Autopsy After a tight😶 half of football we steamroll Essendon by 39

Remove this Banner Ad

You hear Longmire comment when asked about resting Grundy that they basically leave it up to him because he knows his body so well. I’m sure it’s not solely up to him but you’d have to think that given we’ll have likely secured a top two spot by the end of the weekend, the coaches can say to him enough is enough and you need a rest before finals.

I guess there’s a chance that whatever he’s carrying won’t be helped much by resting and instead moving around is best for him? But feels like a rest would do him good considering just how frail he looked last night. Give McAndrew a proper test with a full game against Riley O’Brien next week for experience.
He'll get a weeks rest at a minimum

Also wont need to leave Sydney until grand final at the worst

Not overly concerned

We can’t rest everyone. Top spot isn’t totally wrapped up if we lose by a huge margin to the Crows next week. Though I’m hoping Port and the Crows bash each other up in the Showdown so we get a relatively bruise free encounter next week. I think the team is already collectively carrying enough bruises.

Re Grundy, I know it can seem convenient to attribute a drop in form of a player to injury, but I suspect it's almost always the case with experienced, quality players. There are lots of things he was doing in the first half of the season that he's not doing now. It could be a back issue. It could be a groin issue. He doesn't seem to have any power in his core, which is allowing him to be pushed out of contests. And he's not getting down to scrap at ground level the way he was.
You’ve evidently also heard about the AFL’s plan to dock all non-Vic clubs 16 points for “competition equilibration” purposes….

Horse seemingly has no answers for our slow starts, which is a massive concern as you have to wonder where that change is going to come from. We still look lost whenever our corridor game plan gets shut down. And a lot of our players look like shells of their best selves from earlier in the year. So I'm not yet convinced the coaches and conditioning staff haven't bungled this season.
The issue isn't with Horse. The players don't turn up.

Maybe he needs to give them a rip before the bounce? But the slow start starts with the players. It's not the positioning or tactics which are the issue

Haven't read whole thread.
But.
Lel.
ll8iw1hap0jd1.gif
When this shot was taken I said to my kids "and the Bomber's fans died". Loved it!

Will Taylor Adams request a trade when he doesn’t get picked for the GF two years in a row?

Don’t see him in our best 23 if/when everyone is fit.

Overall, a good team win.

Early on, when the going was tough, it was the unheralded players who kept us in it. Impressed by the games of Hayward, Campbell, Roberts, Jordon and Rowbottom.
Mills was good down back. Caiden Cleary showed a bit as well. And JJ kept Merrett to 17 disposals.

Some good moves by the coaches.

Worry - Brodie Grundy has had a big season, but looks in need of a spell.

We won this game in the first and second quarter IMHO.

There was a period, maybe end of the first were they were all over us out of the midfield, so many repeat entries into the 50 it was absolutely absurd, but our pressure all over the park went up to heights they couldn't cope with, Swans literally refused to let them score and they folded. Like Essendon do. They knew their best wasn't good enough even when things were all going their way.
From then on it was only a matter of by how much. We tired a bit at the end of the second quarter for the last ten minutes, but they couldn't muster anything.

To see Cleary maniacally chasing them down in the fourth when he was outnumbered 2 to 1 after the game was well won demonstrated the difference between the teams. Our guys wanted it more, even though it was their season on the line. Back home to Melbourne they go, for a week of coffees, chatting up the girls and looking the part. A club of pretenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does Adams fit in all this? His experience will be invaluable in the finals but arguably not doing enough.

Cleary breathing down his neck.
He is very leggy, if given two weeks off might return to his early season form. Hard to say. Just doesn't have the initial burst he needs to get clearances or make the tackle and hasn't for about 4 weeks. Either make him the sub next week or give him the week off.

Sheldrick MUST get a run to see if he can win us clearances next week.

The issue isn't with Horse. The players don't turn up.

Maybe he needs to give them a rip before the bounce? But the slow start starts with the players. It's not the positioning or tactics which are the issue
If the players aren't turning up, that's on the coach. Their job is to fix issues in the team. This issue has been there for months now with no resolution in sight.

If the players aren't turning up, that's on the coach. Their job is to fix issues in the team. This issue has been there for months now with no resolution in sight.

Time and time again the club has proved all the resources and knowledge and stability are available to the squad to win

There is only so much a club can do

It's up to the players to win the flag there are no question marks over the decades of elite performance SSMFC has put up for a few squad generations

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy After a tight😶 half of football we steamroll Essendon by 39

Remove this Banner Ad

Back