reconstructions) since," Berry said.

"That resilience side of things has just continued to grow. And understanding how my body works and the hard work side of things and understanding it's not just when I'm here, you have to do a lot of stuff away from the club as well, otherwise it all comes undone.

"Especially for someone like me, my body's very injury-prone, so it's understanding how I can best get the most out of my body as well."
It’s that commitment to rise when challenged that propelled Berry to put her hand up for the captaincy this year.

"It was a very thorough process," Berry said.

"It was going to be whoever was going to be the best person. I put my hat in the ring and I didn't know what would come from it, and I was just lucky enough that it did.

"I never even thought (captaincy) would be something I'd even put my hand up for.”

With a near on unrecognisable team both on-field and off, who knows what the Bulldogs might unleash in 2024. It is a group that could be anything this year, and only time will tell what that might be.

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have become no strangers to personnel changes across the off-season, but one appointment on Monday proved surprising, both inside the four walls and across the AFLW landscape.

After six seasons as captain of the Bulldogs, Ellie Blackburn had been replaced as skipper, with Deanna Berry elevated in her place.

While Berry was appointed after a new, comprehensive process which included formal interviews as well as a player survey, naturally it was an emotionally fuelled announcement.
"No doubt it's been a challenging one," Berry said of the handover.

"Me and Ellie have a great relationship, and I've said all along, I'm extremely grateful that she's here because she's a great person and a great leader. I think if I can take anything out of her book to help me grow in this part of my career, it's only going to help us all along the way. "We've shared some great moments together and especially at this club, so I think what we can drive together and what she'll help me achieve along the way will be pretty special. I'm glad that she's by my side through it all."
Blackburn will remain part of Berry's official leadership group, which also includes Isabelle Pritchard, Isabella Grant, Jess Fitzgerald, and Elle Bennetts.

It’s the latest high-profile change at Whitten Oval following a disappointing 2023 season that saw the side win just one game.

Head coach Nathan Burke was moved onin favour of Tamara Hyett, list manager Mick Sandry was replaced by Dan Fisher, and Patrice Berthold was brought in as the club's general manager of women's football – a position that had been left vacant since Debbie Lee moved into an AFL role back in 2022.

The side also lost stalwart Kirsty Lamb, former No.1 draft pick Gab Newton, and key-position players Celine Moody and Katie Lynch, with the experienced quartet all traded to other clubs.
Despite the tumultuous off-season, the uphill slog facing the Dogs a cause for excitement, not alarm, in Berry’s eyes. It is a chance to introduce fresh voices, and proof the club is able to make hard decisions when they're needed.

"The most exciting thing, and I speak to Tam (Hyett) about it all the time, it's the unknown," Berry said.

"We've got a new GM, new coaching staff, we've got pretty much a whole new medical group. Everything is fresh, training looks different, everything feels different, and I'm just so excited to see what we can achieve."

A strong bond, built on respect, with Hyett will also help Berry build a strong foundation for the club as it takes this next step.

"The connection you can have with a female coach, I think it's pretty special," Berry said.

"No doubt if something was to go wrong Tam would flick you across the head, because we have that relationship already. She just means business, she's not here to f*** around… If there's something not going right, or how she wants it to go, or how we need it to be, she'll address it there."

First selected with pick No.9 in the inaugural Telstra AFLW draft by Melbourne, Berry joined the Bulldogs the following year via trade and played in the club's historic premiership that same season.

Since reaching the pinnacle, however, footy life has been a little rockier for Berry, who has played 47 games over eight seasons.

"I was probably a little arrogant 18-year-old (in 2017) … it was actually in that premiership season where Paul Groves dropped me and was like 'you need to work harder' and I was like 'okay this is what it means, this is what I have to do'."
Once an understanding of what is required to maintain her status as an elite footballer was struck, the next battle was a frustrating run with injury. Berry ruptured her ACL in the club's round five win over Greater Western Sydney in 2021, and returned to the field exactly one year later.

"Doing my knee, and then I've had three shoulder (reconstructions) since," Berry said.

"That resilience side of things has just continued to grow. And understanding how my body works and the hard work side of things and understanding it's not just when I'm here, you have to do a lot of stuff away from the club as well, otherwise it all comes undone.

"Especially for someone like me, my body's very injury-prone, so it's understanding how I can best get the most out of my body as well."
It’s that commitment to rise when challenged that propelled Berry to put her hand up for the captaincy this year.

"It was a very thorough process," Berry said.

"It was going to be whoever was going to be the best person. I put my hat in the ring and I didn't know what would come from it, and I was just lucky enough that it did.

"I never even thought (captaincy) would be something I'd even put my hand up for.”

With a near on unrecognisable team both on-field and off, who knows what the Bulldogs might unleash in 2024. It is a group that could be anything this year, and only time will tell what that might be.
I'm very bad at reading between the lines, but I'm assuming the leadership got put to a vote and the players picked Berry over Ellie?

Genuine what the ****...???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very bad at reading between the lines, but I'm assuming the leadership got put to a vote and the players picked Berry over Ellie?

Genuine what the ****...???
Who knows, would be a headscratcher if that was the case

The best player doesn't necessarily = best leader though. I trust the players judgement on it.

Not fussed really myself. I think the team needed a big overhaul across all areas, fresh coaching voices, and a more professional approach from the players, coupled with getting some games into their legs in the VFLW. A new voice at captain can't hurt either.

Though I will admit I am just as surprised.

THE AFLW'S first fully national draft will be held on Monday, December 16, with a seven-day trade period locked in for the week prior.

