AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Grigg's shown more in four games than almost all of our earlier first-round draft picks over recent years. What a find. We're asking her to play a specific role but it's not hard to imagine giving her more responsibility for more impact very quickly in her career. A great find.

Last edited:
I love Grigg's attack on the footy and her ferociousness when tackling, but she needs to be a bit careful or she'll get done for a sling tackle.

Great day at the footy and so happy for the girls to get a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Grigg's attack on the footy and her ferociousness when tackling, but she needs to be a bit careful or she'll get done for a sling tackle.

Great day at the footy and so happy for the girls to get a win.
I think aflw in general is careless when it comes to tackling and players need to be more careful.
Have the players been shown the correct way to tackle, or is it that women donā€™t have the upper body strength of men to guide the player to the ground?

By far the best day out at the AFLW in a long time, apart from the opening minutes we hardly put a foot wrong.

Obviously, Collingwood has a huge injury list and is using train on players, so this was always going to be a winnable game for us, but the Pies still had 100+ career games on us and we were 2 years younger on average and It wasnā€™t just that the Pies were poor it was how good we were, especially when we didnā€™t have the ball, easily our best pressure and tackling game in probably over a year.

We won and had season-best performances in these crucial KPIs ā€¦

Contested Possessions
Uncontested Possessions
Clearances
Inside 50s
Tackles
Disposal Efficiency
Shots Per Inside 50

Young teams make it or break with confidence and it was clear that everyone was on the same page today with confidence levels continuing to rise after each goal we kicked.

We kept Collingwood to 1 solitary point after QT and did not concede ANY score from turnovers for the entire match, a real rarity in the AFLW.

I was really impressed with how we chained the ball inside 50, it wasnā€™t just bombing it long and hoping to win a contested mark or ground ball, we actually were composed for the most part, looking for the handball on the outside or chipping it around until we had players deep inside 50. Did we kick it straight to their defenders a few times, yes but we didnā€™t revert back to the old bombing it in. That shows growth and what this team is building towards.

Pritchard lead from the front with 28 disposals, 14 contested , 6 clearances, 5 inside 50s and will no doubt receive the 3 votes on B&F night. Sheā€™s had a lot pressure from the media and fans on needing to take the Blackburn role but letā€™s not forget that sheā€™s still only 22 years old. Our priority should be getting her signature on a long term contract as she is the clear favourite now for our club B&F.

Edmonds was outstanding as she has been all year and Fitzgerald has had an excellent couple of games as well. Woodley, Hartwig, Wilcox and Grigg all stood up in big moments. It was very much a team effort and it would be difficult to find anyone to criticise really.

We also got to see what Weston-Turner will offer us in the next decade or so, such an exciting player.

Again Iā€™m sure none of us are under any delusion that we played an easy opponent today and Iā€™m sure weā€™ll have plenty of frustrating games over the next month or so but today we saw a glimpse of what the future holds.

I was on the highway so I saw none of the game but it's very gratifying to see the result.

Good to read the individual player reviews, thanks for those.

Any thoughts on the impact Tamara Hyett is having? Specifically how she is shaping the team and its direction? Any other off-field changes having an impact?

I was on the highway so I saw none of the game but it's very gratifying to see the result.

Good to read the individual player reviews, thanks for those.

Any thoughts on the impact Tamara Hyett is having? Specifically how she is shaping the team and its direction? Any other off-field changes having an impact?

I still think it's too early to get a complete picture, turning over a third of the list and completely turning over the football department was unprecedented, so it is hard to compare.

What is clear is the game style Hyett wants us to play, which is a much more uncontested style and chaining kicks and handballs inside 50. I've also noticed that we now using the switch more often than not. In the Burke era even when we made finals we were never really a team that had good entries inside 50, we were serial bombers and we scored largely due to the weight of inside 50s we had.

In terms of team morale, it's certainly a good sign that players like Blackburn, Edmonds, Georgostathis and Wilcox have all signed long-term contracts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back