AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have a lot of the players we need for a good future side. Wilcox, both Smiths, Grigg, Weston-Turner all have a lot going for them and are under the age of 21. We have a super impressive group of 22-year-olds coming into their own - Grant, Pritchard, Hartwig, and Georgostathis. With better coaching and more experience, that's a core that can go a long way.

Well I have to say I didn’t expect us to kick 5 goals and was proud that we fought it out to the last quarter and we arguably played our best footy for the year in the second half. Given what happened in the first quarter I was very concerned that we wouldn’t score but we reset after QT.

Really impressed with Hartwig, without McFarlane or McKee down there she had a hell of lot to carry and after a bad miss she stepped up to the plate and went into beast mode. Ahrens likewise was largely impressive in defence given the sheer number of inside 50s they had.

Pritchard
and Edmonds were dominant around the stoppages and I thought Fitzgerald had her best game of the year playing more up the ground, I was also impressed with Jasmyn Smith who really applied some much-needed pressure around the ball.

What was disappointing was our ball use and the large number of basic skill errors, yes it can partially be explained by Brisbane’s pressure and how young and inexperienced we are but in all 4 games this year we’ve dropped easy chest marks, missed kicks, missed handballs and missed tackles that we really shouldn’t be.

Letting Conway run around uncontested was also very disappointing and our set up around the stoppages was at sometimes just baffling. Take the example below, we have a forward 50 stoppage and Pritchard is taking the ruck contest while we have 2nd ruck in Borg in the goal square, surely Borg should be rucking in this situation so Pritchard can win the ball, but what’s really damning is that there are three Brisbane lions players surrounding the ball drop zone while we have ZERO players anywhere near it. Unless Pritchard received a ruck free kick the only result was a Brisbane clearance.

IMG_2692.jpeg

Overall despite the loss and margin and no Blackburn we did take some steps forward tonight with the most important aspect being we didn't go into our shell after QT. The last two games have definitely shown we are moving in the right direction but it's certainly a long road.

For anyone with inside info, is Edmonds viewed as leadership material? On form alone (not a great indicator I know) she shows more than Berry. Maybe Berry is trying too hard and will grow into the role.

Still completely baffling the change was made, and I'm still not entirely convinced even from Ellie's comments, that she gave it up voluntarily.

It could hardly be less ambiguous. The coach gave Blackburn no choice. Hence the comments on The W Show by Kate McCarthy:

And Blackburn's own comments the following week reiterated it was taken off her: "On the field I'm gonna keep being myself and keep trying to lead and, regardless of a title, I don't think that's something you can take away from me."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Western Bulldogs have added Elisabeth Georgostathis, Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, Naomi Ferres and Analea McKee to their squad ahead of Sunday’s AFLW match against Collingwood at Victoria Park.

Coming off a four-day break against Brisbane on Wednesday, the Dogs have bolstered their line-up with fresh legs.

The only confirmed out at this stage is Brooke Barwick, who is being managed.

Jorja Borg, Ellie Gavalas, Aurora Smith and Elle Bennetts make up the remainder of the extended bench.

A final team of 21 plus three emergencies will be named on Friday at 5pm AEST.

The first bounce will be at 3.05pm on Sunday afternoon, and broadcast live on Channel 7, Fox Footy and Kayo Sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back