While last year's draft allowed prospects to nominate for a national pool, the 2024 Telstra AFLW Draft will be the first time in the competition's history that all players will be eligible to be drafted to any club across the country.

Previous drafts were state-based, due to the part-time nature of the competition, but an average 20 per cent increase in remuneration for AFLW draftees as well as the recent introduction of relocation allowances have paved the way for a fully national draft.
With a handful of potential draftees vying to be the number one pick, the 2024 draft is set to be full of intrigue and excitement.

Queenslander Havana Harris is a tantalising prospect as she's spent her draft year playing as both a ruck and a tall midfielder. Silky skilled midfielder Ash Centra has also attracted plenty of attention for her poise and composure under pressure.
Sharpshooter India Rasheed - daughter of Australian tennis great Roger - is also in the frame due to her marking ability and accuracy in front of goal.

Fast and agile by name and nature, Western Australian talent Zippy Fish will be high on draft boards across the country.
Sierra Grieves has rocketed into top-five contention in recent weeks after strong performances in the Coates Talent League.

Before the draft, the 2024 AFLW trade period will commence just five days after the 2024 AFLW Grand Final and run from Thursday, December 5 until Wednesday, December 11.

With the introduction of multi-year player contracts this year, it's expected to be a less hectic trade period compared to last season which saw 41 players move clubs, including an unprecedented 11-player trade.

A restricted free agency period will run alongside the trade period from Wednesday, December 4 until Thursday, December 11. During this time, only certain players can move clubs. A player who has previously been signed on a one-year deal and is offered another one-year deal by the same club but at a lower payment tier than the previous contract is considered to be a restricted free agent. If another club offers this player a payment at or above their previous payment tier, the player is able to move to that club as a restricted free agent during this window.

Clubs can pick up players who have been delisted by other clubs via the delisted free agency (DFA) period which also runs from Wednesday, December 4 until Wednesday, December 11. A second DFA period will be open for just two days following the conclusion of the trade period.

Following the draft on December 16, there will be a supplementary signing period (SSP) in February where clubs that still have list spots can pick up players who nominated for the draft but were not selected.

The rookie signing period runs concurrently with the SSP, where players who have not played or been registered with an AFL program in the last three years can be recruited. Previously, this mechanism has been used to recruit Irish players or cross-code rookies, similar to a category B rookie in the AFL.

Draft nominations open on Wednesday, November 6 and close on Wednesday, November 27.
KEY AFLW PLAYER MOVEMENT DATES

• Monday, November 4: First Rookie Signing period opens
  • Wednesday, November 6: AFLW Draft nominations open
  • Wednesday, November 27: AFLW Draft nominations close
  • Saturday, November 30: 2024 NAB AFLW Grand Final
  • Wednesday, December 4: Restricted Free Agency and first Delisted Free Agency Period opens
  • Thursday, December 5: AFLW Trade Period opens
  • Wednesday, December 11: AFLW Trade, Restricted Free Agency and first Delisted Free Agency periods close
  • Thursday, December 12: First Rookie Signing period closes; second Delisted Free Agency period opens
  • Friday, December 13: Second Delisted Free Agency period closes; 2024 Telstra AFLW Draft order finalised
  • Monday, December 16: 2024 Telstra AFLW Draft
  • Monday, February 3, 2025: Supplementary Signing Period opens
  • Friday, February 28, 2025: Supplementary Signing Period closes

The Western Bulldogs will put their pre-season preparation to the test in an AFLW match simulation training session against Richmond at Punt Road Oval on Saturday.

The hit-out will mark the Bulldogs’ first against opposition, and only chance to see the red, white and blue in Victoria before the 2024 NAB AFLW season kicks off later this month.

The match will be live streamed below from 1pm AEST tomorrow.
Gate 1 at Punt Road Oval will be open from 12.30pm, with free entry. Please note there is no public parking at the venue.

The Bulldogs will face Gold Coast in an official practice match next Saturday evening at People First Stadium, before their season opener against GWS at Manuka Oval on Saturday 31 August.

The Dogs’ first home game at the redeveloped Mission Whitten Oval will be during week two against Port Adelaide on Friday 6 September.

Match Details

Richmond v Western Bulldogs
Match simulation (4 x quarters)
Saturday 10 August, 1pm AEST
Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval

The Western Bulldogs will put their pre-season preparation to the test in an AFLW match simulation training session against Richmond at Punt Road Oval on Saturday.

The hit-out will mark the Bulldogs’ first against opposition, and only chance to see the red, white and blue in Victoria before the 2024 NAB AFLW season kicks off later this month.

The match will be live streamed below from 1pm AEST tomorrow.
Gate 1 at Punt Road Oval will be open from 12.30pm, with free entry. Please note there is no public parking at the venue.

The Bulldogs will face Gold Coast in an official practice match next Saturday evening at People First Stadium, before their season opener against GWS at Manuka Oval on Saturday 31 August.

The Dogs’ first home game at the redeveloped Mission Whitten Oval will be during week two against Port Adelaide on Friday 6 September.

Match Details

Richmond v Western Bulldogs
Match simulation (4 x quarters)
Saturday 10 August, 1pm AEST
Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval

I'll be there, will give any updates that might not come through well on the stream.

Last edited:
Getting plenty of looks inside 50 but just not capitlising and Richmond are dominating the aerial game. We're doing really well at ground level with Pritchard just about best on ground for us to 3QT. Berry, Edmonds, Wilcox and Blackburn all solid as well and Fitzgerald has done some nice things in the backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back